Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Expanding Legends League   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
While legends is the top rung on the ladder, there is some pretty good baseball being played in lower leagues. Take a look at recent cup results. With more regular owners out there, the quality of teams appears to be going up. I'm not sure if that's an argument for or against this suggestion. I'm for improvement of this great game, I'm just thinking there are possibly some unintended consequences that would need to be addressed for a small increase to the legends league.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't have particularly strong feeling either way in regards to expanding. Just trying to brainstorm how it could be done.
raygen12

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I just felt like it would make the top level a lot more exciting and cool to play in or watch happen every year.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It would not be trivial to re-progam the scheduling and league configuration just for a larger Legends league. Additionally, how would promotion and demotion work with a larger Legends league?

The advantage of having smaller leagues is that you get teams that are closer in overall strength competing against each other. An expanded Legends league would mean you'd get a lot more lopsided games...I think the spread between teams ranked #1-24 is much greater than #1-12.

That said...I am willing to listening to all arguments for it.

Steve
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While I like the idea of an expanded legends league in theory, I don't see it happening for the reasons Steve mentioned -- mainly because it would be a headache to draw everything up.

Scheduling
Playoff Format
Playoff Schedule
Promotion/Demotion
Realignment of ALL league structures
Etc...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Promotions and demotions wouldn't need to change. There are no promotions in Legends, so that part is easy. Demotions would be exactly the same. Bottom two demote from each division.

As far as effort to implement, that is totally in Steve's court, and I could see it being a considerable effort. Probably not worth it at the expense of Steve's time.
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes this would be a relatively huge programming project. Tiger mentioned earlier about unforeseen/unintended consequences, Steve brought up the talent differential in an expanded league structure as a possible issue. There may be a few more, either negative or positive.

That being said; the suggestion is extending legends to 18 teams (9 per division). A one time reconfiguration would shuffle around around some teams and create six new teams, possibly at the VI league level.

Six more teams is the smallest possible change, since all team additions would need to be in multiples of six to conserve the cup structure. With this suggestion only one more cup group is added, with the winner getting an automatic pass and the rest of the 256 slots will be filled by at large (same of before).

Most importantly the BB pyramid structure stays untouched. Bottom 2 demote, and top 2 from II.1 and II.2 promote. Legends league is the only place where a playoff can take place, since there is no promotion at stake. As to taking the top 2 or top 3 is still up in the air, both are hypothetically doable.

The scheduling will required the greatest adjustment, but a few ideas were brainstormed in the current topic. There are ways to keep 160 games, interdivisional play and playing against all teams the same number of times. With 160 games and top 2 playing a division final (Bo5) before the league final (Bo7), only 1 more day is required (see previous messages in topic).

I wholeheartedly believe that this will increase the rivalries at the highest level and am in favor of making legends a bit different from the rest, giving it an allure of being something special. This was just an idea that came to mind and didn't seem to completely rebuild the BB league structure.

*fixed typos, for some reason I only find them after posting...

Updated Tuesday, July 5 2016 @ 3:01:00 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Between the auto-miscorrecter, my broken 'r' key and the tiny edit window, I always find types after I post as well.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I tend to be against most changes, so take this with a pinch of salt if you wish.

I don't see how expanding Legends would make it any more exciting/interesting. I would think just being in Legends, competing against the very best in the game, is exciting and epic as it is. To get to that level is an achievement above almost all others - staying there and/or winning it all the ultimate goal.

Its already competitive enough up there (I would imagine), making it even tougher to win..? Is there that much of a benefit to gain?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
While I like the idea ( I'd submitted a similar suggestion some time back), I'd rather see some other things added first. I just feel there are other upgrades/additions on the list that would improve the game more, for about the same, or even less, work.

Previous Page | Show All |