Baseball Forum

Forum >> Baseball >> 2018-19 Offseason   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
95th Cub

Racine Bombers
VI.18

Broken Bat Baseball
While everybody waits to see where Harper goes, the Cards went and got Goldschmidt from Arizona. Makes a lot of sense for the Cards, admittedly...not so much for the D-Backs. Gotta wonder why AZ didn't simply hold onto him until July rolls around.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The Jays tried that with Donaldson last season. Turned out pretty terrible.

Even if you avoid injury or a down season, there's no guarantee of a market. So many teams tank from the outset. It's a buyers market at the deadline, aside from premium relievers.

I wonder if the wild card needs to be expanded to encourage more teams to make a passing effort at winning.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I'm hearing Bryce Harper and Manny Machado are just waiting until after the Super Bowl to sign (as all media is focus on Rams & Pats in Atlanta).

So where are they going to go?

Harper -- Phillies?
Machado -- White Soxes?

Steve
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll bite:

Harper - Nats
Machado - Yankees

I'll say Harper signs on Monday, Feb 11th. The week pitchers and catchers report. Nats will go 10/350. Great lead-up to ST for MLBTV/ESPN.

Machado will sign Friday/Saturday before the Yanks first ST game vs Boston. 8/250 with voidable years like in Stanton's Miami contract, so really 5/150. Allows him one more deal in his early 30s.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh gosh, I hope not. I don't want anything to do with either of them, to be honest.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, I was off. So what now?

Is it teams not wanting to spend because there's no reason to? Teams don't need butts in seats anymore.

How much does the pissing contest between Boras and Machado's agent come into play here? Each wants the other to go first so he can make the bigger deal.

What's the next milestone? Surely these guys will sign before the season. Right?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
One domino falls ...

As a Blue Jays fan I feel all the logic behind the Padres getting Machado also applies to the Blue Jays and Harper. Padres aren't currently in contention, but have highly rated imminently arriving. Machado is young enough to raise the floor and compliment the homegrown core.

AFAIK the Jays have no interest in Harper; just a hypothetical. Harper would appear to compliment Vlady very well. Should still be in his prime when the Jays next try to contend.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Padres just signed Manny Machado for 10 years & $300M. It's like Xmas came early here in San Diego.

Wonder were Harper ends up? Philly? Back to the Nats?

Are the Dodgers really not going to spend big this off-season?

Steve
JoeDaddyeous91

Kahului Turtles
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It's incredible that all of these names are still available.
Keuchel, Jose Iglesias, Gio Gonzalez, Clay Buchholz, Kimbrel and of course Harper.
I'm under the belief you can never have enough SPs, and to see those three names out there still is pretty incredible to me.

Bryce has to be going to the Philadelphia at this point.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
A lot of people in SoCal think the Dodgers are still in it. I think Scott Boras wants more money than anyone is offering -- who will pony up more dough?

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |