Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Suggestion: Waiver Wire Transactions Should Operate like Standard Fantasy Sports Waiver Wires   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow that led to quite the discussion and some good points being brought up!

I'm not passionate enough about the suggestion to make a strong set of claims about one particular solution, but here are some observations:

1) the current method works fine as is.
2) technically it's not adding another spot. you'd have to do a very detailed analysis of the activity levels of continuous waiver wire users to determine how many "extra players" it would tie up. My guess without having access to that data is 50-100 based on max claims on an elite waiver wire player when everyone throws their chips in on them.
3) It gives more control over who you'd drop depending on who you win, which to me would be a good thing.
4) What it would probably result in is even higher waiver claim participation (good or bad) which means more player turnover and more overall players hitting waiver wires.
5) Even if my original "one-in one-out" could only be implemented by reducing roster spots to 49, I would still be for it since I'd have more control over situational organization moves depending on what claims I won. This WOULD result in an initial surge of players hitting waivers

Just to clarify my intention: You decide to make a claim on a player. right now if you have 50 the claim still shows up on your transactions tab, but you have zero chance of winning the claim unless you drop someone. under this method there'd be a "conditional cut" drop down box next to each claim, and you'd select who you'd cut claim by claim. the default value of the drop down box is "N/A". If you have less than 50 you'd still be able to win the claim, if you're already full you wouldn't without making a cut selection.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This biggest issue I see with this is that I already hear people saying "I only claimed him to make it harder for others to get him". Right now, doing something like that costs you an opportunity. But if the proposed change was made, some people would just claim every decent player even if they had no intention of keeping them. They would just keep doing this over and over to try and delay/prevent others from actually picking up the player. The "correct" strategy would be for everyone to now do this. Basically you just throw your net in the water and then evaluate what you caught after you win players. It would completely change the waiver system, and in my opinion, in a negative way.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What? With the suggestion you still have to release someone to get someone. As soon as you successfully get a waiver, the associated release immediately occurs.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
How long can people wait to make a decision? Do you have to check you team every day to avoid losing claims?

Even if you only have 1 day. What stops you from claiming 200 players, and then dropping them all back onto waivers, only to claim them again?

Why would you not just claim every player? It takes them away from your opponents (especially at the end of the waiver period), and gives you options.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah. You don't understand the suggestion. When you put in a claim, you put in an associated drop. If you get a successful claim, a release occurs simultaneously. You don't get the claim and put them in a holding cell. They immediately go to your team just as another player is immediately released. They occur at the same time, basically as one transaction.

As was stated above, this only applies if you have a full roster. If you don't have 50 before the claim, you simply just get him.

Updated Saturday, September 21 2019 @ 12:46:28 pm PDT
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
say you have 9 claims, 3 on P's, 3 on OF's, and 3 on C's. if you select the same conditional P, OF, and C to drop on your roster, then the most claims you can win is 3. once you win a C, you can't win another C because you've already dropped the C you said you'd drop that day.

to your point: the next day you could claim a bunch of C's and conditionally drop the one you just picked up. But it's not changing the talent level on the waiver wire bc other managers will just keep having a chance to pick them up too as you try and cycle through.

if you set it up to win all 9 claims, you have select 9 DIFFERENT players on your roster. I don't think it would be wise to drop 9 roster slots in one day just to tie up 9 waiver wire caliber players, just so that other people can't claim them. why? because you just sacrificed 9 guys to do that and in 4 days they'll be hitting the waiver wire themselves and they're gone to all those teams your were trying to rob of talent.

I supposed you could set a max number of waiver wire acquisitions by season if that really became a problem.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That isn't how I read the original suggestion. That sounds extremely messy to implement.

JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
fair enough.

And that does it for me on this concept, just wanted the whole idea to be explained.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
It was a reasonable suggestion. :)

The difference between BrokenBat and any fantasy sports I've done is that fantasy sports have built in "share the wealth" mechanics. If you make a waiver claim, you drop to the bottom of the list. Next time you claim someone above you on the list takes priority.

We don't have that here. The hard cap at 50 is the closest we get to "share the wealth".

If you are at 49 and see two players you want you either:
- shotgun both of them (can only win 1 - STW)
- prioritize one and drop the claim on the other (STW)
- open an additional roster spot (released player is new supply - STW)

Adding roster purgatory jams it all up. This is magnified by the number of teams. Fantasy sports leagues have like 8 to 20? We have over 700. And the supply of "good" players likely isn't that much higher than a typical fantasy league.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure why you continue to use the term roster purgatory. It is inaccurate. You drop a player with every claim (if you already have 50). There is no holding of claims.

The process is: 1. System designates you have a successful claim that will soon be processed. 2. Designated player is released. 3. Claimed player is placed on your roster.

I also disagree with your last statement. There are hundreds, even thousands, of borderline players. The number of transactions/claims throughout the season proves it.

Updated Monday, September 23 2019 @ 12:42:28 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |