Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> waiver claim a 36+ year old who was recently released   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jackiscind

Fort Wayne Bears
VI.13

Broken Bat Baseball
Ive noticed that there are a small amount of players that are over the age of 36 who could still provide for another team once they were cut. Instead due to their age they are forced into retirement. I think it would be a good idea to allow recently released 36+ year olds to at least pass through waivers before they are retired. If nobody claims them via waivers then they retire.

Updated Monday, July 16 2018 @ 4:42:42 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure. Most of those players have been with their teams for a long time, and owners want to wait until then (age 36+) to release them into retirement so that they can retire as members of that team...not so no-one else can have them.

And honestly I don't believe anyone should be looking at players that age to 'help' their team anyway, most of them are done and I personally would rather stick with what I have or throw a youngster out there - he may go down flaming but at least he'll get experience from it.
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I disagree with that assumption, sometimes teams (like myself) have a mostly competitive team but maybe need a one year rental at a certain position because they don't have a guy who is totally ready for the big show, but could fill in as a backup. I do agree with the longtime player thing, though. It is nice to be able to have players you brought up retire with you.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I enthusiastically +1 this suggestion. I think it's probably an easy code change. Just make an older player retire if they ever find themselves in free agency, but not just if they head to the waiver pool.

I just released this guy to an instant retirement. I know it's not a real human being, but I feel bad for him and his family. Somebody might pick him up, even at 36. I think it'd be realistic and nice if old guys could go test out waivers and only retire if nobody picks them up.

Geriatrics are people too!
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1. I understand the connection to the player especially if he has been with the team since Rookie league. However, there are several 36 yr olds that could fill a hole for a team. Allowing them to pass through waivers is a good way to do this.
Especially a pitcher as they are much harder to come by and this would at least make the pool a bit bigger.
Sometimes a team (thinking LL6 or 5)just needs a solid pitcher for a year to round out the roster. A 36 yr old cut by a LL2 team could be game changer.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I know a lot of teams feel strongly about retiring their players and protecting their nicknames from getting hacked (especially if they plan to put them in their Hall Of Fame). Perhaps a good compromise would be to have the option to "Retire" a player after they turned 36. It could be less accessible (like on the HOF page or something) so most folks would just release instead, but still provide the option to retire for those who want to protect their Hall Of Famers. Maybe the "Retire" button would only be available during the off-season?

Updated Tuesday, October 23 2018 @ 3:26:19 pm PDT
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree - alternatively, maybe you could 'retire' one player a season if required and the rest get released? There's been a few 36 year olds that I would've picked up, even just as injury cover at the very least.

Previous Page | Show All |