Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Injury Replacements   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

There are four modes of in-game replacement for players:

1. Pinch Hitter - for key at-bat during the game and player selection is based on offensive ability.

2. Pinch Runner - for key at-bat during the game and player selection is based on running ability.

3. Defensive Replacement - late game replacement based on defensive ability.

4. Upgrading - replacement of position players based overall value at that position. This happens a lot when the pitcher switches from LH to RH or vice versa.

This is a bit of a different suggestion perhaps, but could you perhaps leave options to us rather than have them decided by the game?

Allow us to have a dropdown for a pinch hitter, default set to "game decides".

Allow us to have a dropdown for a pinch runner, default set to "Game decides".

Allow us to set "keep lineup the same" or "Matchup versus lefty relievers after the 7th inning".

These changes would make it less frustrating in my opinion. Owners might feel like their own decisions won or lost them games rather than the game engine's decisions deciding it.

As far as defensive replacements go, i think the only frustrating thing i see is the lack of logic that I see to the decisions. It's basically "Pick someone from the bench". If you look at my team specifically, i would probably want Meyers to play OF normally, but if Wang (catcher) is hurt, Meyers is a good backup C for me to default to. I cant set him to start and to backup a position, so i'm left with whatever the game engine wants to do. Allowing for the game engine to move a guy from OF to C somehow, or being able to direct it to do so, would allow me to set up a chain of events that shifted my lineup in the event of an injury during games when i am at work and cannot make the changes myself.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree completely that it's frustrating about injury replacements. I would think everyone would have their order of preference for injury subs to be something like C, SS, 2B, CF, 3B, RF, LF, 1B, DH due to the importance of defense at those positions. Have a sub page settings with them and the top 3 players you'd like to have at those positions. If there's an injury, it looks at the settings and moves players accordingly, working from top to bottom. Here's an example with just the top four positions:

C Bauer, Charles, Frick
SS Mathews, Young, Dunn
2B Young, Walters, Johnson
CF Gibson, Walters, Johnson

The first player listed is the starter. If he's injured, it replaces him with second on the list even if he's a starter at a LOWER position. In the example above, if Mathews was injured Young would start at shortstop even though he's listed as the starting second baseman. Then it would have to come up with a 2B. Walters is second, so he'd take the spot.

For clarification purposes, if CF Gibson was also hurt, it would look for his replacement. Walter is the second choice, but because he's already filled a higher more important position, he is passed over and Johnson fills in.

If you go through all three players and none are available, or someone doesn't list that many, the AI kicks in and makes the choice.

As with many things, using these settings could be optional. If an owner simply wants the AI to select backups, they can choose to ignore the settings.

Updated Sunday, February 12 2017 @ 4:44:14 pm PST
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Basic everyday fundamental managerial moves that the AI disallows:

1. Late inning pinch hitting by position.
2. Defensive replacement after 1/2 inning.
3. Prioritizing OF Range over OF Defense.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a different problem, but it would be nice to see those addressed.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a different problem, but it would be nice to see those addressed.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I can't even count the number of times what Mike listed a few posts up would have been handy. I don't carry true back-ups for every position, and since some are more important to have great defense at than others, it is really hard when one of the important positions goes down. Also, it forces you to log-in the game after an injured player comes back unless you want a far sub-optimal lineup.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Its also an issue in spring training. If you want your 20-year old 1B prospect who is actually learning SS to play decent innings in a game, you have to make him the starter. Because if you list him as your substitute/backup SS the AI instead picks someone it feels is better suited for the position when substitutions (usually 5th or 6th inning for me) kick in. And you need to do this right down your lineup.
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
We don't need full blown labor intensive tiered depth charts and individual player instructions to make accomodations for 3rd string emergency replacement players. It's also too much to ask for in spring situations.

Owners are prepping their minor leaguers 5 seasons to come up a play a back up role. Only to have the AI manager say nope I like it like this, and proceeds to play your 1B in the OF, your DH at C, and they don't come out because they have a high number attached to their fielding skill. I've made more suggestions with examples on the depth chart subject than anyone here.

My answer is:
1. Give owners the option to Strictly PH by Pos.
2. Give us the option to Strictly Field by Pos. (By this I mean a guaranteed defensive replacement of a PH/PR if he doesn't know the Pos.)

Any further modifications should be discussed later.

I'm still advocate reducing the offensive roster capacity from 17 if too much offensive flexibility is given to the owner.
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
FurySK, I had a different idea that I mentioned years ago about adding a drop down menu on each player page to tag the position you need him to play for you, so the AI can ignore the clown with multiple listed positions but is bad at all of them positions. And you could personally Tag a player as a DH, etc.
Mesh77

Palo Alto Invaders
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I give it a try every season but two games in I've already removed all substitutions from my lineup.

Rather than sub in my preferred option for LF, the game brings in my starting SS (whose second eligible position is c, not OF) - who then gets injured for 10 games. It annoys me now, when it doesn't matter, but if this was the second last game of ST I'd be furious.

Previous Page | Show All |