Baseball Forum

Forum >> Baseball >> Hall of Fame 2017   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Hall & Votes: Who'll be on list tonight?

Who do you think deserves to back it?

I'm pulling for Tim Raines....largely because he was on my old Strat-o-Matic team while playing. I think he is borderline...but it's his final year.

Jeff Bagwell...probably.

Ivan Rodriquez...definitely!

Vlad Guerrero...probably, although I'm not sure he'll get in this year. It's his first year eligible.

Trevor Hoffman...watched him a lot in SD. Honestly, I never thought I was watching a Hall of Famer. Very good closer...but not really Cooperstown material.

Edgar Martinez...DH career will hurt his chances. Probably should...

Mike Mussina & Curt Schilling...not quite good enough in my book.

Juicers...I'm still not ready to put the PED users in yet.

Pete Rose (not on the ballot)...not yet for me.

What do you guys think?

Steve

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure if your "probably should" comment for Edgar meant he probably should make the Hall or being a DH probably should keep him off. Edgar was a stud. I never really understand the argument that being a DH should hurt someone. He didn't create the role. And if you're HOF material, it's not like a team wouldn't find a spot for you, likely first. How many players are in the Hall because of their defense at first?

I'm in the Seattle area now and have been for eight years. That has caused me to look at his career closer throughout the years. Has there been a better right handed hitter the last 20 years? I know that's kind of a bizarre argument for him, but I think it's valid. Even if he hit from the other side I think his numbers are good enough on their own. Look him up and see what he did. Amazing. I hope he makes it.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Has there been a better right handed hitter the last 20 years?

Frank Thomas??

I don't think the DH is a disqualifier, I just think a career DH should probably have to do a bit more than if he played the field regularly. Just like a Short Stop, the offensive production bar is probably lower. Also, I think allows players to have a longer career, so their career numbers are better.

The one problem I have with Martinez, who must get in on his offensive merit alone, is that he rarely was in the MVP discussion. Seems like slugger HoFers usually have a string of years where they're in the top 5 of the MVP voting. I think Edgar only cranked the top 5 once.

Steve

admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Looks like it's Bagwell, Raines and Rodriquez. Blah...Bud Selig, really?

2017 MLB Hall of Fame Results: Full List of Inductees, Comments and Reaction

Steve
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not a believer in a DH getting into the hall. Part time players shouldn't get into the hall imo. Baseball to me is the holy grail of sports hof, and should be very hard to get in.

Mike I didn't start following baseball until Edgar Martinez was halfway through his career. But that man to me was and still is criminally underrated. I hate that guys like David Ortiz I feel will be a first ballot HOF and Edgar might be left our when Edgar was the better player. Ugh

Previous Page | Show All |