Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Minor League Stats   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How much do you consider minor league stats?

I think they're almost meaningless until AAA. Frankly, I can't even fathom what goes on behind the scenes for those games because the results are bizarre. For example, consider two rookie level pitchers. Pitcher A has skills of 8-6-5-5. Pitcher B has 2-2-5-0.

Pitcher A has 7.80 ERA, 5.12 FIP, .342 BAA, 1.948 WHIP. Pitcher B has 3.24 ERA, 3.61 FIP, .259 BAA, 1.44 WHIP.

Huh?! Pitcher A has phenomenal skills for rookie ball and is getting obliterated. Pitcher B has almost no skills and is getting by very well. Are we supposed to learn anything from these?

I used rookie level examples because the skills are hugely different. If there's any level that should be impacted significantly by skills it's rookie ball. In my examples the skills are 24 vs. 9. That should be huge, right? It is, but in the direction that defies logic.

Anyway, as I said above, I really don't even consider minor league stats until AAA regarding success. The only thing I really look at before that is stolen base info for position players. I can't figure out anything by looking at pitchers. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Has anyone noticed something about e.g. splits and gb/fb for both hitters and pitchers?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So players (especially pitchers) that will be good big league players may be a bit overmatched at the lower minor league levels. In general, you can get a sense of what type of player they might be and perhaps quality.

If you're depending on a AAA player being your Short Stop of the future and he's hitting .205 and has tons of errors...maybe you need a backup plan.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep. I look at a lot of the info. Posted in another post.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep. I look at a lot of the info.

Agreed, so do I.
I actually find it all very valuable.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ugh, great info guys. Thanks.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page