Help

Forum >> Help >> to start or sit this spring, that is the question   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This guy seems to have stopped advancing without reaching his max SI. STEVENSON
Do you think it is worth starting him in spring training, or is it a pipe dream that he'll grow anymore and I'd be stealing experience from younger pitchers??
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
i'd start him in spring like 3 games as the starter.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, worth starting him to see if he improves in the next couple of updates. But it is worrying that he appears to have stopped advancing - not unusual, but worrying all the same. He's had plenty of time at all the appropriate minors levels and you appear to have handled him exactly as you should. Maybe he just won't turn out and I'd prepare yourself for cutting him, but maybe some of the vets have other thoughts...
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think spring starts will do anything for him. At close to 500 career major league innings, he is at a point on the curve that the spring training innings would at best give one or two skill points that could just as easily be gotten in the regular season. I would use minor league guys in his stead since they would glean a much larger and more definite benefit from the innings. If you don't have enough minor leaguers plus major leaguers with less than 200 innings to completely fill your spring training pitching roster then you can add him to it in a role that fills out the roster, but I wouldn't waste those prime starting innings on him personally.

Edit: As an additional point on him, his 16 stamina is on the high end of his only scouting message, while his CoS and control are both solid as well. He looks pretty respectable as a pitcher to me. I'd expect his career numbers to vary between 2026 and 2027, averaging around 2028's numbers like they are now. I don't think 2027 is going to be his best season by the end, but I wouldn't expect more than one or two seasons to top it either. Just my two cents based on my experience with pitchers of that sort of build (see Cardona or Hubbard or Williamson).

Updated Friday, September 23 2016 @ 11:38:00 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I always play those guys. In the first week of spring training anyway.

Newtman is right that it is probably a fool's errand. I have no evidence that it is effective. Mostly hope that somehow spring training XP somehow counts differently than normal XP.

I always have innings that need to be eaten in spring training. May as well spend them on a dream. If I had prospects clambering for innings it would be tougher to do this.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had a lot of guys like that. Byrd being the most recent disappointment. I think it would be a waste of innings that could be more useful to another player. So I suggest not starting him. Note that I am playing Byrd; do as I say, not as I do ;)

EDIT: BTW, I've noticed the guys who fail to reach potential are usually the guys that I say "Really?", when they are recommended to the majors. I think I am going to stop following to the AI recommendations so strictly.

Updated Friday, September 23 2016 @ 4:25:22 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I may be in a unique position the last three seasons since I have had Amador, Quintinilla, Rosa, Sawyer, and several other prospects that I wanted to give those starts to. With Amador done growing, and Sawyer probably in his last season of spring training, I may be in the same boat of following the pipe dream next season, as this season I had a lot of trouble trying to fill out the bullpen.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the thoughts guys.
I gave him a start then bumped him for my 23yr A ball 16pot who wasn't getting many innings as MR1 and I want to guarantee he gets as many innings as possible. (back fired in his first start though as he got pulled in the first inning)
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
BTW, I've noticed the guys who fail to reach potential are usually the guys that I say "Really?", when they are recommended to the majors. I think I am going to stop following to the AI recommendations so strictly.

Have you had many that get recommendations miss?

I can't recall any of my recommended players ever missing by more than 1SI, which I attributed to rounding.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well Byrd is off by 5 SI right now. At 28 he might still improve, but he hasn't moved a point over the last three seasons.

Nishimura was another guy recommended at 24 who never reached is potential. I've had a couple other guys like that, but they usually get cut and I don't remember their names...

Updated Tuesday, September 27 2016 @ 5:27:35 pm PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I can't point you to the thread but I recall Steve saying the promotion guidelines are there for newer players and as a player gets a better handle on things they may go with their own discretion.
That said, I follow recommendations for the most part.
I guess if you see a guy promoting slowly, say more than 2 seasons at a level, it would be a situation where I might try moving them up a level earlier, so they get AAA experience prior to/by age 25.
For the most part I really don't want 25-26 year old minor leaguers. If they can't contribute by 26, I would prefer to cut my losses. Although I understand why owners would do that. I think it also can depend on where you sit. I would be more likely to try that in lower leagues.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It also depends on your luck in the draft and waivers, and what your manager's player development rating is. I'm doing all these experiments in LL II, because I had a severe shortage of top end talent getting ready for the majors on time. It's all well and good about wanting 10 seasons out of a guy, but sometimes you have to take what you can get depending on the situation.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Well Byrd is off by 5 SI right now. At 28 he might still improve, but he hasn't moved a point over the last three seasons.

Interesting.
Daniel2

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock I remember releasing a guy named Gary Byrd
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Would be a different guy. This Byrd was drafted by me.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
*can't resist*
So he didn't give you the Byrd?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I thought spoonfuls of honey were supposed to be sweet :p
newtman

Inactive