Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Help create new game dialog!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
One of the projects I thought everyone might enjoy participating in was creating an alternative game narrative…one with perhaps a little more colorful language. The currently game dialog is kind of the Joe Friday version, “Just the facts, ma'am”. But we could have one or more additional dialog selections for the game action (and/or the game summary too) that might include more color or just more variation…perhaps the Bob Uecker version?

We can’t really change the basic action elements, but we can re-write them or have multiple version of the wording for any and all actions. For example:

“Tommy Jones hits a home run to left field.”

Could also be something like:

“Tommy Jones hits a home run towering home run to left field.”

“Tommy Jones clears the fences in left field for a home run!”

“Tommy Jones cranks one into the second deck for a home run!”

Etc.

Steve

Updated Monday, September 7 2015 @ 9:36:28 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The current game action dialog looks something like this...so we could re-write any or all of them:

Game Action Text Lines

$text = $name1 . " steals " . $base . " base.";
$text = $name1 . " is caught stealing " . $base . " base by " . $name2 . ".";
$text = " The catcher " . $name2 . " overthrows second base and " . $name1 . " advances to third base.";
$text = $name . ($code == 'dss' ? " completes a double steal by taking second base." : " takes second base on the throw to third base.");
$text = $name1 . " throws a wild pitch.";
$text = $name1 . " allows a passed ball.";
$text = $name1 . " draws a walk.";
$text = $name1 . " is intentionally walked.";
$text = $name1 . " is hit by the pitch.";
$text = $name1 . " hits a " . $hit_type . " to " . $position . $add_hit_and_run . ".";
$text = $name1 . " hits a ground ball " . $hit_type . " to " . $position . $add_hit_and_run . ".";
$text = $name1 . " hits a ground ball " . $hit_type . " through to " . $position . $add_hit_and_run . ".";
$text = $name1 . " hits a home run to " . $position . ".";
$text = $name1 . " reaches on an error by " . $position . " " . $name2 . ".";
$text = $name1 . " grounds to " . $position . $add_hit_and_run . ".";
$text = " " . $name1 . " is thrown out at " . $base . " by the " . $position . " " . $name2 . ".";
$text = " " . $name1 . " is thrown out at " . $base . " by " . $name2 . ".";
$text = " " . $name1 . " is forced out at " . $base . " by " . $name2 . ".";
$text = " " . $name1 . " is thrown out at first by " . $position . " " . $name2 . " for a double play.";
$text = " " . $name . " reaches first on a fielder's choice.";
$text = $name1 . " " . $out_type. " out to " . $position . ".";
$text = $name1 . " strikes out" . $add_hit_and_run . ".";
$text = " " . $name . " holds at " . $base . " base.";
$text = " " . $name . " advances to " . $base . " base.";
$text = " " . $name . " comes in to score.";
$text = $name1 . " bunts to " . $position . ". ";
$text = $text . " " . $name1 . " is thrown out at first by " . $name2 . ".";
$text = $name1 . " tries to bunt to " . $position . ".";
$text = $name1 . " tries to bunt, but pops out to " . $position . ".";
$text = $name1 . " tries to bunt, but strikes out.";
$text = $name1 . " bunts for a single to " . $position . ".";
$text = "The infield draws in and outfield is playing shallow. ";
$text = "The infield draws in. ";
$text = "The outfield is playing shallow. ";
$text = "The defense is guarding the lines. ";
$text = $name . " takes the mound to pitch. ";
$text = $name1 . " comes in to pitch. ";
$text = $name1 . " comes in to pinch hit for " . $name2 . ". ";
$text = $name1 . " comes in to pinch run for " . $name2 . ". ";
$text = $name1 . " comes in to replace " . $name2 . " " . (($segments [3] <= 6) ? "at" : "in") . " " . $position . ". ";
$text = $name1 . " comes in to play defense " . (($segments [3] <= 6) ? "at" : "in") . " " . $position . ". ";

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Let's not just start throwing out suggestions all at once for all lines though. I think we might want to focus on a few more critical lines and then go from there.

Wondering if we should start with the hits and home run lines??

