Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Cookie Domain & Expiry   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi Steve,

If you visit 'brokenbat.org', cookies are set with 'brokenbat.org' as the domain.

If you visit 'brokenbat.org', you get cookies with the 'brokenbat.org' domain.

This means that as a user, I have different sessions based on the domain. That is, I can be logged in at 'http://brokenbat.org' and logged out at 'http://brokenbat.org'.

This gets annoying when you follow links in the forum which point to the opposite domain form the one you logged in at, and you are suddenly logged out again.

If you made both domains set the cookie domain as 'brokenbat.org', both addressess (www- and non-www) would share the same session. That is, a login at brokenbat.org would also log you in at brokenbat.org, and vice versa.

Alternatively, a perhaps a better solution may be to redirect the www- version of your site to the non-www version (or vice-versa) in .htaccess (assuming you are running Apache).

Finally, it would be nice if you would add a 'Remember me' option to the login dialogue that would set the cookie expiry somewhere in the far future, like a year ahead. Currently the cookie is set to expire at the end of the session. This leaves me logging in 5-6 times per day. It would be nice to not have to log in every time I open my browser to check BB!
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Mine remembers me, I think that may be browser or device specific (I'm running Firefox on a Windows 10 desktop). Might want to check if you are allowing cookies from brokenbat. The other part is something I hope Steve can do something about someday as it is a problem that has been around as long as I have.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Newtman - the browser will remember the username and password when you load the login page. I'm just suggesting that you shouldn't have to go to the login page at all - you should just be 'logged in' until you choose to log out.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That explains why sometimes links in the forums pop open a window with me logged out.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay...I'll look into this.

Thanks,

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay...I think this might be fixed now.

example:
normal link: Sherman Galli

www link: Sherman Galli

Steve

Updated Tuesday, November 29 2016 @ 11:12:11 pm PST
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Seems to be working, yep. Does for me, at least.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I'm just a little worried that the fix might break something else.

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It is working for me, really nice to see this issue fixed. Thanks!
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Only thing broken for me so far was my browser forgot my password to the site. Had to scramble to find it :)

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page