Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Race to Draft countermeasure   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hehe. I'm with you Allen54Chevy. Even the later rounds feel a little bit like Christmas. (I rarely get what I want for Christmas, but it's nice to have presents to open).

I've been leafing through some drafts, and have further convinced myself that the early bird advantage is due to the Asian pool and it's small size.

Can't make the pool bigger without skewing things (ie., more ML ready supply). Best I've thought of is limiting access to the pool. Only let a team make a 1st round draft every other season or something like that.

Seems contrived, but I look at it a bit like the "international money" concept used IRL.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Better idea is to just get rid of the shared pools, which serve no purpose in the game.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Getting ride of shared pools isn't really an option -- so if you think there is early drafting advantage, what do you think the other fixes would be?

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While I think the advantage is smaller than most people think, there is most definitely an advantage. I proposed one fix. Another idea is very simple--basically a modified serpentine draft. Divide all active teams into three or, more ideally, six groups. If six, have group one open to draft Friday AM, group two Friday PM, etc. with group six finishing Sunday PM. Week two, reverse the order. Have the draft group number and time on each team's draft page. Randomize the groups every two weeks.

Yes, there would still be a very small advantage to racing to draft, but with less than 100 to each group the advantage would be minuscule.

Oh, and you can always draft later than the opening time. You just can't draft earlier.

Updated Monday, April 22 2019 @ 12:41:21 am PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Sounds like a Rube Goldberg approach to fixing a dripping faucet to me. Is it annoying? Sure. Should you be checking your insurance policy to see if second story water damage is covered? Probably not.

Big changes likely means big bugs. I'd like to avoid risking season destroying bugs unless the risk is worth the added feature or fix.

Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hehe. I couldn't help picturing John Madden at the chalk board as a I MukilteoMike's suggestion. :) (no offence intended)

With other draft changes underway, this issue should maybe sit on the back burner. Might not be a thing.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Those replies sound like people not wanting to give up their early drafting advantage. I generally draft early, too. Reducing the advantage is the right thing to do.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep. Self serving jerk. That's me in a nutshell :)
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In my opinion, saying "don't fix something because something somewhere might break" is a rather poor argument. Nothing would ever get fixed with that philosophy.

There's really nothing new or inventive about using a virtual serpentine draft. It's used in the majority of fantasy drafts because it's simple and fair. Hinting that incorporating one is inviting a cataclysm is completely over the top. Besides, anything like this, including the changes Steve has already given us glimpses of, probably should happen for round one of a season anyway.

Updated Monday, April 22 2019 @ 11:34:02 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea of extending Mike's suggestion, to holding out the top 700 (or however many can get drafted in a round) players, and automatically handing out one to each board. That way everyone is guaranteed to get at least one quality option that they may or may not guess right in choosing.

Certainly beats owner 1 having 10 "Above Average" players in round 1 while owner 2 has 10 "Very Good" players in round 1.

Really I think it is dumb that anyone is getting "Above Average" guys in the first round, but at least guaranteeing 1 "Very Good" would be a step in the right direction. Even if the guy isn't actually that great.

Updated Tuesday, April 23 2019 @ 6:09:44 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |