Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
_the previous post was 100% serious_

now, in JEST
TONGUE IN CHEEK

what about Dinosaurs?

I seem to remember I read somewhere, long time ago, that anthropologists found a tribe in the deep middle of .... (insert a continent of your choice) who idolatrize a figure resembling a Dinosaur.

Are we OK to use that one image for a silly game here?
Isn't that cultural appropriation?
Demeaning of religious symbols?

No need to say that no member of such people are here on BrokenBat to cry foul.
They live in the backwaters of civilization, they have no internet access, and don't speak english either.

Is that a good reason to deface their idols?
Are not they entitled to see their believes protected even though they are technologically and economically underprivilaged?

:)
Have Fun
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Edit: You know what, I'm not gonna post what I was originally. But seriously guys if you wanna continue to grasp at straws go for it.

I really just want to see in the future that changes are only made to the game when people actually support them. The wahoo thing is unimportant in the long run (although I am a little disturbed by what's happened here).

Updated Sunday, June 16 2019 @ 6:44:56 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In the US, Cow is mostly used as a slur against overweight women. I could see that Desi people (Indian would be the racist term for Desi) also being insulted. Given there are at least two negative connotations for Cow, it seems like it is a far more derogatory term than Wahoo (who's primary use is in reference to a tasty fish). So it seems to me like we should be striking Cow from the dictionary, per newspeak regulations.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
shifting the mood from serious to light hearted:

cow in hindi is "gai" (using the Roman alphabet)
which is pronounced as..... guy
so, I was told NEVER to call a guy... guy!
to their ears, it sounds mightily annoying :)

Indian is not regarded as derogatory word, to my knowledge.
It is an english word anyway, in hindi they call the country Bharat.

Desi, again, is english usage.
Desu means Country: Mero desu italy hu, my country is Italy, I'm from Italy. Never heard the word Desi to refer to the people, which is Jati. Which in english translates in Race, Caste.
Because locally they define themselves on racial basis: Aryans, Adivasi (indigenous), Dravidians, Parsi (Persian), Mongols (in Nepal), etc.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Desi isn't English usage. Really only Desi call themselves Desi. There is a slightly derogatory term that Desi born in India apply to those born in America, which is ABCD (meaning American Born Confused Desi). Chinese have a similar term ABC, which means American Born Chinese.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe it's time to move on from this issue...if somebody has some specific examples of where Wahoo or Cow or whatever is being used inappropriately, then just mail me.

Thanks,

Steve
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Piggybacking on a dead thread, but this article is really funny and 100% pertinent
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I wish to apologize for my overreaction earlier in this thread. I appreciate that Admin is doing their best to gauge what managers want and incorporate appropriate new features into the game.

I think I would have responded better had I learned of the change through a news post rather than the context I had (waiver starved team winning a big claim to find him locked with an unpalatable nick). That does not excuse my actions.

The change still strikes me as inconsistent with the rest of the BrokenBat experience. if I cut a player I relinquish control. I have no right to contact his new owner and say "Yo. Dude was an all star SS for 12 seasons. Why do you have him at 3B?" Or "Hey. Dude has batted lead off his entire career. How can you bat him 8th?"

It's not like comestics are given special status. If I relinquish my team for another, the new manager is entirely within his rights to move the team to a new city, or change the mascot to something different. I have no grounds to object.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but it seems to me there are relatively few RL players so ubiquitous in their fame as to have nicknames follow them wherever they go. There just aren't that many A-Rods or Pudges.

And that is in a 30 team league. Here we have ~700? And yet a player known as "the franchise" for a middling VI is expected to be referred to as that by fans and teammates as he plays his final few seasons as a PH for a rising II team.

I think I come off as more passionate about this than I actually am. I really don't care much about nicknames. I simply want to have control over my team. And I have that. I won't put waiver claims on any players with unpalatable nicknames moving forward.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm back!!! Been a while. Not sure if I'll pick a team up again since I'll probably not have enough time when I return to UVA this fall, but I've checked in every so often to see how the game is running and how my 'Topes are doing (Not good).

Anyway, I thought I would chime in on this thread as I am an undergraduate student at UVA. The term "Wahoo" came from a newspaper article way, way back in the late 1800s from an opposing baseball team's school (Washington and Lee) who called our players a "bunch of wahoos." (Whether that had a racist connotation is unknown.) The name kind of stuck, and we will to this day call ourselves "wahoos" with no second thought. In fact, if you walked up to a random UVA student (particularly a sports fan) and asked them if they went to UVA, 50% would answer "yes" and the other 50% would answer "Wahoowa!" Think of it like Auburn's "War Eagle!"

Now, if on a modern college campus this term is not considered racist, I don't know any conceivable way it can be construed as such. We are not referring in any way to Native American culture in a derogatory way. As for the Cleveland Indians, yeah I get that. Chief Wahoo does indeed seem pretty racist. But, I don't think the word "Wahoo" itself is racist. Context is important.

Updated Sunday, June 30 2019 @ 4:31:39 pm PDT
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Dangit ... can we petition for nicknames we think of later?

With Six You Get Egg Krol

Previous Page | Show All |