Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> All-Time Team Leaders - Additional Statistics   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Great addition Steve. I feel the catcher stats are a touch low, unsure what the measures should be though. I've only looked at my team, but have the outfield assists changed somewhat? I've got guys with 65 in a season whereas now I'm aiming for 30 from the entire team! If so, perhaps a change so as to only record from whenever the changes were made may be appropriate?

Regardless, love it, the more stats the better!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
OA used to be a bit higher (probably not 2x though). The was dialed down a bit -- probably 15-20 seasons ago though.

Still trying to figure out what a reasonable catcher throws would be. Maybe I'll start hiking it up until I hear otherwise.

Steve
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
To be clear, what are we talking about specifically when we use the phrase "catcher throws"? Do you mean the number of times a catcher threw to catch a stealing base runner? Or are you also including pick-offs? Catcher throws on dropped pitches? Looks like stolen base throws.

Have no clue if useful, but for real-life parallels:

* 2017 MLB catcher fielding stats (sortable)

* Active player career caught stealing %

* Broken Bat caught stealing URL

Something that stands out when comparing the last two, the highest ranked career caught stealing in BB is nearly 10 full percentage points higher than the highest career active in MLB. Not that I'm saying we should parallel MLB precisely. My point: if you find an MLB average "catcher throws," keep in mind that BB caught stealing looks to be running a touch higher in the percentages.

EDIT 1: As an aside, MLB notes the following about CS%: "The main flaw in using this metric is that certain catchers -- those whose great arms carry reputations -- are run on less frequently, and often only in situations conducive to the runner." Which leads me to wonder if CS% are higher in BB because there isn't an in-game mechanism that tells runners to run less frequently on great arms.

EDIT 2: Sorry, my thoughts are a mess here. :( According to Baseball Reference: "The most common situation for defensive indifference is when a runner on first base advances to second base as the pitch is delivered. This would normally be regarded as a stolen base attempt, but is instead scored as defensive indifference if the defense makes no play..."

So does that mean, using that first link I gave to Fox News, that SBA = attempts to cut down a runner? If so, then averaging that SBA data for at least three to five seasons would help towards your answer as its excluding defensive indifference, i.e. no throw.

EDIT 3: I'm doing some data analysis on SBA. Please hold...

Updated Thursday, October 26 2017 @ 12:27:33 pm PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Data source: Fox Sports; 2013–2017 seasons, regular season, MLB, catcher, sorted by SBA

Minimum catching innings = 120 (Reasoning: For the last five years the max innings for catchers has hovered around 1200, so went for 10 percent of that as the cutoff. Coincidentally or not, this meant all but only a handful started (GS) at least 16 games, ~ 10 percent of games in the season.)

2017: Qualifying catchers = 73; Average SBA = 46
2016: Qualifying catchers = 77; Average SBA = 44
2015: Qualifying catchers = 72; Average SBA = 48
2014: Qualifying catchers = 79; Average SBA = 47
2013: Qualifying catchers = 75; Average SBA = 47

Total average SBA: 46.4

That covers single-season. Career... I might try to tackle that too.

Updated Thursday, October 26 2017 @ 12:11:20 pm PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Coming up with a framework for MLB catcher career SBA is more difficult. What is the modern-day typical length of a catcher's career? Thought being we can take the average number of years and multiply by the average SBA.

I first ran into this list, but after toying with it for a bit, I realized it really represent the TOP 400 catchers all-time.

I then ran into [url=http://bb_catchers.tripod.com/catchers/service_years.htm]this page[/url], which is a bit more helpful but still has problems. It still looks like all-time, and it's not clear when these numbers were ran (meaning if they include recent years of data).

Interestingly, that second link claims:

* The average number of years played was 5.236.
* Half of the catchers 50.9% (805) had career lengths of 3 years or less.
* Fifteen percent (309) had career lengths of 10 or more years.

If we don't mind fudging with all-time instead of modern, and we don't mind using the modern SBA with the all-time, we multiply 5.236 by 46.4 to get ~243 SBA. That's not terribly far off Steve's 300. If fudge upwards for Broken Bat and guess that your average Broken Bat catcher plays for more than 5-ish seasons, you can begin to more closely approach 300.

*shrug* I've spent too much time on this. I'm out. :)

Updated Thursday, October 26 2017 @ 1:26:36 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So they're using 200 SBA for career purposes.

Steve
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
because there isn't an ingame mechanism that tells them to run less against great arms

There isn't? I'm not sure you are giving the game engine enough credit. :)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Wondering if double-plays shouldn't include the first basemen.

Steve
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
How many at bats gets a hitter qualified for season RISP?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
155 ABs per season
1000 ABs for career

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |