Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> East s. West II   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
So I saw Terry's topic and immediately I thought the following idea was what he was proposing.

This is off the top of my head. Not sure even I am in favour of it.

Instead of the current playoff format (1st in East vs. 1st in West), line up each finishing position versus their opposite. Ie., 2nd plays 2nd, 5th plays 5th.

Pros:
- everyone gets a playoff series. Playoff series are fun.

Cons:
- may dilute the importance of the championship series (tho only that series yields trophies; rest are basically friendlies)
- the cash from the playoff series is a perk for winning; 6th place teams maybe shouldn't get perks
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
+1

I like this idea. I agree that only the 1st place teams get trophies.

The number of spectators who want to watch the game would probably also dwindle by the teams' positions.

So it could be something like:

1 vs 1 --> 100% max attendance
2 vs 2 --> 75% max attendance
3 vs 3 --> 50% max attendance
4 vs 4 --> 30% max attendance
5 vs 5 --> 20% max attendance
6 vs 6 --> 10% max attendance

Possibly give a bit more encouragement to finishing as high as you can at the end of the season and keeping teams competitive.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I like it. It's simple and also a positive for the game. I think reduced attendance for lower matchups makes sense. I really enjoy being in a playoff and the seasons I'm not, these 3 days drag.

Edit: I said +1 but I'm rethinking it.

Edit 2: Another potential difference is training gained. Guys with no incentive to win could use it as developmental games. When I'm playing for a title, I put my best product on the field. Maybe not for lower places. I think the attendance is easy to deal with, like rock suggests. But I'm not so sure how to deal with this concern.
Shorter series? Not all teams? 2nd place best of 5? 3rd place best of 3? I don't know.

Updated Thursday, December 21 2017 @ 5:36:45 pm PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. I don't think the cash concern is real. Could ratchet the returns down to be like spring training.

The incentive is the problem. Why try? Could give some prestige. Maybe a total playoff record on the history page. Maybe Bud Selig division that wins hosts next seasons all star or championship. Or a little cash prize. Or way out of left field ... winners get an extra pick from the pillaged draft pool. Or a training bonus on that dreary #10 training update.

(I imagine there woud be - play the kids for xp - probably no bueno. Update is so bad.)
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think there are seeds of fun in this idea, though I don't have much more to add beyond what has been stated.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
How about no experience gained for playoff games? That way there is no incentive to play anything but your best. Basically treat them like friendlies like Seca said initially.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You know, when I first read this, I thought it was a bad idea too. But I've warmed up to it a lot, with the condition that we find the best way to protect against 2nd-5th place teams treating it like Spring Training and not playing their starters.

I think not gaining experience would solve that, but it would have to made very clear that the 2nd-5th place postseason friendlies are indeed friendlies, and don't provide for experience.

I also like the sliding attendance scale, it makes perfect sense and keeps with the realism of the thing.

I think it would be very nice. Agreed, this week is dog slow and boring if you haven't made the playoffs... and NOT making the playoffs SHOULDN'T result in any kind of award or worthwhile prize --- that's why a no-experience, minimally attended "friendly" series for bragging rights and fun is a good idea.

So long as it doesn't result in unearned experience and only results in a fraction of the money otherwise taken in by the divisional champs.

I'm all for it, with those conditions. +1

Previous Page | Show All |