FAQ

Forum >> FAQ >> Gunning down the hitter   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve, this seems to be a topic of some debate. Steve, can you clarify if the hitter being thrown out at 1st is effected at all by the Arm Strength of the fielder who makes the throw?

If not, then why would Arm Strength be important for 3B?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Arm strength is important to some infielders.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, it is listed as important for 3B and SS. My confusion is that I assumed this was due to needing to make the throw to 1B in time to get the runner. That seems to be contrary to popular opinion however... It has been put forth by more than one veteran that arm strength is only used to calculate DPs for infielders.
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My 7 arm 2B has participated in 51 DPs so far with 15 arm SS
Of course not knowing if he started or turned them
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It is a factor in more than just double plays.

At this time, the simulation isn't as deep as some people presume...defense isn't broken down into positioning, fielding the ball, throwing it to 1st base and what skills each maneuver requires. It's more of an aggregated value.

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok, so the aggregate is not just range, it is defense. That makes sense. We already knew hit/out/error/another outcome was determined before which fielder made the play was, so it would make sense that range is not the only defensive stat that is aggregated. It also would make sense that arm and fielding are likely weighted by position along the same lines as range.

Updated Monday, May 30 2016 @ 7:57:27 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So just as the aggregate range effect how many balls get through for hits, I'm guessing the aggregate arm is affecting how often guys get thrown out at 1B? Or from the OF for an OA? I'm still not sure how errors work, because that is assigned to individual players.

Its good to know its not just a factor for DPs. That had me concerned.

I suppose I am getting less DPs in the infield because my RF doesn't have a good arm...

Updated Monday, May 30 2016 @ 8:18:22 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

hit/out/error/another outcome was determined

Wait... Is this true? If that's the case I assume the error is then assigned with weighting towards players with bad fielding? Otherwise good fielders would be recording as many errors as bad fielders. I hadn't assumed that errors were done as an aggregate. So I guess we didn't all know ;)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Perhaps I'm wrong in putting errors in with hits and outs, that may be a major mistake on my end. I was very tired yesterday.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
This might explain why I recently had runners thrown out at the plate on consecutive grounders to 2nd base with the bases loaded.

Runners: 18 Speed, 12 Speed.

2nd base Arm: 6

1st base Arm: 15
3rd base Arm: 18
Shortstop Arm: 16

The 3B is actually Edgar Renteria, so maybe I should just have sucked it up. :)

(edit:) And, to be fair, the 2B Rafael Chase does live up to his name - 15 Speed, 19 Fielding, 18 Range will help you make a lot of plays.

Updated Tuesday, May 31 2016 @ 7:09:10 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |