Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Fatigue Injuries   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Basically, I'm just using an exponential based on total playing time during the year in order to emulate a fatigue function. Fatigue functions are always exponential.

For the calculations I set the age and endurance factors to 1. I think these factors are obvious, but they could fluctuate slightly from 1 to provide more variety and increase fatigue with age.

The primary factors are the PA factor and the position factor. The position factor should be straight forward. It just means that positions like catcher gain fatigue more quickly than other positions. Just look at the examples I gave and you can see how the growth differs with different position factors, but equal PA factors.

The PA factor is just the total number of PAs for any player raised to the 0.2. 0.2 gives a pretty flat curve, which is why I used that number. A different number could be used if you wanted a more dramatic effect on fatigue based on how far into the season you were.

Basically what this function does is (slightly) increase the amount of fatigue you gain each game depending on how many games you have already played in the season. So a guy who only gets a pinch hit every 3 games isn't going to fatigue as fast as a guy who is playing every game.

The high level mechanic is:
- Gain fatigue after each game
- Lose fatigue after each day of rest

The trick is finding a function and variables that give an accurate emulation of fatigue over the course of a long season. I think the numbers I'm using are pretty close.

So for instance, the calculation on Day 150 for a Catcher with 564 PAs was:

New_Fatigue = Old_Fatigue + ((Total_PA_This_Year)^Playtime_Factor * Position_Factor * Endurance_Factor * Age_Factor)

New_Fatigue = 0 + ((564)^0.2 * 2 * 1 * 1)
= 7.09

But on Day 1 the calculation is
New_Fatigue = 0 + ((4)^0.2 * 2 * 1 * 1)
= 2.64

If you are wondering why it is 4 and not 0, the calculation is going to happen after the game. My players at least seem to average pretty close to 4 PAs per game, so that was the number I used for the estimates. In both those calculations the player only got 4 PAs, but in the first calculation he gained more fatigue because he has been playing full time for almost a whole year at that point.

The idea with the cutoff is that players shouldn't suffer the effects of fatigue until they reach some limit. In other words, I shouldn't perform noticeably worse in game 2 because I am tired from game 1. But I might perform noticeably different in game 7. With the numbers I used, 20 seems pretty reasonable. That would mean the Catcher would need to rest every 3.5 days late in the season in order to avoid any fatigue penalty.

Updated Thursday, October 6 2016 @ 7:05:41 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not long ago you were saying there isn't much gain in having more than 20 at bats per week. Now it's detrimental to development to have few at bats. Which is it?

But we're moving off topic a bit. Can you explain your suggestion more and differently? I'm still not sure I'm getting it.

Regarding hidden energy, I said that because it keeps the calculation a little more difficult to guess.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The genesis of the fatigue injury was because there were so many players logging 160 game seasons which seemed unrealistic and meant you needed almost no depth. So the fatigue injury was actually an improvement. That said, I don't think it's great.

I do wonder how many managers really want to manage player fatigue...but clearly there are some. So whatever system has to work for both the casual and the more hardcore user.

I think maybe to start we need to create (as you said), something like an Energy/Fatigue value for position players. Algo to be determined and tweaked. Then users can either substitute manually or set a management setting to automatically do it at some energy level, perhaps?

Steve
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My biggest concern would be for more casual players/players in time zones in which it is not convenient to change rosters in between games on the same day, as they could be at a disadvantage if fatigue is calculated on a game-by-game basis.

Edit: Although I should add I am in favour of having some sort of fatigue value added to players, would add to the realism and encourage roster depth.

Updated Thursday, October 6 2016 @ 8:44:04 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

set a management setting to automatically do it at some energy level, perhaps?

I think that makes a lot of sense. It could even just be a check box, for "Automatically rest players with fatigue over 20%" (assuming you used 20% as the cutoff). That way players who didn't want to manage things on a game by game basis could have it done for them. Those who want to plan ahead when its best to rest a guy might choose to do it a game or two early so they can use the guy against a certain opponent (just like we do now with pitchers). Or if I was in the last game of a tight series, I might choose to let that guy with 22% fatigue stay in the game.

Updated Thursday, October 6 2016 @ 9:11:28 pm PDT
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
By fatigue injury, I am guessing that means the few days a player is forced not to play (1-10 days). I am not opposed to this type of injury because a player can tweak something and be day to day in real life. What I would like to see is some sort of health/fatigue meter. A player could still tweak something then be forced to sit a few games. After those games, you could use it to decide to rest or play him. This meter could also be used to rest players before they are injured. I just want the freedom to play a C,SS, or any player everday if that player has the durability to play it. Cal Ripken Jr played all those games at SS through little nagging injuries.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think if we actually tracked fatigue, we could just have an increase chance of normal injuries and decrease in performance if fatigue gets too high. Then you wouldn't need fatigue injuries. You could choose to keep guys out of the lineup to reduce their fatigue.
RDailey1948

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What is status on this? Thnx RD
KrusherKev

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
First spring training game of the season, pitcher comes in at end of game, throws two yes TWO pitches and is now injured with fatigue for next two days...really?
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I got 3 people injured in my first series. It made no sense, none of them have played since October of last year.

Previous Page | Show All |