Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Runners in Scoring Position   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Who in the H E double hockey sticks is Canton Fisk?

I ain't no Ph.D candidate, but common sense tells me a lot of things. If a hitter who is more comfortable than most other hitters in clutch situations, it will show up with better stats. As that hitter faces more pitchers who are more comfortable in clutch situations, his stats will most likely go down because he is facing the same level of competition in clutch situation. It is like a team dominating in Lvl VI and struggling the next season in Lvl V. Rating clutch performance in MLB is an art rather than a science because it has the top 750 or so players out of 10's of thousands (or more) players worldwide. Couple this with all the scouting and video that is available to MLB, it easy to statistically argue that being clutch is a myth. Maybe if these two articles used all levels of sports instead of only MLB, they would make a stronger point.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I briefly played a different baseball simulation in which I was able to convert experience points into numerous player attributes. This game, and my prior experience in RPGs, has given me some theories to how the game engine to BB may be. The scouting report we see maybe an index of numerous attributes and skills that only the game engine knows. These unseen attributes and skills is what actually determines the outcomes of this game when the game engine rolls its digital dice. That is why, in my opinion, some speedy players don't steal and why Al Connors has lead my team in HRs in spite of only having a 10 in power.

Like Rock said, only Steve knows if there is a "clutch performance " in the game engine. I would like to see more stats that measure RISP for hitters and pitchers, even if it only cosmetic and the game engine does not factor clutch performance into the equation that determines outcome.

Updated Monday, January 2 2017 @ 10:24:05 am PST
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I cannot "quote" now, but I'm POSITIVE Steve said there's CLUTCH hitting and pitching hidden attributes.

I remember because I was wondering why a player of mine was underperforming (a RP who couldn't strand inherited runners)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I don't believe we've ever officially confirmed or denied that clutch hitting/pitching exists in Broken Bat.

BTW, please keep the debate civil.

Thanks,

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
ESPN statistics for hitters, has four splits for "clutch' hitting: Runners On, Scoring Position, Scoring Position & 2 Outs, Bases Loaded.

Which to even display and which would be most useful??

Thanks,

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Probably runners in scoring position.
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1
I was wondering about RISP as last year I seemed to have a guy that had an unusually high RBI per AB compared to the others....clutch? or maybe it was the fast runners in front of him?
This could be a neat statistic even if it isn't in the code.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
RISP Avg.
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Just noticed that this was implemented. Thanks Steve. Question though - the RISP stat, is it for the entire season or since you've implemented it? Which I assume was in the past 2-3 weeks. Thanks again
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The one problem is, that since it was implemented mid-season, the statistics are incomplete. But it does let us flush out any bugs that might occur.

But starting next season, the RISP data collection will be good from the start of the season, so it will be complete. We may delete the incomplete data at some point.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |