Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> 1000th suggestion   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think what he is suggesting, though not sure, is that players have free agency eligibility. It sounds like he's suggesting that if the player didn't like what you offered to pay him, it increases the chances of the player not resigning and would instead drop to the waiver wire. Now whether or not its further envisioned that the waiver wire would work any differently is not clear. But it seems the suggestion is to add an element where your players aren't guaranteed to stay for life, particularly through a contract offer you make to retain the player.

Updated Saturday, November 25 2017 @ 8:05:56 am PST
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
thank you, lostraven. Manual contract management would make competition of prime age quality players.

When a contract would end, other teams could make contract offers that original team would have to match if the team wants to keep the player. Else, he would leave to highest offering team. I think this is called restricted free agency.

This is very complicated becouse there would have to be maybe a mutual agreement deal and many complicated new things.

AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Not in favor of manually dealing with re-signing players or arguing with them over how much they should be paid every season season. Player salaries are already recalculated at the start of each season, which is basically them making their offer for how much they’re willing to play for. If it’s too much for your taste or your budget, hit the “Release” button on him.

As for competing offers for players at the start of a season, I’m very much against the idea. As an owner who started out on a shoestring budget — one who is rapidly working my way back in that direction, in fact — I would rather not lose half of my team to richer teams who are willing to throw $7M at players I’m having to grit my teeth at paying $3M. Rich teams benefit at the expense of poor teams enough as it is.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As a person who came to this game from GoalUnited, I completely agree with AP. One of the major drawing points about this game in my opinion is that it de-emphasizes the role of finances in baseball versus real life. There are plenty of games that operate exactly the way you are talking about in terms of contracts, and I really like the fact that BB doesn't force you to make competing offers with other owners. After getting multiple players sniped from me in that game I will ALWAYS be against any model of competing offers that opens the door for someone to win a player simply because they were able to be online when I couldn't be, or because they had a faster internet connection and could get that offer in with one second left while I had to put it in with 3 seconds left to make sure it was in in time.
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
i also dont want the money to be in bigger role. My point was, it would be interesting to do other stuff to success than only the management page. Everything else is just luck in draft and waivers.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think most people are in favor of a player acquisition system that isn't solely luck. The problem is what form that should take so that it is fair and fun. Many systems have been suggested, all have flaws, only one or two garnered overall positive reviews from the community, and those few were not implemented (they may have been too complex to expect Steve to code by himself for free).
DodgerBlue42

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea of using the financial success of a team to build with. When I first started playing I drove my team into near bankruptcy by signing a bunch of veteran free agents, then learned a little more how the game works and now I've got a pretty good amount in the bank. It would be cool to use that to sign some younger players to "contracts"
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Where would those players come from? Other teams that can't afford them? No teams in the upper leagues have financial difficulties that would preclude them from outbidding lower league teams. Thus as much as you think it would benefit you after learning the financial system to the game, it would benefit my team and the rest of Legends much more.
DodgerBlue42

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@newtman

You're right, this time of year with the winter meetings going on the focus shifts to contracts & $$$. Incorporating that into broken bat would be neat but with the number of teams/players I'm not sure it would be a good change...but it would be awesome to be able to sign our players to contracts
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the simplicity of money in this game. I wanna play baseball, I get enough of the salary money-balancing stuff in my Econ 101 class.

Besides, having free agency bidding in a game on this scale would a complete nightmare. Think of how many players there are, how many bids one would have to put in to potentially get a player, only to then have two first basemen end up signing when you only need one, and stuff like that.

Previous Page | Show All |