Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Minor Draft Change   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Instead of clicking on the "Draft Player" button and getting the 50/50 warning you would see your slate of ten players. If you click on one of their draft buttons you'd get the 50/50 warning, but you'd see the ten available players before you decide if you want to cut someone to make room to draft one of them.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think his POT is going to "sharpen" until someone drafts him.

What are you basing this on?

Not 100%, but I think that is how sharpening works right now. Guys who aren't on team never get sharpened. It happens with the Training updates. Guys who aren't on a team, don't get sharpened.

But I suppose it depends on how Steve has amateur development implemented. I would certainly hope players don't sharpen while they are still on their Highschool teams. Seems like it would eliminate that feature, which would be unfortunately. I like having at least some mystery on the guys we draft.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would bet the other way. The consensus seems to be we saw more potential "sharpening" last season. If it the clarity is prompted by drafting, wouldn't we have seen just as much this season? I agree that it makes sense for it to occur after being drafted, but I'm not convinced that's the model.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Pretty sure the 2 point swings we saw last season had more to do with developing algorithms than sharpening. I don't ever remember seeing FAs sharpen.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
As someone who's permanently struggling with full roster, I vote in favor of Haselrig's suggestion. :)

Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Not 100%, but I think that is how sharpening works right now.

Incremental improvement during the prospects amateur career is how I'm hoping this goes. Seems like the most sustainable system would be to feed under-cooked high-schoolers into the bottom of the stack and have them improve organically like they do in the minors until they get drafted or fall off the top after graduating college. Neither the farm or this form of the draft really requires human input to work.
StretchDynamo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I really enjoyed the discussion in this thread, a lot of interesting points all around.

+1 on the original idea, though!
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

Pretty sure the 2 point swings we saw last season had more to do with developing algorithms than sharpening. I don't ever remember seeing FAs sharpen

Agree.
Last year was a matter of implementing a new model. All reports are consistent in that it involved the 4th and 5th (6th?) round.
Later rounds were born with fuzzinness included.

However, I disagree on the other assumption, Rock.
Sure, "sharpening" of fuzzy potential takes place along with training. So FAs will not benefit from it because they do not train.
But prospects DO train!
Different training, I think.
But their skill are improving.
At least from one season to the next, if not from week to week.
It is stated on the player's card!
Look at his SI total at the start of the season, as an Amateur, and then as a Minor leaguer: he gained points.
They are trainingl!

Makes sense to think that fuzziness is improving along with training the same way other players are revealing changes in Range of Arm skills
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Incremental improvement during the prospects amateur career is how I'm hoping this goes.

I kind of hope it doesn't. If they are fully sharpened before we draft them, it takes a lot of the assessment skill out of the game. Right now someone who does a good job analyzing the performance stats (like Seca), can do a better job drafting/claiming. If the fuzziness disappears during the amateurs, it minimizes the usefulness of that skill.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
They are training!

Yes, I agree they are training. I am just hoping amateur training doesn't trigger sharpening the same way minor/major league training does. Or at least at a much lower rate. But that is just my hope.

Updated Tuesday, July 30 2019 @ 4:11:57 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |