Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> bottom 9, infield in, 0 outs, winning run on 3rd. SS throws to 1B...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A few days ago I noticed this bizarre game ending in the play by play. Tie game, bottom of the 9th, runner on 3rd, infield in. Manager decides to not walk the bases loaded. The ball is hit to my SS (who has a 19 arm FWIW) who fields the ball , ignores the runner on 3rd, & proceeds to lose the game on a meaningless throw to 1B. Here's the PBP. Game link: http://brokenbat.org/game/2810869

:

Green Bay 5, Maple Grove 4

Bottom 9th: Maple Grove
Nunez takes the mound to pitch.
Rincon hits a ground ball single through to right field.
Raiku comes in to pitch.
Donahue hits a triple to center field. Rincon comes in to score.
Carrera comes in to pitch.
The infield draws in and outfield is playing shallow.
Cummings grounds to short stop. Cummings is thrown out at first by Puente. Donahue comes in to score.

Green Bay 5, Maple Grove 6

Any thoughts on this?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is not an unusual occurrence here. It gets under my skin, but we need to reprogram our thoughts about it because it probably isn't going to change. Read it this way instead...

...and the play at the plate...safe! Game over!!

I have a hunch that is basically what is happening. There are never any plays that we see the play at the plate and the runner is safe. I think the game scenario probably goes like this...

Can the runner be thrown out at home? If yes, throw home and record the out. If no, get the runner out.

There are many late/end game scenarios that simply aren't right. Heck, there are many throughout the entire game. The ones at the end, however, are super obvious. Don't expect that to change.

Like I said, I bet the game is trying to record the out at home first. If it isn't successful, it still records the easy, albeit unrealistic, out at first.

Alternate version--Or you can also simply consider it to be like this memorable
World
Series moment

brought to you by the 2015 World Champion Kansas City Royals.

Updated Wednesday, June 6 2018 @ 9:44:03 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, he should probably come home in this instance. I will look into this. The game engine is lacking a bit in game end logic.

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I have looked at the logic here...and this issue is a problem, but it's not something that would change the outcome of the game.

In this case, the fielder can't get the runner coming home so he throws to first. He should probably still throw home, but in this case he isn't going to get the runner before he scores.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |