Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> This year's draft class: Better, worse, or same?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rome

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Mine has been much better so far, 2 Pot 14's, 2 pot 13's.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
13, 14, 12, 11. I suspect the 11 will be a 12. The disappointing part for me is that the extra info hasn't been worth anything. I've picked exactly who I would have with just the bare bones scouting reports. Extra info is only valuable if you have interesting, even draftees.

My bet is the draft as a whole has been better each round.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm happy that I can have a draft slate of Pitchers only.
I covered every fielding position, now and for the future.
Badly need Pitchers, of any kind and age.
So it's been Xmas for Laredo this season :)
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Even without a full list of P, being able to see potential on P is huge. Position players have enough written scouting to make a good guess at their potential. Pitchers always felt like more of a crap shoot.

Been a good draft for the Dinos. 14 (that could drop), solid 13, 14 (that almost certainly will drop), poised to take an 11 this week that could blip up.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
R1: 16 POT SS, well duh easy choice. A lot of my high pot players haven't reached their lower limits though, so I'm expecting a 15 POT return.

R2: 13 POT 3B/C, could see him slipping given his above average potential but he was the only decent choice.

R3: 11 POT 1B/DH. No room for him and the 3 in PD didn't help. Might be a useful hitter if he made 12 POT but not what I look for, already cut.

R4: 12 POT LH SP. Some upside to him but not a strong prospect in my system, likely cut this week.

Overall I really like the new system, way more information - I had a 'very good' potential, unhittable fastball pitcher this week which would have been my choice under the old system (I have a 14 POT with that report in my minors), but I could see this one was just an 11 POT so passed.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I think in future seasons the new draft will evolve a bit.

1. As prospects play their more natural positions (for defensive skills & throwing hand etc.), they'll fit better into the position buckets.

2. Depending on how people draft young versus more developed players, the mix of players available will change.

3. Because all the current players were all generated in one shot and haven't gone though a draft and development cycle, the system hasn't really reach equilibrium. I expect fewer high potential players to be available in the future.

4. More statistics will be available for older players. For example, a college senior will have six seasons of stats to judge them on.

Steve
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
#3 ratchets up the stakes a bit.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It also makes it sound like this year's draft was more important than others around it, which makes it even more luck based than before, opposite of the intent.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I guess that we are seeing more high potential players for a reason: the fuzzy potential.

Let's assume 10% of the prospects will show an higher Pot, and 10% a lower one.
(% is made up)

There will be more pot13 which moves to pot14, than pot14 going down to pot13.
Because the whole population of pot13 is much bigger.

The same would be true also for the lower potentials: more pot11, pot10, pot9.

So, the reality is (would be) that we have the same Potential distribution as before, but the fuzziness of it expands the extremes and thins the most common groups.

As a matter of fact, in 4 weeks, I've seen not as many pot12 and pot13 as I was used to draft.
Lots of pot11s and lower instead.

We don't care about those, we only remember the pot15 and pot16.... or pot18!!!
But if my theory holds true, there are also more pot11s and 10s.

Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
As for suggestions for future updates:

- escalate Asian players salaries (either by draft round, or by Potential, or by Age. All 3 makes sense)

- Make filter for Preferred Position work _ONLY_ on CAPITAL letter position (there are too many SS2b3b right now which clutter the slate)

- separate the North America pool in two, as it was before, or in 3: College, HS, minor-of-18

If that's not possible, one way to allow team owners to manage their minors properly would be to create one more filter by Age, regardless of origins.
Same as we can draft by Position, we could also wish to draft by Age.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page