Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Obligatory Draft Suggestion   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm also not really sure how you translate the recruiting point system of Hardwood into BB. You recruit in college basketball but draft in professional baseball.

Hardwood: Massive pool of players at various levels of HS. Easier to recruit players close to your college. Given a fixed amount of recruiting points in the beginning, and more as the season progresses. A number of variables determines what team (human) the player (AI) selects in the end. The players selects the team at seemingly random times throughout the season.

Broken Bat: Limited pool of players (10) from various regions (Asian, Latin America, International) and at various development levels (HS, college). The team (human) picks the player (AI). The player is added to the team immediately.

1. What happens if you increase the pool from 10 to its entirety and allow managers to draft (select) who they want? Would the pool have to be modified?

2. If everyone could be seen at once, you end up with the best players going to the team manager who logs in the soonest at draft start. Not particularly fair. So how do you prevent this?

These are the two biggest questions I have. One thought: a player could be assigned a draft value in points, based on a number of factors (such as POT). Teams would X points in their draft pool to use. So you might be able to draft a 15 POT and a couple 13 POT, but your remaining pool of points would only let you draft a few more 12 or 11 POT players. Or you could opt for more 12 and 13 POT players and get more of them.

This could be problematic though. Teams are already keeping, at best, two to three of their players each game year. A manager could opt to draft a 15, 14, and 13 and be super content to not draft anyone else until next game year. Perhaps this worry is less a concern because there's only a handful of 15 and 14 POT players, and they all get taken in Round 1. But then are the handful of 15 and 14 POT players first come first serve? Yuck.

Just thinking out loud. Sorry.
BadgerBoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea of 100 players being placed into your private pool. We could then select out the 10 we wanted to draft. It wouldn't have to be weekly either we could select our 10 at will. Once chosen the players would be created into the game.

We also don't need to choose a pool, a mixture of all pools could be in your 100.

No Potential reports or numbers, i'm an advocate for eliminating the the whole Potential system. It is the most unrealistic part of the game, and the biggest pimple on the drafts face. Without potential, we would be using the waivers and FA market a ton more looking for guys to fill roles. FA/Waiver guys are knowns, we don't need a crystal ball to see the future.

With no Pot we would covet all our draft picks, we would be excited to see if they will turn out. We would invest time in them. It wouldn't be a draft and dump like it is now, or instantly knowing you have a superstar in 6 seasons.

Most importantly we need to have reports on ARM,RANGE This will allow us to better draft on positional need.

We could also literally just see their current stats, make it like FA/Waivers. Without Pot we would not know if they are done developing or not so would still be gambling. It's crazy to think if we were drafting real life we would not know their tangibles, we would know Arm,Speed,Range,Defensive Skill.

Let's do THIS!! Yeah!! Make the Draft GREAT!!

Garnash1970

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I had actually had the same thought regarding POT ... let's get rid of it, except perhaps for a full reveal when a player has retired ...

HOWEVER ...

the fielding notes would have to be vastly improved ... what about fielding comments to include the sum of all three attributes ... for example, a guy that is AMAZING in the field has to have a cap for all three somewhere between 50 and 60 (up to 20 for fielding, range and arm) OUTSTANDING could be 45 to 55 and so on ... which would eliminate AMAZING shortstops with a range of 6. Something I've long thought the game overlooks ... "yeah, he IS amazing at D, as long as the ball is hit right at him, he can catch it!" LOL

There would be hundreds fewer "catch and release" guys each week after the draft.

My 2 pennies.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
At some point, there was suppose to be some strategy about which pool you picked from. Obviously, you can convert college players and turn them into pros faster. But if everyone is picking college players, then maybe the high school pool has more talent.

Steve
BadgerBoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
^^^ This is the only takeaway from this discussion?

I think we are throwing out some pretty solid ideas on how to improve the game.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't see any point in eliminating the pools. They work fine. I just think the players should be randomly generated when we pick for each person. If you wanted to do 100 pre-picked players for each team, fine, but that probably takes up a lot of DB space.

The simpler change is the leave the pools as is, but randomly generate the prospect when someone makes a pick. So if I picked someone from the College Pool, there is one less player available in that pool, which may effect the overall quality of potential future players. Additionally, the quality of picks can be maintained for each pool. So basically, if there were 300 players picked from College in the first round and their average SI was 13, the talent modifier for round 2 would then be ratcheted down so that the average skill will be 12 from College (just an example). Doing this requires practically no storage, and ensures every team has an equal chance to get quality players regardless of draft time.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like many of these ideas.

My preference is for very small changes, no overhauls and I like the "pools" system.

The only thing that really bothers me about the pools is for example, the asian pool, it is too small, it is picked clean at 4am before most ever make their first round selection.

I'd be in favor of small changes like managers pre-selecting draft pools so everyone drafts at the same time and if there has to be an "order" to it then the lower leagues should get first crack.

Also as mentioned before I'm in favor of a little more control over drafting by position. I've been able to draft one playable SS in 19 full seasons.
For the last 5 seasons my number one goal was to draft a SS or 2B...fail.

Having said that, in general I prefer player acquisition to not be made any easier but perhaps just a tiny bit more "fair".

I caution guys who constantly want an easy way to draft exactly what they want and ask for an easier waiver system, create a player drafts, and trades etc. This will not magically turn your team into legends caliber as all teams benefit equally. To me, the beauty of the game is that there are no perfect teams and all should have some good and bad acquisition seasons.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball

I'd be in favor of small changes like managers pre-selecting draft pools so everyone drafts at the same time ...

I admit to being a little confused here. Can you elaborate? If you mean manually select at the same time, obviously that will never happen. If you mean the system makes a selection for you, then yes, everyone can draft at the same time, but you're then taking the element of control out of the team's hands.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Randomly generating prospect on the fly is really the only way to make it completely fair. That is the only way to remove the early bird advantage.
BadgerBoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Rock, this should be the primary focus if we are taking baby steps. Next would be some sort of reports for arm,range. Elimination of Pot I realize is a big change and may take some more time to sink in.

Previous Page | Show All |