Steve
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

One of the projects I thought everyone might enjoy participating in was creating an alternative game narrative…one with perhaps a little more colorful language.

I can't wait for it!!!

I'm sorry I cannot help that much, as being in Italy I don't get no exposure to Us baseball commentary... :(

However, I like to add an excerpt from a cricket online game (From the Pavillon) I joined when I was in India last winter.

It looks to me like the ultimate text game!
(Don't ask for translation, I don't get it either!)

C. Behrendorff (lfm) 5-1-21-3, A. Alexander 32 (37b), D. Dakhara 18 (40b)

End of over 18 (7 runs) - Berries(88-3). 172 runs required from 22 overs. RR 4.89 RRR 7.82

17.6 1 Behrendorff to Alexander : Moved forward confidently to drive the ball into the covers.
17.5 . Behrendorff to Alexander : Dot ball. Great delivery from Behrendorff who follows through and picks up the ball and immediately throws it back towards Balderstone but it hits Alexander on the helmet! Words are exchanged, Alexander is furious! Spicy stuff!
17.4 . Behrendorff to Alexander : The slow hand clap emanating from the outer lets Alexander know what the crowd think of his cautious approach as he lets the ball go through to Balderstone.
That is the 50 partnership (53 runs, 67b, 3x4, 1x6) SR:79.10
17.3 4 Behrendorff to Alexander : Too full and effortlessly driven back past him to the boundary.
17.2 1 Behrendorff to Dakhara : Played along the ground just wide of Dart at mid-on. Dakhara calls his partner through for a quick single. Good running!
17.1 1 Behrendorff to Alexander : Fast, full ball from Behrendorff swinging from middle and leg to outside off-stump. Alexander digs it into the legside. Dart is too deep and the batsmen run hard for a single
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If it's not too much hassle and you can control the scarcity of certain events, how about:

"Tommy Jones hits an inside-the-park home run!"

And

"Tommy Jones hits a broken-bat home run!"

I think these would need to be seen something like once every 5,000 home runs in rough keeping with how often they occur in MLB; but would be great to know they could happen, especially in critical games.

Cheers!

Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
And a few Caught Stealing could be either Picked off First Base, or Run Down between Second and Third ( or 3rd and Home)
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
There is also the option of having different levels of commentary:

- Basic (current one)
- Advanced (a little more descriptive)
- Ultimate (something like the cricket game I posted)
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well one small change I immediately think of is showing the outfielders' names too.
In the infield outs look like this:
Palacios grounds to short stop. Palacios is thrown out at first by Ueno.
Outfield outs could like this:
Bartlett flies out to center fielder Prieto.

Good idea with throwing the brainstorm for new flavor texts. I would suggest some broken bats here and there (probably less than 1% of contacts). I can also think of more flavor on extra base hits, like below:
Player hits a line drive double/triple in the gap between right and center field.
Player hits a double down the line in left field.
Player hits a double/triple off the wall in right field! That almost went out!

For the last text it would be nice if it was not randomly generated but if the ball would indeed fly out of the park on stadiums that are smaller or have lower walls. Not sure if this is doable though.

Also some ideas for fly outs (in addition to what I wrote earlier):
Bartlett flies out to center fielder Prieto, who makes a running catch.
Bartlett flies out to center fielder Prieto, it was caught on the warning track!
Bartlett flies out to center fielder Prieto, who barely had to move for this one.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I want to make sure I understand this. The extra dialogue would not reflect any true meaning; it's just added color/description. For example, as one suggested above, "the left fielder makes the catch on the warning track." It wouldn't mean the batter actually came close to hitting a home run any more than "the left fielder didn't have to move." Is that right?

If so, please keep an option for simple language like we have now. What may seem interesting at first will soon become just as boring as no color. For me it will be even worse; it will be distracting. For new and future owners, it could be even worse than that; it very well may mislead them into believing the extra description.

Go for it if that's what some want, but please make it an owner option.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, the idea would be that we'd have more variety and colorful language available in either the live game action and/or game summary and each individual could select their preference in the profiles.

Steve
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 to Endrju suggestion. Also, maybe some more color in other plays, such as errors, double plays/near double plays, or steals to spice things up more and help players get into the game.
Examples:

"Hit solid to SS Smith. He boots it! Jones Reaches first on a 1 base error."

