Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Can you please make a quick comment on the draft pools?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Last season was unique in it was the first season of the new draft. The prospects were certainly less picked-over than it will going forward.

New younger players are created each season. Additionally, some older players are revealed as they pop on to teams scouting radar. For North American, some players were unavailable because of their class (high school juniors, college underclassmen etc.). That's kind of the new system -- I will keep tweaking and improving it.

In terms of the high school & college pools. I posed this question last season -- should we have a separate selections for junior college and college -- or should they be combined?

Steve

hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Admin: In terms of the high school & college pools. I posed this question last season -- should we have a separate selections for junior college and college -- or should they be combined?

"Did you get any of that?"

wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
What words did you clearly not say there, hurst?
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
So let me see if I have this straight.

1) Last season the draft was brand new and packed to the gills with talent.

2) Accordingly, that new talent was picked by thos teams who got lucky with the RNG bounces.

3) Since the draft pool was picked clean last season, this season's pool is BY DESIGN intended to have a lower overall amount of talent.

4) Now everyone gets to pick from a neutered talent pool this season.

5) Because last seasons draft pool was so packed with talent, everyone is hording their draft picks which has created a FA pool at the young age ranges that is basically empty.

5) Those teams that didn't get the lucky RNG bounces last season are now get the double whammy of a depleted talent pool in the draft and a depleted FA pool.

6) And to top it off teams can't even make the managerial decision to draft HS players only and take the long-term development track.

How does any of this actually improve the game? I certainly don't see the benefits or the bigger picture improvements.

Now yes, I will acknowledge that being able to see skills and potential before selecting is an improvement.

However, it is also the reason behind every single problem listed above because it has allowed managers to deplete the draft pool more quickly than it would be ordinarily.

In other words: the draft pool would not have been depleted so quickly if the full player skills and talent were not shown before selecting.

Updated Monday, August 26 2019 @ 6:14:08 am PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the clarification, Steve. So if I understand you correctly, some players are generated each offseason that don't necessarily show up initially, because they're ineligible (sophomore, e.g.) or because, for some reason, they are a non-prospect and need to gain some experience before becoming interesting enough to draft. I'm going to guess that a small number of these players created in 2040 that we're drafting in 2042 may fall into the latter category, and some could have been drafted in 2041 but didn't show up or weren't selected?

Updated Monday, August 26 2019 @ 6:39:49 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure that is what he said. I think he is saying that players are created as Freshmen in highschool (although the initial pool was seeded by players at all levels). If these highschool players are not drafted by the time they hit college, they are removed from the pool until they are seniors.

This is probably part of the reason we don't have a separate highschool draft. Highschool is where most of the talented players will come out of. College will just be a few sleepers who slip through.

Updated Monday, August 26 2019 @ 1:29:11 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Because last seasons draft pool was so packed with talent, everyone is hording their draft picks which has created a FA pool at the young age ranges that is basically empty.

I didn't see that at all this year. There were tons of talented youths in the FA pool.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock

I was trying to fit something around this set of words from Steve: "Additionally, some older players are revealed as they pop on to teams scouting radar."

That tells me some players are created but can't be drafted the year they are created because, I don't know, they're not ready for the minor leagues or are low-level talent but then get better. I'm just guessing at what he means by that statement.

Oh, and I also agree that FA talent has been out there all offseason. I have three players on my waiver list for tonight, and only one open spot ... for example.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a good point. That probably does mean some guys a "hidden" in high school. Which is good.
DRS71119

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
After reading this thread, I have a better understanding of why H.S. & College pools were combined into one North American pool. I would like to see it see it separated to H.S. & College again because it would make it easier to pick younger guys. I hope we can get this option again.

Previous Page | Show All |