Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Player overstepping his own scouting.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/124960

Won him on the waiver claims,

Scouting Report: He can develop into a decent slugger. He has above average overall potential.

Listed grades

15 hitting
15 BC
12 PD
16 Power
7 Speed

14 Fielding
12 Range
13 Arm

104 SI, 13 Potential.

A couple of things obviously stand out to me.

1) Hitting of 15 with zero hitting comment. While you haven't come out and said the rating caps that i've seen, i believe the generally accepted range stops at best at a 13.

2) 14 Fielding on a guy with no fielding comment is also higher than expected. I would think he might require a "solid" defensive comment.

3) his 2028 season as far as i can tell poofed from existence.

It's my guess that this is a bug that originates from his drafted age and his initial skillset in most cases, but you might want to investigate what happened here. He is 28 now so i doubt he gets a ton better from here on (107-108 SI at best?, and 3 seasons before he starts the downward trend perhaps).

Updated Sunday, October 2 2016 @ 12:32:43 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Fascinating, I've never seen a guy go past his scouting by that much and in two categories. I think I'll bookmark this. I'd call it an outlier more so than a bug, as virtually everything in this game has been proven to be able to have outliers (i.e. whether it be player performance, training, game results, award voting, etc.).

Edit: As for the 2028 season, it could be a bug, or it could be that he was on the major league roster, but didn't play at all. Not sure whether that would work the same way in the minors, as I've never seen a guy be on the team for a full season without playing a single minor league game.

Updated Sunday, October 2 2016 @ 7:13:26 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, second guy we've seen. Remember Temple on the Bolingbrook Beavers.

I'm not sure if its a bug or a feature though. Sometimes guys are off on their POT by a few points as well. We all assumed it was rounding errors, but maybe not. And then there are guys like Byrd who never reach their potential despite being recommended and getting plenty of innings. Maybe this has to do with miss-scouted or over-rated players. Too bad we can't tell which is which...

Does Won have 14 Fielding, being miss-scouted (scouting report) by 2 points (less than 20%), or does Won really have 12 Fielding and he is overrated (current ratings) by 2 points (less than 20%).

I'm confident overrating is real based on the variance in players' performances. But I think miss-scouting may be real as well.

Updated Sunday, October 2 2016 @ 9:17:09 am PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know what he looked like previously, but Temple looks like he fits his scouting report now?

As for Won he almost certainly spent all of 2028 in the majors without playing in a single game, because the team went bot. For all that, he still gained 7 SI over the season!
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Typically when i see a player over or under achieving, he does so away from his ratings. This is to say that his ratings are a lie, and his stats are the truth. In this case, what you are suggesting would be the opposite. If thats a new feature it might make it difficult to scout lol.

It's really just a question of whether or not this is a display bug of some sort for me. If he actually is an 11 potential and actually has ratings 4-5 below what he shows, then thats a brutal waste of investment of several hundred AB's to find out (as i could grab the next guy off the waiver/FA and get 6-8 SI improvement on a good day during the season).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Temple has 16 Movement, which shouldn't be possible without a scouting report.

Won's Hitting and Fielding are both higher than his scouting report suggests should be possible.

If its happening I doubts its a change. Its just that being off by a maximum of 20% means most players would only be off by 1 at most. These guys would be outliers. It shouldn't change how you scout players, it just might explain why some players fall short of their ratings even when they have been trained properly.

Updated Sunday, October 2 2016 @ 3:19:26 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It doesn't really change much considering the frequency at which it happens. I had forgotten about Temple, but that is two players who overtrained their scouting reports out of thousands that have been run across over the past couple of years. That is a very small rate of occurrence, and thus why I called it an outlier. You should never base a policy off of outliers, such as no longer following scouting reports just because 1 in 1000 players overtrain it.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So I should cut all the 9 POT guys I just signed? :D
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Byrd is a good example of an extreme outlier on the other side. I'm disappointed he didn't reach his advertised potential, but even at 5 points off I don't consider him a wasted investment.

Besides, there are plenty of wasted investments that reach their potential and still stink.

Previous Page | Show All |