Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2027 Draft #5   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I got LedBetter.

He's only the second 14-POT in my farm system, but I don't know what do do with him. He's a lefty with 'Amazing Fielding' and terrible range.

His 'Amazing' fielding report is wasted at 1B or DH or even OF, and he doesn't have the range to be an OF. I'm debating training him at 3B and eating the LH penalty and treat him like he's merely an 'Outstanding' fielder rather than an 'Amazing' fielder.

On the offense side, he profiles well well. Looking at his POT cap (say 120SI at 14POT), removing his current SI (74) and his maximum projected hitting, fielding and power based on his scouting reports and we still have 22 SI left over to go into his bat control and plate discipline.

Thoughts on how I should use him?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
By far my best draft pick this season, but still will be cut next Friday to make room for someone else. Now looks like I won't keep anyone from the entire 2027 draft class. I had 6 pitchers all with negative control messages, and 3 of my 4 choices for position players had "will never be a decent hitter". The fourth hitter choice was decent slugger and decent speed.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@BrianV
I'd treat this guy as a 13 potential to start with, because of terrible defensive build. Left handed with amazing fielding (will gain around 10 points there which are wasted) and no range or arm. I would have only one position for this guy, and it would be DH. The question I always ask myself with a DH is, can't I find a guy that hits better? He has no hitting report, decent slugger with no hitting loses some value. A lot of his points will go into BC, PD and fielding.

Putting him in 3B seems like a desperation call to find this guy a position. I think that LF would be better if you have a better DH. But maybe you can make it work, I won't discourage you from trying :)

I would be super sad though if I drafted a 14 pot with this build. The game teased you with a candy and then took it away :/
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@BrianV, disagree with Endrju here. I think you'd be fine putting him at 1B or even 3B with this guy. You have to work with the personnel that you get, and his amazing fielding should make up for the left handed penalty.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Newt,

right, 1B will work just fine, what was I thinking?! You can disregard most of my previous post :)
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
got a 12pot pitcher who's scouting report was "can throw all day" which fits my plans. he will go in the bullpen and can start when needed

Updated Friday, May 13 2016 @ 7:54:17 am PDT
Shyfire

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Got a rather appealing 12 pot pitcher.
He has lacking control and is a 12 "very good" pot. but other than that he doesn't look too bad. I'll keep him around for now.

http://brokenbat.org/player/131440

Updated Friday, May 13 2016 @ 8:23:22 am PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Went Asian because like @Mig2015 I'm needing pitching near the Majors. Like @newtman my two pitchers had negative control messages, and I've cut a few of those guys recently

Also like newtman, I had two batters who "will never be decent hitters"; another two who were below average fielders and yet another who was poor fielding.

Which left an above average slugger with decent speed, a guy with no report at all, and this guy. Great report but pot 11, still serviceable enough at 3B.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@newtmann, @Endrju:

Regarding Ledbetter:

I probably should have mentioned that 1B is not really an option as Alvaredo won't be giving it up for another 4-5 years,

Behind Alvaredo, I have Solomon who should be ready for the show about when Alvaredo is ready to retire.

If I try to fit Ledbetter into my 1B depth chart, he's kind of in an ackward position. If Alvaredo declines early, Ledbetter would be a decent option to keep around. If Alvaredo goes to age 32 before going into decline, I'd rather stay with Solomon.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I need some left-handedness in my minors, otherwise I might consider losing this 12 pot 1B who should be an OF. Instead, I'll keep him for his 1B experience and he's now training in the OF. Not a huge fan of 13 range, but unless I'm smoking something good 16 arm's an RF.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page