Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> New Managers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Three: You can drop managers whenever you want. I hired one, then fired him 2 weeks later because one with 15 player development popped up.

George Steinbrenner mode :-)

Okay, thanks for the input. I'm still trying to figure out how to improve the system. Just made the arrival time random at the beginning of this season, so trying to figure out if that's made things better or worse.

Don't really have a problem with people hiring and firing managers often. In term of keeping them too long, I think the goal is to make their salary increase to the point that there are similar managers cheaper. Or make their cost such that their value is exceeded.

Steve
dmcc1

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm always against having anything forced on me arbitrarily by a game. If I find a manager I like and can afford why shouldn't I keep him as long as I want?

Games should always be about choices/decisions. And fun.
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Games should always be about choices/decisions. And fun.

That what the games really are. Its fun to make choices. Sequence of interesting choices.
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm late to the thread and fairly new to the game, but as I read through these comments on Managers, it brought some questions and ideas to mind from an entry level team.

The randomness of new managers coming in to the game is fine, I guess, although I like the waiver idea for equality of opportunity. Regardless, it is the search process that I am most curious about. It was stated that the new managers are sequentially numbered. The post read "they're still sequential, its just that they are being activated randomly in that sequence. If you search through the newest batch of managers you'll find around half a dozen are active while the rest are "not available yet". But, how do you do this search for the "newest batch of managers"? I think this would be helpful info for newer players such as myself that may not understand the workings of the game as well as the veteran players. Perhaps even added to the guidelines for newbies to follow.

And I presume you can bookmark those "not available yet" to be made aware of when the best ones hit the market, so timing/luck/knowledge of the process are still a part of the result.

Learning how to do that would eliminate the suggestion I was going to offer, which would have been a way to "flag" a manager you know you don't want so that they filter out of the manager search pool. For example, I just did a search for new managers and most of them I have seen before (multiple times) but had to look through again (not knowing the numbering filter process). If I were looking for a developmental manager, I'd like a way to flag all those that say "poor teacher of the game" to not come up in my searches any more.

The other part of this thread that I found interesting is how the manager doesn't really impact the game much. From a new player's perspective and the layout of the game, one would assume the manager would have more of an impact in the team's/player's success than is noted in the thread. There is a specific click for an available pool of managers, just like free agents: they were created with different skill sets and scouting reports, that develop/regress over time; there is a specific page just to view your manager, his attributes, his ratings, and statistical history...an awful lot of programming work for an element that seemingly doesn't have much impact but portrays like it would.

I would like to see a good manager have a greater impact on the game, both in development as well as in-game strategy. (Note: I did play-by-play of my games today and found a lot of hitters that swung 3-0, regardless of game situation. That may be a part of PD, but you can be sure that a coach would red-light certain players with that count regardless of their PD. Maybe a rating for 3-0 counts could be added to the management selections.) Manager salaries would increase proportionately to their development. But there would have to be a way to provide equal opportunities for the lower division/poorer teams. From a strategy aspect, perhaps a rebuilding team might be willing to spend bigger money on a talented developmental manager to help them become a better team, if the manager had more impact.

Just some thoughts to consider...
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The other part of this thread that I found interesting is how the manager doesn't really impact the game much. From a new player's perspective and the layout of the game, one would assume the manager would have more of an impact in the team's/player's success than is noted in the thread.

It's hard to quantify exactly, but my goal is to make managers affect on the game approximately equal to one of the other players (a starter) on your team.

When the new manager format was introduced, there was a lot of apprehension about it. Specifically, people thought that without a "top" manager, they'd no longer be competitive...and that's just not the case.

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

But, how do you do this search for the "newest batch of managers"? I think this would be helpful info for newer players such as myself that may not understand the workings of the game as well as the veteran players. Perhaps even added to the guidelines for newbies to follow.

If you click on a manager, you will notice an ID# at the end of the web address. These are sequential, with the newest one having the highest ID#. Players work the same way. Also, League ID#s go in order from Legends (1) to VI.32 (63). Team ID numbers have no coherent ordering due to 30 seasons of promotions and demotions along with location changes.
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the clarification Steve. I think that that is fair. The discussion seemed to imply a lesser impact. What do you think about adding a 3-0 count decision to the management selections by hitter, choosing whether to green light, red light, or leave neutral?

newtman, thank you..that was very helpful. I now have a better understanding of the process and this makes the search for a better manager less painful. I did find an upgrade, but always on the lookout for the next one.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The other part of this thread that I found interesting is how the manager doesn't really impact the game much. From a new player's perspective and the layout of the game, one would assume the manager would have more of an impact in the team's/player's success than is noted in the thread.

It's hard to quantify exactly, but my goal is to make managers affect on the game approximately equal to one of the other players (a starter) on your team.

When the new manager format was introduced, there was a lot of apprehension about it. Specifically, people thought that without a "top" manager, they'd no longer be competitive...and that's just not the case.

Steve

IMO we need any system that does NOT require sifting through 2700 managers one by one daily to see if they have "appeared" yet. (and we do this by manipulating the address bar one at a time???)

Nothing is fun about that.
If there was an option to fire the manager and go without then that would be my choice, to protest this time wasting workload of page loading.

Simple solution: just make them all the same or give us "x" number of manager skills to arrange how we see fit between manager categories.

End the insanity!!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It isn't difficult to check the new managers, using the system newtman discussed above. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to sift through the latest batch, and in 20 mins you can go a whole lot further. And obviously, if you're happy with your manager (one way or another) you don't have to search at all!

Are some managers better than others? Yes. Is it the be-all and end-all? No.
Den Duston

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
oh missed the great suggestion of newtman! nice

Previous Page | Show All |