Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Draft pick compensation   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dmcc1

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Lack of roster space. Too many players for one position or similar types/builds.

Lots of small teams like mine might go after 102 SI players if they are under 28 or would greatly improve their team.

Where would a cut off point be? 100? 105? 110?

Updated Thursday, January 5 2017 @ 7:25:05 am PST
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm against any sort compensation for releasing a player who get numerous claims. I have seen many high pot duds with +50 claims who have never played to there potential or showed improvement. These player skill index may grow at a decent rate, but there stats never match up. Compensation will most likely cause "the rich getting richer, " whether with extra drafts or cash.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've dropped guys I personally thought were horrible that got 50+ claims. I would be cutting dead weight that wasn't good enough for my team, and pocketing free cash to boot. Doesn't make any sense to me.
jackozar

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I get the point about not rewarding luck. My issue was that of having a means to mimick real life tearing down and rebuild mode, which at the moment is not present, at least the rebuild idea based on hoarding loads of young talent for the future giving away stars.
It would be interesting to find some way to implement this.

As to rock's last post, once again giving away a good player that does not play because your team is good while he would play somewhere else regularly happens to good teams in any sport, and the seller gets rewarded. Then again not entirely sold it would have a beneficial effect in bob, but some sense it makes.

dmcc1

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Its more important for a game to have playability than realism.

Any rich get richer ideas like this will lower the retention rate. Fewer new players staying and the game is on a downward slide.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually I see teams go through rebuilds all the time in this game. And they usually do it exactly by hoarding youth. They cut their older players, pick up a bunch of youth, and give the youth all of the playing time. This means their youth develop quicker and are ready earlier. It also means that they usually do poorly that year since they are playing all young players. It pretty realistic and doesn't require any gimmicky reward meta-games.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When I obtained my team at the beginning of the '27 season, my minor league system was horrendous. I think I have been doing a good job rebuilding it with the current waiver/free agent system. I won my first lottery claim (78 claims) and this suggestion says I should lose a draft pick. How would this help?

What do other players think of my rebuilding of my minor leagues? I have yet to draft a 14or higher pot. Miranda was a waiver claim and the only 14 pot to make it to the majors. Just looking for others feedback on what I've done.

Updated Friday, January 6 2017 @ 10:12:53 am PST
jclemen2

Mount Prospect Skeletons
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I've only been playing this for a month, so my 2 cents is probably worth 1 cent.

I used to run an online league using the PC program baseball mogul. The game mechanics in that game didn't work with an online league perfectly, resigning a player was at much lower prices than what free agents would be, so we did use FAC picks to generate more free agent activity. The nice thing with a simulation like that or this is you can mimic real life without it having to be an exact match. So you can give a FAC pick of whatever round you want, in a game it doesn't have to be a first round pick if you think that's too much reward. You also don't have to penalize the team signing the player. You don't HAVE to take a pick, you can design it for whatever is fair in a game like this. You could say the team releasing the player gets a 3rd round pick, and the signing team loses a fifth round pick. Or no pick at all. Don't limit discussions to gaining a 1st round/losing a first round. I skimmed this thread so maybe someone already mentioned that.

That being said in a game like this there are die-hard players that check waivers everyday and are on top of all aspects of the game. There's also players who check in a few times and that's it. You also have newbies who join, wreck a team, then move on. Do you want someone to join, sign a bunch of high priced free agents, lose their draft picks, then a week later quit? New manager takes over for them, sees they have no draft picks and their over budget by 10m dollars, so they lose interest quickly in that team?

My opinion after a month of playing is a rule like this will make bad teams that are poorly run worse and well run teams better in the long run. If I'm a loaded team with a loaded farm and i have a 25 SS that's ready to go, i drop my 32 yo slightly better SS and now I have a 1st round pick... it feeds into the cycle of the rich get richer. I was probably dropping the player anyway. I don't think anyone who is actually great would be dropped unless the team had a replacement or salary cap concerns. I don't have one, but I would never drop a 120pt player for a 1st rounder unless i needed to cut salary or had a replacement that helped offset the loss of his talent. The team that signs the player may be nowhere competing, they can't afford him next year, now they lose a draft pick. I think I'm a smart guy, I'm trying to build a level 6 team, there's no way I'm dropping 4m on a free agent AND losing a high level draft pick. I'm better off signing 2 or 3 1 or 2M dollar players with my money anyway. 1 guy isn't making or breaking me.
jclemen2

Mount Prospect Skeletons
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, I typically get carried away on things like this, it comes from running something similar I guess. I am in no way a programmer so I'm sure this is too complicated but...

In my opinion for FAC to work, the compensation would have to be tied to something like my team's ranking on this thing:

Rank: #522 - Rating: 57.57 (I have no idea where this comes from or how quickly it changes)

If I'm low like this, it costs me very little to sign a player and I gain a lot to release a player. So for someone who is ranked 50 they would have to lose a 2nd round pick, while me ranked at 55 would lose a 9th round pick. On the flip side, if I drop my best player I get a 1st round pick, while they get a 9th. Those numbers are all flexible, again the key with a simulation is you want to mimic reality but promote competition. So Mr Programmer Admin guy puts in a simple whatchamacallit that when you see a free agent/waiver player it adds a column for what your team would lose to sign that player. He just puts in a simple ;) line of code that calculates the FAC pick based on my specific team using player overall, age, stats, whatever you want + my team rank. Simple! :o

The potential benefit of this is it will shift more free agents to lower teams in the rankings. You'll have less waiver claims from better teams because their cost is higher. Like i said you can make the cost whatever you want... multiple picks for the great teams if you wanted.

Honestly If I'm looking at the big picture I want someone like me to be able to advance quickly. I'm active, check waivers every day, ponder my team roster obsessively, I'm super intelligent, good looking, etc. ;) So rules like that, i would drop my good 29 year old player who is winning me an extra 5-10 games a year while I sit at 500 knowing i need to rebuild for the future. I pick up free agents and try and collect players that will get me free agent comp next year. Bad teams will get more of these because they lose less to sign the player and gain more to drop them. Great teams or even good teams are less able to sign these players the better they are because they are less and less able to play the flip game.

You could apply the above to Free agent salaries as well, again pushing more and more talent to worse teams to increase competition and allow awesome GMs like me to advance more quickly. But that's taking the simple idea above more complicated and adding a 2nd line of code. :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you are an active player it will be easy for you to progress without adding any extra rules to the existing system. The existing system already allows for you to do this more than in any other online sports game out there. This is one of the few games where endurance is not a thing. You have the tools at your fingers for instant success.

Previous Page | Show All |