Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Hit and run bug?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
A slow runner like Feller is not necessarily going to get to 3B on a short one hopper to CF. Especially if the CF is playing in, or he slides into second...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30419-1374847420-23.gif

Updated Sunday, June 11 2017 @ 4:36:10 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Of course there are plenty of examples where they only go to second in the real world. The point is they are in the minority, but it happens the vast majority of the time here. Base running in general is horribly unrealistic in BB with hit and runs probably being the worst of all. I take that back; force plays to third are the most ridiculous.

Edit--That video above is probably not a hit and run because the runner never looks home. That's more than likely a straight steal.

Updated Sunday, June 11 2017 @ 6:27:15 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Will look into the probabilities. Maybe they need some tuning...

Thanks,

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You also might want to look at where outs are recorded. One of the oddities of hit and runs here is that the lead runner is still usually where the out is recorded on ground balls. It eliminates a large number of double plays, but the lead runner is still usually called out while putting the batter on. It doesn't move runners well at all.

Updated Tuesday, June 13 2017 @ 4:06:37 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I raised the concern about the lead runner getting cut down too often many seasons back. IIRC it was tweaked. I personally observe it rarely now. Rare enough that I think it is realistic (does happen sometimes).

I don't have a problem with not advancing to 3B on a hit to the OF - if the ball hangs up and the runner can't tell if it is going to drop or not, the advantage gained by starting the runner is lost.

The biggest current problem,with hit and run is it being used with a runner on 2B and 1B empty. There is no advantage at all of starting the runner in this scenario.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have hit and run cancelled on all of my players, so I can only base it on what I see from the opposition's use. We record the out on the advance runner on ground balls far more often than the batter; I'd guess two to one conservatively. I would also guess the runner advances two bases less than a fourth of the time. That's not realistic.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd guess two to one conservatively. I would also guess the runner advances two bases less than a fourth of the time.

Difficult to argue with made up numbers. Especially conservative made up numbers. :)

I get why you'd do that tho. Data isn't easy to gather. I probably spent close to an hour looking through game reports and only found 5 hit and runs where the runner started on 1st and a put out was made. 4 of the put outs were at 1st, 1 was at 2nd. But a sample of 5 isn't much better than making numbers up.

I saw an even split on successful hit & runs (stopping at 2B vs. advancing to 3B). But again, the sample was tiny.

Vast majority of H & R attempts I saw were Ks. But this may be more on the managers than the match engine. Often the batter had BC under 10.

Like you, I don't use H & R very often. I will certainly defer to those who do, and should have stayed out of this. I'm definitely not against some tweaking of the tool.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The day I originally posted this I went back 15-20 games maybe, I really don't remember, and counted only the times where a hit and run was attempted when there was a runner on 1st. Out of 7 attempts there were 2 where the runner made it to 3rd and 5 where he stopped at 2nd base. Again, I know it's an extremely small sample size, and maybe that's the reason that I found what I did. One of these rainy days I'll sit around and go through my entire season and figure out the numbers, it just struck me as odd that more often than not the runner would stop at 2nd on a hit a run when there's a hit to the outfield.

So tonight happened to be my rainy day. Here are the results.

-League games
-Runner on first
-Ball is put in play by the batter

A total of 21 attempts:
-single, runner advanced to 3rd base (1) .048%
-single, runner stopped at 2nd base (7) .333%
-ground ball in infield, runner forced out at 2nd base (4) .190%
-ground ball in infield, runner advanced to 2nd base (7) .333%
-double to outfield, runner scored (2) .095%

I guess I didn't remember the numbers correctly in my original post because only one time did the runner make it to 3rd base. Oh well. Also, I didn't include the instances where the batter struck out, only balls that were put in to play. It's still an extremely small sample size but it did make me realize that more often than not, the hit and run did not produce a positive result. I don't think I'll be using H&R from here on out.

Updated Thursday, June 15 2017 @ 11:22:13 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, I can run some simulates and look at a lot of data pretty easily.

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It hasn't happened with much frequency in my games this year (all of them are from the opponents because I have X settings on every player), but here are the results. I almost hate to share the data; I'd hate for my opponents to stop trying the futile play.

17 hit and runs so far this season.
They've struck out 5 times, 4 of which were strike-em-out-throw-em-out double plays.

There were 6 occurrences where the ball was hit to an infielder. One resulted in a double play (16.7%). Four resulted in the lead runner making the out (66.7%). Only once did the lead runner make it safely (16.7%).

There were also 6 occurrences where the batter got a hit that left the infield. Only once (16.7%) did the runner advance two bases instead of one.

Edit--Oh bleep. Word quickly got out to The Magicians about this to which they promptly responded, "Has it ever occurred to you that we are just a phenomenal defensive team?!" Of course you're awesome, guys! (It looks like I'll be buying All-Star Break gifts for all of them to show them my appreciation for their amazing handling of hit and runs.
I've come up with the perfect gift--I'm not demoting any of them so those that have earned it can make the All Star Team. I know many have said that doesn't affect salaries. I've had a few examples where a player has had a good first half an earned an All Star spot, then tanked in the second half making for a below average year, yet their salaries still jumped. As a result, I'm not convinced being an All Star isn't considered.)

Updated Tuesday, June 20 2017 @ 10:51:00 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |