DodgerBlue42

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you all so much for the help!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I meant to post some advice over the last week but didn't get around to it. No matter, you've done a real nice job of overhauling that team!

Some further suggestions - always look for hitters with positive hitting reports (hitting, slugging), and always look for pitchers with positive pitching reports (fastball, slider/curveball). Hitters who can't hit ("never be a decent hitter") and pitchers who can't pitch (no positive report, negative control report) have no place on my team.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd argue that pitchers don't always need a positive pitching report, there are a lot of good change up type pitchers around who don't get claimed. Figueroa is a prime example
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm interested why you feel Figueroa is an example of a good pitcher? His career ERA is 5.04. He is still very young and it will be interesting to see how his career goes and how he pitches at higher levels. I'm just not sure he can be called a good pitcher at this time. Maybe I'm off base because I'm only at LLV but I think my entire staff has a lower ERA than this.
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Figueroa's career numbers are inflated by his first season in the majors, during which he wasn't close to the pitcher he is now. The first season or two after promoting a pitcher is usually a bit rough, hence why they get throw in as LR/MR on teams that are trying to win. He's definitely not an ace, but he's a solid back-end starter. He pitches nice, long starts, really good GB/FB ratio, not a lot of home runs. The BAA is higher than ideal but with that number of ground balls he can work his way out of jams. His K/BB is predictably low for a CoS pitcher, although his walks are a touch higher than ideal I suppose. I think the main point here is that build (i.e. points in pitching vs defense) and control are probably the most important for a pitcher, although the rest of the report is nice as well.

For comparison here's my version of Figueroa: DiMaggio. Has a better BAA (although that's likely due to the type of batters he faces at lower leagues), barely walks or K's anyone. Slightly worse GB/FB and gives up more home runs than ideal. Overall he's not bad, and often gives me 7 quality innings each start (and my bullpen is good enough to usually keep it that way).
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd argue that pitchers don't always need a positive pitching report, there are a lot of good change up type pitchers around who don't get claimed. Figueroa is a prime example.

You would argue, you're a division rival! ;)

Seriously, I haven't seen a build like that before. Figueroa could reach his ceiling and be a very useful regular, but he might cap quite soon - still likely to be a productive guy for years to come.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Carcharoth is on the money - Figueroa has only had 2 poor starts this year, right at the start, - I would say next season that he's likely to be a mid 3 ERA guy who will eat a lot of innings and save my bull pen - he's gaining SI in every training update, I expect him to be a 20 CoS guy - certainly not a stud, but as a No 3/4 starter, and given his age he's just an example of what can be found in FA as a productive piece, and easier to pick up than some of the guys around who have 50+ claims on him.

I envisage if I let him go now that he'd garner more than 50 claims. There's 12 pots in FA who could be a similar build, http://brokenbat.org/player/126082

Admittedly, having just looked through some of the other options available in the 16-19 year old range, there are some amazing looking 12 pots around who would probably be better options.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
After a guy has a couple years of minors experience you can look at his development graph to figure out his trajectory. I normally try to get a pitcher with two good tools and good control. By tool I mean velocity, CoS, or movement. If a guy has no rating, then he likely only has good CoS. If a guy has a good velocity rating, but doesn't project in CoS, then he still only has one tool. CoS is too often overlooked because you don't get that early look from a scouting report.

When you are first starting out its fine to have some guys who just excel really well in one tool. A guy with no report could have really good CoS and really good Control. In fact, for a POT 13, its almost guaranteed since there is not much else the SI could be going to. Maybe not an all-star, but could be a good piece for a team.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Figueroa also has pretty good movement for a guy with no rating. Combine that with the potential for a 3 point swing due to mis-scouting, and he might actually have 2 tools.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Hitters who can't hit ("never be a decent hitter")

^---- This however I agree should almost definitely be an insta-cut. Occasionally someone will grab one of these guys as a defensive stop gap if they have brilliant defensive builds for SS, but really a guy who can't hit isn't a long term solution.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page