Off-Topic Forum

Forum >> Off Topic >> The Universal Baseball Association, Inc.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It's very of the time (1968), but the baseball "games" in it are very tense and well described and have a mythic quality to them that makes the book a worthwhile read.

Steve, Strat-O-Matic would have been out when this book was written wouldn't it? If not and this guy just made this game up before there was a dice game, that would be pretty amazing.

EDIT: Garnash1970, this book is very much about that sort of dedication to the game the accountant invented. So much so, that it starts to bleed into his real life as the novel goes on.

Updated Friday, February 5 2016 @ 2:42:36 pm PST
95th Cub

Racine Bombers
VI.18

Broken Bat Baseball
Never had my hands on it, though I have heard of it. I know of two dice games based on Waugh's game, even.
Garnash1970

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Haselrig

I'm gonna have to read it. My parents never understood. I had all these dice because I wanted to play D&D in the worst way, but my friends were never invited along so I made up my own game using d20 and d100.

Can you imagine how happy I've been since finding this game a year and a half ago?

There was no internet or cell phone way back then. Ahhh, progress!

Updated Friday, February 5 2016 @ 6:03:15 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Strat-O was the best. If I had to guess I'd say I devoted 5000 hours of my childhood to Matic. I loved listening to my Royals on the radio (who wouldn't with Denny Matthews and Fred White on the call!) while rolling away to my own Legends game. You calculated the odds for each player and pitcher, right? Poor Duke Snider literally had teeth marks in his card due to his constant failure in big situations. I swear there was a hidden choke factor instituted in the dice against him, although I could never quite figure out how.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel young, I similarly devoted 5000 hours of my childhood to a game... but it was Civilization II. I have heard of Strat-O-Matic, but I think it peaked before my time.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sid rules. My guess is if I was your age, Newtman, I would say the same thing. Civ is incredible. I may be a bit older, but I thoroughly enjoyed those even if I probably only spent a couple hundred hours playing them. When I was in the mood for more of a video game feel, I played his Pirates! That game's a blast, too.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm in Newtman's boat. Just a bit young for any of the dice games before D&D. Civ II was the one I played, but Koei games (Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, P.T.O. II, Oda Nobunaga) were the ones I would rent and play for 24 hours straight when I was a teenager. Loved those games and have a SNES emulator on my laptop to give them a spin now and again.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As a kid who wasn't allowed to play D&D or any dice rolling games [no Monolopy, Sorry, etc.] I played so many hours Civ, Sims, RotTK along with RPGs that it is mind blowing.

I never read this book [or heard about it] but once I'm done with my current book [The Girl With All the Gifts] I'm going to read it.

I didn't really get into fantasy world sports until Madden Franchise Mode but it has spiraled so far out of control that I keep databases in Excel of stats and attributes for this cool online baseball game that you probably never heard of. :D
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Funny, I read The Girl With All the Gifts a few months back. Interesting take on the zombie genre. Really liked it. My all-time favorite zombie novel has to be Pariah by Bob Fingerman. Completely different than the usual gut muncher.

Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I liked Pariah its on the list of my favorite Zombie novels. I still favor World War Z over anything else I read just because of how differently it approached it. [Note: the movie did it NO JUSTICE!!!]

I started reading it over Winter Break but work and uni are killing my efforts... so far I've enjoyed it and no one's spoiled too much of it for me.

Previous Page | Show All |