Baseball Forum

Forum >> Baseball >> Brewers Pitching Tactics   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Brewers' Wade Miley gambit fails as Dodgers win Game 5

What did everyone think of the Brewers tactics against the Dodgers in game 5.

They "started" Wiley a left-hander. The Dodgers set their line-up accordingly. Then after the first batter, the brought in a right hander who then pitches the next 5 innings.

I guess Wiley is scheduled to start game 6 now too.

I think the success of the Brewers and other teams will really put the focus on Bullpenning a start.

Steve
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
The best steve. Your game rocks good for this game also. I,am gonna try it this season 2038 Go Redsox!
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Not unless Steve changes the engine, heh. Currently, starters have a minimum hook of 5 and a minimum pitch count of 75, even if you try setting them lower. Broken Bat isn’t set up for an opening pitcher option.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In MLB, my guess is that psychology plays a role.

How do starters cope with only pitching to one batter then being pulled? Does the pitcher who takes over feel more pressure? Could it Psychologically motivate the other team to overcome such a gimmick? As the Dodgers did. And managers who face teams who use this tactic may create neutral hitting lineups that alternate between right and left handed hitters / switch hitters.

If the Brewers make it to the World Series, it will be interesting to see how Alex Cora prepares for this.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Steve - Any changes coming in regard to pitch count & hook for starters?

This is exactly what Broken Bat legend Brett Cohen has been sticking around for! The role of opener could be an exciting 2nd chapter in his illustrious career. Imagine the record holder for most ever innings pitched in a season (482) coming back a couple decades later to open every game!

Updated Saturday, October 20 2018 @ 7:43:47 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Steve - Any changes coming in regard to pitch count & hook for starters?

I hope not. The minimums are already very low. Teams might scheme like the Brewers in the playoffs, but the long marathon season is another thing entirely.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I liked the Brewers' out-of-the-box strategy, shaking things up can sometimes work wonders.

OTOH, as a Dodgers fan I'm very pleased it didn't work! :D

Previous Page | Show All |