Help

Forum >> Help >> who to discard   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ajanirr

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
this was my first full season in broken bat and my team flopped. I want to get rid of a lot of players on the team but I don't know how to choose who stays and who goes.
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
There is a lot of enviable youth and power there. In the over-thirty club, Cook and Kurtz are the most obvious cuts, and Monti is never going to hit. Think youth and potential.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Here are my thoughts, take from it what you will but don't go making wholesale changes!

1B: Brett is all power and nothing else, which I personally don't like - I like hitters who can hit first, get on-base second, and hit for power third.

2B: Cook has done really well but with just 10 Range there will be plays getting past him that aren't in his fielding stats. 15+ is the ideal number for Range at 2B. Plus he's making $2.8M which is a lot for LLVI. Both Cook and Sakaguchi are old and probably better suited at 1B, even without position eligibility, if you decide to keep them.

3B: Wood is old and Monti can't hit (enough). Woods on the other hand is an ideal 3B, good Fielding and Arm and no Range for OF or SS.

SS: Contreras has done a good job but you ideally want a 15+ Arm here, although a good SS is obviously hard to find. Sugiyama isn't a SS, and is probably only a bench bat even at this level. Dennis makes sense here if you don't mind a black hole in your batting lineup.

OF: Black is best put here, RF or even CF (if you play Lee in RF). I'd probably play Brown at 1B, no range for OF or arm for 3B. Hopkins is a cut for me, too old.

P: Kurtz is old but might still do a job for you this season, as I don't like many of your other old pitchers - Conte, Kobayashi and Cole are all cuts for me. Endou too, because $3.25M is too much at your level for a 30-yo pitcher with control issues. Pierce and Murry aren't good: Pierce has too many points in Fielding and looks to have capped, and Murry's lack of Movement makes him way too homer prone.

Minors: Church won't be much good and I'm far from sold on Correa; Kim can't hit and a glove-only 1B (which is what he is) is no use to anyone; Pfeiffer can't hit so is a glove-only defensive replacement; Johannessen is terrible; Lu can't hit; Cottrell has too many points in Speed, Range and Arm to make him enough of a hitting prospect; Zhao can't hit; Pedersen will be a strikeout machine with inconsistent average and power; Whalen is a power-free future 1B and Santos can't do much of anything; Trevino is a cut all day long; and I guess Boyce will make an okay OF.

Good prospects in your minors: Lake will make a good 3B; so will Turk and he's the better fielder, so you may want to move one of them somewhere else; Pinto is a solid defensive 2B (I like more bat); Bird is a nice pitcher.

I tend not to like any player who is less than 12 potential minimum, unless they have extreme builds. I like pitchers with an out pitch in their scouting report (major league fastball and/or breaking ball) and no control issues. Hitters must have good or better (preferably better) hitting unless they're high potential players with high skills elsewhere and/or good defense (see Miranda and Jacobs, although he can't hit yet).

But you don't build contenders overnight, you pick up bits and pieces (and draft picks) as you go and put it all together. Sometimes patience is key.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have to make a call on which guy goes. They are pretty similar, but this might be a good example of learning how to read into subtleties.

Vera

or

Coyle

I don't think there is much need to give context because they are so similar in age, position and traits. Tell which one you think I should drop & why.

Updated Thursday, December 27 2018 @ 2:08:13 pm PST
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Vera is a bit of an HR machine but has potential to be a high upside reliever. Coyle is probably an SP4 at best but he has a high floor based on his mil stats.

Landers looks worse than both of them, upside of an LR, and he gives up more HR's than Vera is likely to. I'd let Landers find a new home.

I'm envious of the quantity of quality pitchers you have!

Previous Page | Show Page |