Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Inexcusable defensive decision by the AI.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Alyksandur

Boca Raton Gryphons
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
 I’m pretty sure this one has been brought up before, but there is no universe in which this sort of thing should happen:

————————————————————

Milpitas 6, Boca Raton 6

Bottom 9th: Boca Raton
  Veras takes the mound to pitch.
  Tejeda draws a walk.
  Portillo hits a double to left field. Tejeda advances to third base.
  Conner comes in to pitch.
  The infield draws in and outfield is playing shallow.
  Ju grounds to second base. Ju is thrown out at first by McCarty. Tejeda comes in to score. Portillo advances to third base.
Milpitas 6, Boca Raton 7

————————————————————

…Yes, this is a game I won. It doesn’t change the fact that, in a tie game in the bottom of the ninth with nobody out and a runner on third, under absolutely no conceivable circumstances whatsoever should a ground ball to second base result in a 4-3 putout that allows the winning run to score.

If this happened in a real baseball game, the second baseman would never be allowed to put a glove on again. This is what needs to happen under these circumstances:

Ju grounds to second base. Tejeda comes in to score. Portillo advances to third base. Ju reaches first on a fielder’s choice.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You're right, of course, but Steve explained it before as something like this:
The play at the plate would result in the runner being safe. Always. So the game just does the normal thing and records the out.

The description is definitely unsatisfying, but I don't mind it now. Steve could spend time programming it to make a safe play, but that seems unnecessary.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Mike is right. Steve replied in a thread I made last year, if you want to read it:

http://brokenbat.org/forum/0/6/5726

Previous Page | Show All |