Baseball Forum

Forum >> Baseball >> DH in the National League   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jedirob

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It is up to the NL owners on the decision of a DH. Most owners don't like the idea. I think only one owner in the NL would like to have a DH, but not sure which one.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Never been a fan of the DH, I agree wholeheartedly with Crazy Li on this.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
See, I go the other way and would prefer the DH and I'm in Cincinnati, where we've always had pitchers hit.

My thinking is no way the MLBPA is ever going to let the DH go away. Those can be some big contracts for aging players. Also, inter-league play, as awful as it is, is not going to go away either. More options for the home team to use the "flex-pricing" and bring in more cash. (Flex pricing: tickets cost more for games against popular teams and cheaper for the dregs of the league). Not to mention cable-ready series' like Dodgers at Yankees instead of a seventh Dodgers/Rockies series.

So being from a baseball-rich city and one time detesting the DH, it's time to let go of that way of thinking.

The game is changed.

I'm tired of going into AL parks and having the fourth outfielder get 4 AB's while the AL club trots out a professional hitter. When you get Nelson Cruz and I get Skip Schumacher, I'm at a disadvantage. Plus, wouldn't it be nice not to have to watch Joey Votto schlep around the field at age 38?

In NL parks, it means having to watch the Indians 5th starter take his first swings since junior high, while missing out on seeing a star player who has to ride the pine because that club has two star first basemen and can only play one.

The DH has been around for over 40 years.

Forty.

Forty years is not a trial basis. It's staying. And I want it in Cincinnati.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't want to see the DH come to the senior circuit. I like it just the way it is in the AL. Baseball is different than other pro sports because there are two separate leagues playing at the pro level. Just look at the diversity in the ball parks. They all have different quirks. If you want uniformity, then watch football or hockey.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I could go either way. I mean on the one hand, there's a lot of folks who might not have had as good a career if they couldn't have spent some of their time as DH - It's a useful place to stick the player recovering from injury who needs to get back into it but shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the field for a few games, or the 3B with the better bat while the one with the better glove takes the field. At the same time, though, I love moments like this.
Maksim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think weather it's all leagues have DH or no leagues with DH I think all leagues should have the same rules
Maksim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
And whoever said "the NL doing it one way and the AL the other is pure stupidity" I completely agree
Daniel2

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Quanin I agree

Updated Thursday, July 14 2016 @ 4:05:35 am PDT
Fife

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I am not in favor of the DH. It's fine in the AL and it can stay there. I am an NL fan the teams i care for all play in the NL. I like the strategies that take place in having the pitcher bat. If you are going to adopt the DH across MLB why not adopt a Designated Runner for the catcher. The ruler already exists in softball so why not put it in baseball as well. It could increase runs by getting rid of slower catchers on the bases and let fast guys steal more bases. I hate the idea but if the idea is to increase scoring and to allow more players to be in the game than that's an answer. I say let the AL keep their talentless fielders and let the real baseball players play in the National.
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
The DH is an abomination that breaks Rule 1 of baseball, that it is a 9-on-9 game. It turns the teams in to wind-up automatons that require little to no strategic management, and caters to those who think baseball isn't exciting enough. It dumbs down and coarsens the game into an offense-first model that caters to those who cannot conceive of a pitcher's battle being an exciting event.

In addition, we lose the surprise factor of the good-hitting pitcher, the spectacle of a Bartolo Colon going yard against all logic. It's toxic and cynical and I would have none of it.

Previous Page | Show All |