Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Pinch Hitting   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
As a pinch hitter SS/2B Rudy Gomez has appeared in 5 games at 1B (Skill .6), and sports an .875 FP there since there are going to be games which remain tied after an appearance in the 7+ inning. He has also been put into the OF twice (Skill 0).

So what I am asking for is minimum positional skill of 1 to be brought in as a PH
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well a real pinch hitter doesn't usually stay in the game. In those cases position doesn't matter. I think its more of an issue with the AI making a substitution for a fielder (while at bat). But then there still needs to be a better player available on the bench.

The last thing I would want is to have an absolute powerhouse righty sitting on my bench, and the AI doesn't pinch hit him for a weak hitting lefty in the 8th inning because he can't play the position. Pinch hitting shouldn't really be position driven. But field replacements; yes.

Also, I think we give a lot more consideration to position experience than the AI does in general. I'm not sure the AI (any maybe Steve by extension) thinks that 1B position experience even matters. As opposed to a skill position like SS.

Updated Friday, March 15 2024 @ 2:59:25 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Note: i always check the box "7" if its checked at all.

"Pinch Hitter: Check bench players; evaluating offensive value only..."

So literally any bat thats better than current bat could go in. I see nothing to indicate that that player then gets subbed out for defense afterwards. There is no subsection explaining how replace for defense works. "Late in Game" I assume means 7th but it doesnt specify. The inference being that if so and so is in the game when your defense takes the field in whatever inning it is, they get replaced. Assuming, again, that the player has to have better defensive value. But seems there are a lot of grey areas

Updated Saturday, March 16 2024 @ 3:02:20 am PDT
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/game/5184767
This game happened tonight for Tyler. A DH pinch hit for the 2B in the 8th inning but stayed in the game to play 2B in the top of the ninth. His error blew the save and game for my shut down closer. I had a 2B on the bench who could have played the field in the 9th and we probably would have won the game.
I love this game for the control it gives us but if DH’s stay in after batting and play defense I only have one choice and that is to turn off all pinch hitting. This hurts my heart.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That is what I way trying to say. Nothing wrong with the DH coming in to pinch hit. But a different player should have gone into the field.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
It had never occurred to me to check “Replace for defense” on my DH’s because I didn’t envision them playing the field by me. So I might need to chalk this defeat up to my fault. I now have replace for defense checked on both DH’s. Lesson learned and I’ll monitor games in the future to see if this prevents this scenario from happening again. So for now I can keep pinch hitting.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It more that I think the AI doesn't really try to fix a defensive mismatch.

As a point of reference, I use pinch hitting a LOT. 90% of the time it work perfectly 100% of the time. Here is a typical Haverhill game.

5 pinch hitters. 4 of them in the correct spot. Only my SS playing in LF is out of position, but I think the AI doesn't even really consider position experience for LF, RF, 1B - given defense isn't so important in those roles. And my SS is plenty skilled to handle RF.

Previous Page | Show All |