Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> How about A last inning option for pitchers in the management page?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wait but this just sounds like the Hook option or does the hook option mean totally different when they take the pitcher out
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Jreynoldson913,

I believe that hook is a limit on runs allowed and current base runners allowed. I think of hook as looking at what your starter has all ready done in the game. But with the hook the damage in terms of runs and base runners is all ready done.

And the minimum hook for starters is 5. So if your starter pitched to the end of the 6th inning and has given up 1 run, he could give up several more runs in the 7th inning before he is taken out with a hook of 5. ( This scenario has happened to me many many times. ) Maybe you would rather have a reliever enter the game for the 7th inning instead.

But if you set your starter's pitch count too low, you risk having him removed in the 5th inning. Your starter will have a different pitch count entering the late innings each game. So you can not rely on pitch count to remove him at a set inning.

A last inning limit would look forwards and limit the starter from even attempting to pitch in a certain inning. For example, limit of 6th inning would prevent your starter from even attempting to pitch in the 7th inning. A reliever would enter the game and pitch the 7th. And your reliever could have a smaller hook setting.

This could be very useful if you have some starters ( like I do ) that tend to give up lots of runs in the 7th and 8th innings.

Updated Sunday, March 12 2017 @ 1:09:47 pm PDT
HoboMan6525

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i have the same problem with many of my pitchers. especially after they've got up in age. I think itd be a very useful feature to add (dont know how difficult it would be to add) but id like to have this.+1
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
This would different than hook.

+1 I like it
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
0 Not against it because it's another way to manage your team, though I probably wouldn't use it. If it does get implemented, I'd like a -- option so it wouldn't affect my pitch count and hook settings.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Same here. I wouldn't ever use this option.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yea, I do not know how hard it would be to make this option. But if the suggestion is implemented, maybe it could be optional just like the run differential settings are.

There for those who like it and optional for those who may never use it. :-)
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Take this game which was just simulated today

My starter Brooks has been struggling so I set his pitch count limit to 90 and he has the minimum hook for starters of 5.

Due to his struggles, there is no way I would want him to pitch the seventh inning. But even though I have his pitch count set to 90 and a hook of 5 set, he pitched all the way through the 9th inning and gave up a run in the 7th inning.

If there was a last inning limit, that would have prevented him from pitching for 7th inning.

There is no way I want a pitcher with a pitch count of 90 to pitch through the 9th inning.

EDIT: In fact he threw 133 pitches before the game took him out. - That is really strange. My pitch count limit of 90 was totally ignored.

EDIT: He also gave up his 5th run with hook set to 5 and was also not pulled from the game

I won the game but a last inning limit, if possible and not too difficult to implement, would be nice and help me manage my pitching staff. :-)

Updated Tuesday, March 14 2017 @ 3:00:55 pm PDT

Updated Tuesday, March 14 2017 @ 3:02:44 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Make sure you don't have your relief pitchers set with low fatigue limits. If the game can't find a valid replacement it will leave the starter in for too long.

jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 to will

Previous Page | Show All |