Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Plate discipline scouting report   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
nxck98

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sure, everyone wants to draft great hitters. But I think plate discipline comments could be good.

First off, getting on base is the first step to scoring runs. You need players with good discipline to draw walks, and if they are good at drawing them, it should state that the player is "patient" and "waits for his opportunities".

Secondly, I've seen too many power guys with low PD, and some guys with bad hitting but good PD. Just weird to look at IMO.

I think drawing walks is an underrated stat, and scouting reports should include the player's ability to get on base.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Minor league strike outs and walks combined with the words "above average, good, or very good" potential (and the rest of the scouting report comments) give all the information you need to determine a good estimate of all skills including PD or BC. (imo of course).
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 with commentary:

A guy's Broken Bat walk rate seems to stay consistent and is probably one of the easiest things to project from his minor league stats. If he's 60 points over his batting average in the minors, I think he'll tend to be 60 points over for the big club. For example, a .250 average leads to a .310 on base percentage. It's not perfect correlation, but I think it's usually close.

Like a player's Arm and Range, if this value is relatively consistent in Broken Bat, it should be relatively easy to scout for the draft. Accordingly, I'm all for including the ordinary and slightly fuzzed scouting remarks regarding Plate Discipline that Broken Bat currently gives for Hitting and Power.

That being said, I also think real world scouts have a significantly harder time predicting Hitting than Plate Discipline. Hitting skill is notoriously hard to predict. It feels less realistic that scouts in Broken Bat seem to know who the great hitters will be. Maybe add Plate Discipline comments, but consider taking out Hitting comments?
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Sure, I'd be game! +1
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
-1. If we give a plate discipline scouting report, that only leaves Bat Control unknown. It would be too easy for shrewd owners to project exactly what players would look like. I like the unknown here.

However +1 to taking out hitting comments and adding PD.

Updated Thursday, June 13 2019 @ 7:06:08 am PDT
nxck98

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would be open to taking out hitting comments and adding PD comments to replace.

Thanks guys for supporting the idea!

Updated Thursday, June 13 2019 @ 7:56:15 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
No hitting scout report seems a bit weird as it is one of the most critical components of the game of baseball. I'm fine with needing to project their potential to grow for PD. We have more than enough information to figure that out through a projection.

Looking at real life scout reports, Hitting is always included. But I'm not seeing PD or BC.

https://baseballhall.org/discover/2018-hof-classic-scouting-reports

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bo-jacksons-1985-scouting-report-hint-he-was-good-at-baseball/

https://images.app.goo.gl/vkX9oJb4gtrX8oaJ9

I'm not sure its realistic to include PD in the scouting report.

Updated Thursday, June 13 2019 @ 10:37:27 am PDT
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
re: scouting reports plate discipline

according to readings in real life baseball i've done on the subject of career ageing curves (don't recall which sabermetric site/author) plate discipline & walk rates are meaningless at amateur levels and rookie affiliate minor leagues. Most pitchers at those levels lack control and batters can often wait out a pitcher to earn a walk. Starting at A ball, and improving with each subsequent level up, the walk rate data becomes progressively more meaningful.

for low level talent evaluations: age relative to league level, hitting, power, and K% were more predictive of eventual major league success.

also, re: walk rate, that skill appears to continue improving beyond all other batter skills, usually performance in that skill peaking after 31 years old. 2nd latest skill peaking appears to be power, that topping out at 29.2 on average.

i'm not sure if broken bat incorporates similar skill growth caps/apex points

Updated Sunday, January 26 2020 @ 11:25:58 am PST

Updated Sunday, January 26 2020 @ 11:27:39 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't completely ignore Amateur data. Is is going to be less telling then minors, but its still telling. A guy who strikes out 100+ times and only walks 10+ times but show average PD, is probably overrated.

Broken Bat performance is based on skill ratings (which we only have a fuzzy view of). A guy at the A level may start with fairly low PD (resulting in a poor K/BB ratio) but then progress quickly and get better as he advances. Just like in real life, you get a better view of the player the longer they play in the minors. All players have different growth rates, but you will start to see who they are after a couples seasons.

Updated Sunday, January 26 2020 @ 5:47:14 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |