Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> New Users & Teams   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is a very odd discussion.

I see arguments against a newbie getting a LL2 or 3 team because its "not fair", yet anyone could ask Steve to dump their team and switch to an upper level team when one comes available.
I also see the argument that a newbie may be reckless with a high level team and let good players go, yet the alternative recommendations have been to either gut the team through bankruptcy or to set up a decay situation where a bot intentionally down manages or mismanages the team until it is in a lower level -effectively doing the same thing or worse!

I just don't see that the suggested changes correct any theoretical or perceived problems.

Maybe it would be nice for someone getting a top tier team to get a warning that it is great and doesnt really need a lot of overhauling.... but isn't that what the forums accomplish?
HoboMan6525

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

of course it is a personal decision. I don't think it makes much sense how a new player can come in and immediately be in league 2 however. That's just reaping the success of another owners work. If you look at most games, players start on equal ground and have to advance through objectives,mission,quest,buying hotels,etc. All of that time leads to attachments to your character. I feel as if Broken Bat should be treated similarly with players getting to experience the hardships,attachment, and the bumpy road that follows with building your team from the ground up. Of course that personal attachment is just one of my favorite parts in games and i'm sure others don't share my enthusiasm for that aspect of games. some people maybe just like to start out with a powerhouse. I do agree that a warning could be warranted though. I still do think a decay stage is a potential resolution, not the best one but a resolution just the same.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
"If you look at most games, players start on equal ground and have to advance through objectives,mission,quest,buying hotels,etc"

IMHO the beauty of BB is that it does not happen here. In most games, you choose a team, and *whoosh!*, all the players are gone and new ones are generated. You receive a basic team with no history whatsoever. Here, you take over a team that has a veteran 32 year old starting pitcher that has been in the franchise since he was 16. You can see how he performed each season. This helps build a connection with the team, makes you feel like you just took over a real life franchise that has been doing good or bad all those years before you arrived. And now you're in charge.

@wickersty
"I think its sort of like having a console command/cheat code for a game."
I have to strongly disagree with that. It's just a different way to experience the game. Managers will know that someone just took over a ready-to-go team in high league, you can check it in team history, it's not like they are treated differently because they are in LL II or III. Picking such teams might look tempting at first (oh hey, look, I'm almost at top level! Dope!), but it presents different challenges than picking a team at LL VI and building from scratch. We had several voices from managers in this thread that took a high ranked team, and then decided to go back to LL VI.

@TheOne1
I'm going to repeat what others wrote, this thread was just sparked by you taking over Fort Worth, looks like people feel this topic needs discussion. Do not treat it as a personal attack, because it is not one. Welcome to BB :)
TheOne1

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No attack intended... no attack received.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Worth pointing out, a new player could just as easily inherit a LL-5 team with a stacked minors system and easily ride their way up to Legends. Its happened plenty of times in the past. Is that any more "fair" than inheriting a LL-2 team that is in decline? To me, salvaging a LL-2 team in decline is a lot more challenging then riding a LL-5 up the ladder on the coat tails of another GM who stacked his minors system. Its not so cut and dry to determine which teams are really good.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 to what Rock just said.

If you take over a level 6 or 5 team with a very good minor league system with nice players in the majors, you can indeed rocket to the higher leagues.

I have not been here as long as some others, but I have seen that happen a few times.

Also, isn't it far easier to be demoted from the higher leagues than it is to stay in them or to promote? So if a new owner isn't good, then they will be demoted. The competition is really difficult.

I say let everyone pick the team that matches the fun challenge that they want to tackle.

I asked for the level 6 Boston team because I live in New England and I thought it would be fun to try to rebuild that team. And it has been a TON of FUN!!!

Updated Thursday, October 19 2017 @ 7:42:52 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
To add to what has been said, the other thing about BB and its community is that no one really rubs their success in other people's faces, yes we get excited about success, but it rarely if ever takes the form of gloating. If someone did decide to gloat about their success taking over a team they didn't build they would be cut down to size really quick, because the history page plus the transactions page for every team are available for all to view meaning everyone can know exactly how much of that success you are actually responsible.

Reading through this thread has given me the renewed urge to put Raleigh up soon and try to take Charlotte (which is closer to where I claim as my hometown) to the top, if it becomes available again. I meant to do that about 10 seasons ago, and then I got three straight promotions and was on the verge of Legends...
HoboMan6525

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Cant argue with what Rock said. You make a good point
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Updated Sunday, October 22 2017 @ 8:38:16 am PDT
Razzle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This discussion is epitomizes what makes Broken Bat completely AWESOME!!

Plenty of different opinions/strategies that lead to plenty of different outcomes. No one is 100% right and no one is 100% wrong!!

Previous Page | Show All |