"Fielded by SS Tinkers, Fires to Evers at 2nd to get Smith, throws to Chance at first to get Jones. Score it 6-4-3, double play!"

"Fielded by SS Tinkers, Fires to Evers at 2nd to get Smith, throws to Chance at first... Not in time! Jones beats out the throw to avoid the double play"

"And Jimenez is off! Molina throws... He got him! Jimenez is caught stealing second."

"It's a towering shot to left. Back is Jones, at the warning track, it's gone! Home run by Aaron!"

"And it's a long fly ball to Because. Why? I Don't Know. He's on third, and I don't give a darn." (couldn't resist :D)
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Piggybacking on the missed double play one... how about something to the effect of ball hit to SS, fires to 2B... gets the out at 2B... turns to throw to first for the double play, but gets interrupted by a nasty take-out slide.

That's just the concept, not at all the phrasing. I'm no commentator.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If it's just for flavour how about adding some manager reactions for some events too to bring them into the game a bit more?

Couple of examples:

<Player X> reaches 2nd on a fielding error by <Player Y>. <Fielding Team's Manager> is furious.

<Player X> is thrown out at first. <Batting Team's Manager> challenges the umpire's decision, but it stands.

Cheers!

Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What about strikeouts?

$batter checks his swing... the appeal down at 3rd... he went around! Strike three!

$batter takes ball four and starts heading down to first... wait no... the ump says it's a strike! Strike three called!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay...I'm starting to put in the mechanics for this feature. You can now go to your Profile-Update Settings and choose one of two different dialog selections; either Standard or Colorful dialog (these options may change in the future). These can also be different for the game summary versus the live game action.

At present, there isn't much difference between the two dialog selection. The biggest is that the colorful dialog now includes home run distance.

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay...a few people have expressed some interest in helping out on this, so I think we're going to start a new group effort to implement this (all the code is pretty much there, it just a matter of creating the verbiage). Will probably start after the flip though...

Steve
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 As one of the aforementioned people, count me in. ^.^
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Would be happy to help contribute, too! A lot of great ideas so far.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm still around and can think of a ton of flavor text if you need ideas.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I posted my ideas a year ago and I'm still in favor of some flavour ;)

If it goes live I will have plenty more suggestions.
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Also interested, I'd love to help spice up the commentary.
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Color me interested.
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve can you share us what kind of mechanics you have there?

It would good if at least some of the colorful commentary would be things that actually are there or happened.

For example, <player x> - last year ba .309 comes in to pinch hit.

Or <player y> hits home run for 489 yards, thats his 9th homer of the year.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Beat me to it, motko, I was actually planning on asking about that after the flip.

But yeah, having an idea of the framework you have in place would help quite a bit. I’ve already got a text file started up with some stuff, and I’m going to need to know how to format it for you at some point.
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@motko 489 yards? What kinda steroids is he on? Lol
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Anyways, what if the commentator mentions the streak a player is on.

For example, (player A) is hot right now, going 25 for 40 in his last 12 games.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, 489 yard homer would be 1,467 feet, setting the record by quite some margin I believe.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Or if a pitcher is doing well:

The (x)s/(x city) cannot figure out (pitcher) tonight! They've had (x) hits through (x) innings.
(Pitcher) is only (x) outs away from having a/completing the (complete game/shutout/no-hitter/perfect game)
And that's (10/15/20) strikeouts!

Or if a player has a career-high in a statistic:
That's (player)'s (x)th home run/hit/RBI/stolen base this game! A new single-game best!
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Most of what I would suggest I think is on the obvious side.

- have some ground rule doubles.
- adjectives on balls in play (sharp liner, lazy fly ball, slow roller ... Always loved the "Texas leaguer" in Microleague Baseball)
- adjectives on defensive plays (easy grab, diving catch, strong throw)

Maybe have the manager go to the mound before the new pitcher comes in to pitch?

Not sure how possible this is, but something like "There is action in the Waterloo bullpen" as a pitcher approaches his hook or pitch count.

Previous Page | Show Page |