Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Training Pops - spring training edition   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
An okayish week, but I'm still really worried about Finley. He's not even close to his SI cap, but he's stuck at 109 for over a season now. He's been brought up when recommended so lack of training is not the case here.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thought I was doing well, until I came in here!

16 SI pops for hitters/fielders
2 POS pops (although one was a vet going back up to 3B)
14 SI pops for pitchers (3 fielding)

Had two pitchers gain +4, one of whom was signed off waivers a week into FA, which was nice. And one of my top pitching prospects gained +2 despite his 35-game injury, while my All-League 3B gained 1pt of BC (taking him to within 1pt of his cap). But I had at least five guys that I really wanted to pop who gained nothing at all, including a 14 POT C who is close to being cut - I have two other contenders for my starting C spot after letting my vet Zuniga go today.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
19 fielders
29 pitchers

Noice
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
8 fielders popped, no positions popped, and 6 pitchers. On major league pitcher popped, and 2 major league fielders.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Benchwarmer - I see the following on your Training page:-

11 SI pops for batters/fielders
12 SI pops for pitchers

?? Some smoke and mirrors from a division rival? ;)
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm also curious to know what other GMs use for Primary/Secondary training? I know some people go for "No Focus", but the one week I did that (mid-2026) I had my lowest number of SI gains ever, and avoided it ever since. I always have a Primary and Secondary for training.

I'm also wondering if there is any correlation between a manager's teaching ability and number of gains/pops? My "Good" teaching manager has managed consistently higher weekly gains for me than my previous "Excellent" teacher did, and looking at teams in this thread there does not appear to be an obvious difference between the two. I'm wondering if there is a crossover between Good and Excellent teaching managers (@Rock), or if until managers really 'pop' the difference is less noticeable?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I always select primary and secondary training and am constantly switching them from skill to skill. I've always imagined that the primary focus earns a bonus of 10% with the secondary gaining half that. While that might sound large, it's actually very small. That's merely a guess and means nothing; it's simply how I envision its effect.

I also assume a manager's teaching ability affects pops in a similar fashion, but with them being one-fifth as large and impacting all improvable skills. I would also say a "good" teacher can be better than an "excellent" one, but that shouldn't normally be the case. Finally, I don't think the popping for managers means anything at all. I think it's simply there for us to see; the managers are what they are no matter what their current numbers show.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I never had the impression it was a bonus. I always assumed it took SI from other attributes and redistributed it to the selected training focus attributes. If that's the case, leaving it set to none would be a valid strategy if you're happy with the builds the majority of your minor leaguers had when drafted.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I understand it like this: it isn't a bonus, it is simply a small amount that would be taken equally from each trainable skill and put to one/two skills in the case of emphasis OR disributed equally amongst all skills in the case of no emphasis.

My theory is that the scouting reports are based on an assumption of no emphasis.

So two possible strategies if you like your recruit's scouting reports and I would assume most people do if they are keeping those recruits.

1. No emphasis because you like them and all is good.
Or
2. Place emphasis on some area(s) not scouted because you don't have information and that area is very important to you or your team.

Both would be valid strategies in my opinion.

Personally I use emphasis, always have. I typically concentrate on unscouted abilities unless I have a known weakness.

That was a great question with no obvious answer available, only opinion, faith and hope. :)

Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel it is a question of semantics whether you call it a bonus or not. Either way, there is a small portion of training that you have discretion over.

MukilteoMike's strategy is interesting. In honesty I doubt there is benefit to doing that. Nor is there likely harm. Not recommended for newer managers.

@Amalric7 - think it's next to impossible to quantify the effect of managers. We've been told it's "small". I would also think the majority of the time an excellent trainer would be slightly better than a good one (just as most of the time a very good hitter is better than a good one). If I were doing some sort of extreme rebuild I would try to have an excellent trainer. The difference between excellent and good is likely so small as to not be a consideration otherwise.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page