Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> blowing in the wind   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
terryhumphreys

Athens Gold
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
It would be nice if the weather report indicated if the wind was blowing in, out, or neutral.
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1
terryhumphreys

Athens Gold
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How many times can a man turn his head,
And pretend that he just doesn't see?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Does the weather forecast with respect to wind usually have direction though? And wouldn't it be different for every ballpark?

Steve
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Does the weather forecast with respect to wind usually have direction though?

Absolutely, it does. Here's just one example of a Baseball Reference box score for you. Search through that link for "Start Time Weather".

And wouldn't it be different for every ballpark?

Yes, it would in real life. Broken Bat obviously couldn't/shouldn't simulate that. But I see no harm in using "Wind Blowing Out" or "Wind Blowing In" or "Neutral Wind" for every team in a particular region through the "Weather" tab. Just break up Broken Bat "Windy" weather into three different weathers and make it explicit in the Game Manual whether a particular weather is increasing or decreasing the home run rate or anything else. MAYYYYYYYBE:

Wind Blowing Out: More home runs. Maybe even more doubles. Maybe more hits total. Maybe more errors.

Wind Blowing In: Fewer home runs. Maybe even fewer doubles. Maybe fewer hits total. Maybe more errors.

Wind Neutral: Maybe more errors. Maybe more strikeouts & walks.

This change could be fun because we'll all see those "Wind Blowing Out" games and expect a wild one. See the "In" days and expect it to stay close and tight. It adds fun for the narrative.

Updated Monday, June 24 2019 @ 5:51:52 am PDT
terryhumphreys

Athens Gold
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Kudos to my friend Mooface for showing us the power of music and to Steve for responding and hopefully starting a discussion on this subject.

Everybody talks about the weather but nobody does anything about it. Mark Twain

I don't believe this is true. Sparing no expense, Steve hired the world's best meteorologist. He predicts the weather 6 days in advance with a 100% accuracy rate. How many times must he be right before we call his forecasts reports?

Updated Monday, June 24 2019 @ 8:59:23 am PDT

Updated Wednesday, June 26 2019 @ 5:02:53 pm PDT
terryhumphreys

Athens Gold
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Did this change in the code? I hovered over my "Windy" weather during playback today and the text said "Windy - Blowing Out". Moo-ray!

Here's a game from 2042 where the weather says "Windy".

Here's a game from 2043 where the weather says "Windy - Blowing out".

Follow up questions:

Will the descriptions change on the "Weather" tab? If it's "Blowing In", will the icon be reversed?

Will this change the play of the game itself? More/less homers, for example?

Previous Page | Show All |