Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Keep team logos and names   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, but part of that is the trust they won't try and do something stupid, and that you aren't constantly checking images for 1 and done players. These names and logos are already approved. And its not really custom for the new owner. Its just the old team's logo. If they wanted to change to a stock logo, I think that is fine. Its what they can do now. The only change would be to not clear the previous custom logo and name by default.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock pretty much said it. These names and logos are already approved. It would be a small shift in perception. Instead of:

Custom logos and team names is a privilege provided to longer term managers,

it would be that an ability to upload a custom logo or change to a non-stock team name would become the privilege provided to longer term managers. If the next guy takes over the Margate Magicians, it stays the Magicians with that same logo, or they can change to a stock logo and mascot. What the next guy can't do is upload a new custom logo or change the team name to something non-standard until the probation period is over.

I think the continuity would be fun and it would build more Broken Bat history. The New York Yankees have been owned by several different groups over the years, but it's always been the New York Yankees. I think new players would enjoy taking over the Harrisonburg Hydrogen (or whatever) and they've already got a history and a logo.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
And it would be a little less discouraging for folks like me who make logos for people, and then they disappear into the ether ;)
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I think new players would like ...

Let’s not kid ourselves. This suggestion has nothing to do with new players. A new player is going to have no interest in preserving a legacy they know nothing about. They are here to write their own story. And IMO, should be encouraged to do so; there are no Yankees in BrokenBat. If that was the intent all locations and names would be locked from the outset.

This suggestion is akin to locking nicknames. It’s got the ‘don’t undo what I’ve done’ vibe. Unlike locking nicknames, I’m a ok with this one because it’s being presented as an option.

That said, I’d still prefer this wasn’t adopted. We already get how-dare-you-change-his-nickname posts. This would open the door to how-dare-you-change-that-team-name posts. Better to give new players a clean slate and clear conscience.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Eh. I don't see what the hubbub is all about. Sure, if a team goes unowned for a while, it may be pleasant to have some continuity, but it seems like a lot of work for little gain. And I have to agree with Seca's sentiment: I seriously doubt even a tiny handful of new owners are concerned with maintaining someone else's legacy. They likely most often want to make a team their own. So really the "gain" appears to be for ownerless teams maintaining continuity. Eh...
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've only been here for a cup of coffee but I changed my location and franchise name to Nantucket and 'Lions' as I didn't like the previous local and thought Nantucket sounds better and the Lions is the mascot of my team.

So, I have to agree that a newbie coming in can do whatever they like once taking over a team - especially one as awful as mine was!

Yes, that would be frown upon in the 'real world' Yankees, Mets Dodgers etc.

Although moving location not.

My tuppence

Respectfully, Jim.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
There may be a reading comprehension problem. No one's trying to lock anything in.

And its not really custom for the new owner. Its just the old team's logo. If they wanted to change to a stock logo, I think that is fine. Its what they can do now. The only change would be to not clear the previous custom logo and name by default.

If I was a new owner, it might be fun to take over the newly-vacant Waterloo Dinosaurs with a built in winning history and hilarious logo. Don't generalize all new owners.

I don't care what happens to the Moo Cows after we're gone, but it would have been fun if some new owner had an opportunity to take over the Margate Magicians, for example. I think it's a shame that the current code doesn't allow it as an option. No one's attempting to lock it in forever. Some new guy could immediately change it to the Snakes or whatever. This increases options for new owners and isn't constraining them.

Except for Steve saying it's too much work or somehow against his vision, I'm surprised anyone but the staunchest contrarians could or would take a position against this. The arguments against seem fallacious.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
At the very least, why not let the bots keep the logo. I don't really see the point in resetting it to a system default. Seems like a lot of extra processing for a negative gain. Just leave it as is until someone decides to change it. Which BTW, is the least possible work, not "a lot of work".

Updated Wednesday, July 29 2020 @ 6:46:35 pm PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
agreed

Yeah, but part of that is the trust they won't try and do something stupid, and that you aren't constantly checking images for 1 and done players. These names and logos are already approved. And its not really custom for the new owner. Its just the old team's logo. If they wanted to change to a stock logo, I think that is fine. Its what they can do now. The only change would be to not clear the previous custom logo and name by default.

afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1

Previous Page | Show All |