Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Left on Base stats   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think these have been recorded on a game basis for some time now. Is it still planned to add this to the team stats page? It might be useful because I feel as if my team hits worse with runners on base and would like to know if this is more than a feeling.

Cheers
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This would be useful only if Steve changed the algorithm to count this, right now team LOB is a sum of each player's LOB. And this is not entirely correct.

A quick example, you load the bases with 1 out. The next 2 guys strikeout, so for both of them LOB is 3. The team LOB should be 3 as well, but it will show 6.

It's a small issue, but would need to be fixed if you wanted to see a credible team LOB.

Oh and btw - the same issue concerns doubleplays. If you have one 5-4-3 doubleplay in the game, in the summary you will see that you have three (one for each player).
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I am not asking for the team figure but I think it would still be useful to see an individual's season LOB stats as an indicator as this data is already being gathered.

I am assuming that this is more straightforward to provide than a player's breakdown situational batting average, etc. which would be more meaningful.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oops, indeed I misread your initial post a bit. You got me with the "team stats page" ;)

So for player stats, the more the better. Baseball is a stat game after all. Maybe we could add RISP as well.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea (+1), but this should probably be move to the suggestion forum rather than the bug forum...
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Left on Base from Wikipedia

A baserunner is said to be left on base (abbreviated LOB) or stranded when the half-inning ends and he has not scored or been put out. This includes a batter-runner who has hit into a fielder's choice, causing another runner to be put out as the 3rd out.[5]

Team LOB totals are commonly reported in a baseball box score. It counts only those left standing on the bases when the third out of an inning occurs. Team LOB is used in "proving" a box score. The number of a team's plate appearances is to equal the sum of that team's runs, that team's LOB, and the opposing team's putouts. In other words, every batter who completes a plate appearance is accounted for by a run scored, being put out, or LOB.

Individual LOB totals are sometimes reported in baseball box scores. This is a more recent statistic that is computed for each player who is at bat at least once in a game and is calculated on how many baserunners were "left on base" when the player was at-bat and caused an out, no matter how many outs there were at the time. Note that "at bat" does not include other plate appearances such as sacrifice bunts or flies made by the batter, third outs caused by pickoffs or caught stealing, or games ended with the winning run scoring on a successful steal, etc. Two common misconceptions of the individual LOB are that the individual LOB is the number of times the player was left on base as a baserunner (this is a "runner's LOB" and is not usaully recorded), or that the individual LOB applies only when the at-bat player caused the third out. Note that the total of the individual LOBs for all players on a team will usually exceed the team LOB.A related statistic is "left on base in scoring position", which includes only those LOB where the runner was occupying second or third base. Yet another related statistic is "left on base in scoring position with less than two out". The intention of these statistics is to measure the tendency of a team or player wasting an opportunity to score.

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
LOB is often reported in the box scores, but I've never seen it listed as a accumulated season statistic for a player. So I'm not planning on adding it at this time.

Looking into adding team LOB to the box score though...

Steve
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That's fine.

It seems to me that LOB is a cosmetic stat as I can't tell much from a single game figure. It might be of interest when looking at a real life box score but of no value to me from a game perspective. Would be interested to know if others find it useful or do some analysis on it.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There is a big debate over whether clutch hitting actually exists. If you just think hits are random, then LOB & RBIs aren't really important statistics. If you believe in timely hitting, then maybe they are.

Steve
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Point taken.

I think this is a case where having the stats helps establish the facts of the matter. When watching the game simulation it can feel as if every time the opposition get a runner on base the next guy knocks it out of the park; whereas we get a lead-off double then the next three guys appear to whiff at air.

This being particularly the case when you're having a rubbish season like we are. The truth is we are batting poorly and pitching absolutely dreadfully; fielding being the only thing we're doing OK at.

Previous Page | Show All |