Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> variety between the age of prospects when they get called up   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jackiscind

Fort Wayne Bears
VI.13

Broken Bat Baseball
I have noticed since I have been playing that almost all my minor league players are major league ready at the age of 23 and 24. I don't think I have had any prospects major league ready and are under the age of 22. I feel like there should be more variety with the age prospects that are ready to be called up. If you land a player with a 15, 16 or even 17 potential and you have to wait for them to reach a certain age before they are no longer "overmatched at the level of competition" its like watching him rot in the minors. It is tough for me to see these players with a huge upside who can contribute with this say 100 SI at the age of 20, but are limited because playing him now could cost him reaching his full potential down the road. Bryce Harper for example has hit 110+ home runs and he is the average age of when my players are deemed ready to play in the Majors. Despite being called up as a teenager I don't think his potential was effected very much. And yes you get a few players who's careers are destroyed because of early call ups, but it this is not every prospect who may have enough SI to be a starter in the Majors, but according to the game they are not ready.

The other side to this is players like David Freese who don't get called up until later in the career. Some players take longer to develop while others are ready to go almost a year after they were drafted. Also, in every MLB draft there are always huge busts with promising prospects despite their skyrocketing potential who never play an inning in the pros.

So my overall takeaway is that there should be more of a disparity between the ages of players when they are ready to be called up to the Majors. This will make league match ups more exciting and more realistic. Wouldn't it be fun seeing a 20 year old A-Rod type all-star leading your team to a championship?
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with you on this. A lot of players only have 6 or 7 seasons when they are most effective. http://brokenbat.org/player/3211 This guy is the all time leader in numerous offensive categories only because he's been around 27 seasons. After his 11th season, his production started to drop. It would be cool to see prospects being major league ready earlier and have their skills drop not so drastically at 30. Maybe a point until a player is about 36-38 before multiple point drops. In MLB, there have been numerous players who have had 20+ seasons with 12-15 of those seasons being very productive.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Some players are ready that young. They just aren't typical. Just like in real life. I've had several guys recommended to be called up at 21 or 22 years old. I've also had several guys who weren't really ready at 27.

Also, players drop off at different rates. If you get really lucky with a guy, he might not lose a single SI before the age of 34.

Updated Thursday, June 16 2016 @ 8:45:57 am PDT
jackiscind

Fort Wayne Bears
VI.13

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock777
thats the problem here. You have to get lucky to call somebody up who lets say already has a 100 SI and can contribute while not effecting his SI. But this guy is not ready to be called up simply because of his age is the problem. If you have 16 potential type player who's 90-100 SI I shouldn't have to wait till hes 23 to unload him. If he can contribute at 19 why not call him up. My overall point is a player should be ready based on skill/maturity not age.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This game is tilted towards short careers. Considering the 63 different leagues and the nearly 27 seasons, I would think their would be more than four players with 500 or more career HRs.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You can call that 16 SI guy up early. And he will probably become a great player. He just might not reach his max potential because you called him up before he was mature.

When I have had guys given the nod at 21 and 22 years old it was because they had reached full maturity. It has nothing to do with age. That is what I was trying to point out. If you have a 21 year old players in AAA who as "learned all he can at this level." It means that he is mature enough for the majors. There are plenty of guys like that in the game, its just not a common occurrence. Most guys don't end up being ready (read mature enough) until they are 23, 24, or 25 years old.

And some guys aren't really ready when they are 27. The AI will auto-recommend a guy when he is 25. But if he was playing A ball last year, you can be sure he isn't really ready for the majors.

The reality is, what you are asking for is actually built into this game very nicely. Its just not always obvious for newer players who haven't seen a large sample size. For those of us who scour the waivers every day, we've seen the different distributions of player maturity.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Bryce Harper for example has hit 110+ home runs and he is the average age of when my players are deemed ready to play in the Majors. Despite being called up as a teenager I don't think his potential was effected very much.

This is really something that is impossible to tell. Maybe he was mature enough for the early transition. Or maybe he would have been an even greater player with an extra year of seasoning. In real life we could never know a players true potential.

Just like in the game. Let's map it to the game and say that Harper is preforming at the level of a POT 16. Who's to say he wouldn't have been a POT 17. We don't have that magic number in real life, so we disregard wasted potential. You are free to play the game then same way. Bring up the POT 16 early, if he maxes out as a POT 14 he is still a great player.

Updated Thursday, June 16 2016 @ 2:51:19 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
We don't totally disregard wasted potential in real life, it just has to be a much more noticeable difference than in the game where we have the potential number. Players who are drafted #1 overall and have a ton of talent who never make it to the big leagues because they have disciplinary issues could be seen as a potential 15 who ends up only training to a 9 due to all the distractions and time spent dealing with the off the field issues. Alternately, severe injuries produce the same effect.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

This game is tilted towards short careers. Considering the 63 different leagues and the nearly 27 seasons, I would think their would be more than four players with 500 or more career HRs.

This was true until about two seasons ago when players were no longer guaranteed to go into hard decline at age 32. Doyle still hasn't lost any hitting skills at age 33 and looks to be on pace to join the 500 HR club. I'm sure other teams have players Doyle's age or younger who will similarly benefit. Be prepared for the all-time list to grow much more impressive in the coming seasons.

Edit: I forgot Doyle is farther away than I remembered, though that I think is more due to his age 25 call up and terrible plate discipline than anything else. I'd still contend the list will get longer at a faster pace in the coming seasons.

Updated Thursday, June 16 2016 @ 3:19:52 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page