Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Add Pitcher Game Scores   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Bill James came up with the Game Score. He initially called it a junk stat, but it can be useful and interesting. I check these regularly for MLB and it's especially convenient for checking a starting pitcher's performance at a glance. The method:

Start with 50 points.
Add 1 point for each out recorded, so 3 points for every complete inning pitched.
Add 2 points for each inning completed after the fourth.
Add 1 point for each strikeout.
Subtract 2 points for each hit allowed.
Subtract 4 points for each earned run allowed.
Subtract 2 points for each unearned run allowed.
Subtract 1 point for each walk.

It's not hard to do this in your head, but it's easier if there's some processing power available. Could Broken Bat add code to compute the Game Score for each starting pitcher?

First, list it in the box score. I'd suggest to the right of where Broken Bat lists the pitchers for each team and the W, L, BS, S information. The starting pitcher always gets a Game Score even if he doesn't eventually get the W or L. For example, the XX might be a Game Score:

J. Kim (XX) W (3-3)

F. Robinson (XX) L (1-5)

R. Crusoe (XX)

Second, perhaps on the League Page where it lists "League Games" recently played? Could this write-up include Game Score information about both starting pitchers?

Third, perhaps the player pages for pitchers could include "Average Game Score"? I don't imagine it's too hard for the database to keep a running total of Game Scores for each pitcher in each season and divide this number by GS. Relievers could have a 0.

Fourth, perhaps the League Leaders page could have a spot for highest Game Scores in each season? (Also, the lowest?) It might be fun to track the best (and worst?) pitched games year to year, perhaps even with a link to that particular box score?

Could Game Score be used in other ways if it's coded into Broken Bat?

Grass-ias for your consideration.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Great idea, big fan of that story of thing.

Lately I've wondered about the possibility ly of double plays induced (DPI) stay also, perhaps already covered somewhat by GB:FB but I think it'd be valuable.

I've probably inadvertently hijacked this thread, but hey let's do both!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
How widely used is game score? I haven't heard many people using it.

Steve
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
How widely used is it? The links in my original post go to Game Score posts on ESPN and Baseball Reference. Every day, the front page of Baseball Reference has a link to "View All Starting Pitchers By Game Score". It's a quick check of who stunk and who starred. That probably fairly sums up how widely used Game Scores are. Not enough to be on the BRef front page, but enough to get a direct link from the front page. Not esoteric, but not completely standard. I think they're nice because they boil down a starting pitcher's performance to one number.
ChillFunkEz3000

High Point Shaolin Stars
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
+1

For reference there are two formulas for Game score.

Game Score formula (created by Bill James)

• Start with 50 points
• Add 1 point for each out recorded (or 3 points per inning)
• Add 2 points for each inning completed after the fourth
• Add 1 additional point for every strikeout
• Remove 2 points for each hit allowed
• Remove 4 points for each earned run allowed
• Remove 2 points for each unearned run allowed
• Remove 1 point for each walk allowed

Game Score formula (updated by Tom Tango)

• Start with 40 points
• Add 2 points for each out recorded (or 6 points per inning)
• Add 1 additional point for every strikeout
• Remove 2 points for each walk allowed
• Remove 2 points for each hit allowed
• Remove 3 points for each run allowed (earned or unearned)
• Remove 6 additional points for each home run allowed

Bill James wrote an article in which he compares the two versions, he finds that his version is slightly better that Tom's.

Bill writes:
<I think my systems "wins" this comparison, basically; it does a very slightly better job of identifying winning pitchers and pitchers with low ERAs, and does a much better job of keeping the scores in the zero to 100 range. The run support for my top 100,000 starts is very, very slightly less than for Tom’s 100,000.>

That said, in this game PPD I use Tom Tango's formula. Hehehe.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Since Steve added in the "Game Log" option on player pages, I thought I'd ask for this again. It would be fun and nice to have a Game Score as part of the pitching Game Log for starting pitchers. It's a cohesive, single number indicator of the quality of a pitcher's start. Clearly just omit that column for any relief appearance.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Most stats is always more fun :)

That said, I think looking at a single rolled up number is the road to ruin. I certainly hope I wouldn't use it. I'm already tempted with WHIP and OPS despite the fact they don't give you the whole picture.

Previous Page | Show All |