Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Cup schedule   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Another nice thing about the Cup schedule as is, is that it allows you to work in developing players. Since the Cup happens during the season, you can get ABs for rookies without having to using them in regular season games. If the Cup only happened at the end of the season, we would have to play the rookies all through out the season in regular season games. I don't feel like there HAS to be a game playing every night to enjoy the game. Very few online sports simulation games play games every day.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not that I've ever had a long cup run, but I agree with Mike and Haselrig. I have received injuries that would hurt me the day before a set of cup games multiple times and had the players back for the next league games. I understand it is irritating, but there are off days in real life baseball too, so it is not really that bad.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I really like the cup as it is. Pretty much for all the reasons listed above.

But I'd love to have something similar to what Haslerig mentioned.

My off season tournament dreams are even grander. Every team gets to create a lineup out of their own players under age 25. Random seedings with a three game series elimination. Basically it'd be an off season youth cup.

Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Something involving minor leaguers would be a fun change of pace. Even better if it the games were simmed the same way the majors games are.

Having a couple of your farm hands be eligible for an extra week's training would be a good incentive for owners to feel invested in the tournament.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Well said by all. Something most of us can agree on! I don't think you could balance things better than they are.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats a deep Cup run. The winner (1/756) may get the ultimate prize but the are lots of success stories every season. Cup doesn't generate a lot of discussion but I guarantee there is a lot of individual fascination with the Cup. I cant put in words how crestfallen I've been to not make it out of group a couple of times recently. Probably the most disappointing day of any season is the day my Cup dream dies. If I'm the only one I'll be surprised.

I'm all for looking at other possibilities for championship week or the off season but we've got it pretty good here.

Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. A lot of nice posts here. This one was pure gold:

I'll admit my bias--I doubt there are another 10 owners in the game who haven't won the Cup that like it as much as I do. I think it's one of the most interesting and fun aspects of the game. In my eyes, it's perfect as it is. I like everything about it (well, except the losing part).

Two thumbs up. :)

There is some elegance to how the cup works. A lot of little things that sit in counter-balance to the regular season. I'd be resistant to any change.

There was a suggestion (Haselrig?) some seasons ago about friendlies / barnstormers. Teams out of the cup could could arrange a series to play on mondays and fridays (and maybe during the league playoffs?). Think that could be a nice addition. Would alleviate the usual main complaint about the cup (boredom on mondays and fridays).
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll also echo what has been said above, in that I like the Cup just the way it is.

My rookie season we made it through three rounds of elimination in the Cup, and I loved it. My second season we didn't get out of the group stage (which has been the case for four of the last six seasons) and I hated those idle Mondays and Fridays. However, after those first two seasons when injuries started to kick in (I must have been lucky early on) I grew to really appreciate those off days. Cup runs are nice but I doubt I'm in the minority when I say League results are everything, and gettting players back from injury "earlier" than you would if you were playing nothing but league games day after day, is a real bonus.

Plus there's no doubt that even (or especially) addicts like me need to step away from the game for a night sometimes, for the sake of my health/sanity/marriage. ;)
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
It would be nice if we could have an option for a seperate lineup for the cup. Be much easier
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The cup is kind of modeled after a European soccer cup that is in stages interspaced between the league games.

Steve
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually, every sport in Europe will have cups: national and continental (European, that is)

In some sports, the Euro-cup has become much more important than the local tournaments: Basketball and Rugby comes to mind.

But in soccer too, at least in some countries like Italy or Germany where the national Championship went undisputed for many years now. Champion's League becomes the only interesting competition to truly gauge Juventus or Bayern success.

But also Volleyball, handball, water polo, you name it, any team sport has its own cup.
Ans the same is true for the other continents as well

Previous Page | Show All |