Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Help create new game dialog!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, the idea would be that we'd have more variety and colorful language available in either the live game action and/or game summary and each individual could select their preference in the profiles.

Steve
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 to Endrju suggestion. Also, maybe some more color in other plays, such as errors, double plays/near double plays, or steals to spice things up more and help players get into the game.
Examples:

"Hit solid to SS Smith. He boots it! Jones Reaches first on a 1 base error."

"Fielded by SS Tinkers, Fires to Evers at 2nd to get Smith, throws to Chance at first to get Jones. Score it 6-4-3, double play!"

"Fielded by SS Tinkers, Fires to Evers at 2nd to get Smith, throws to Chance at first... Not in time! Jones beats out the throw to avoid the double play"

"And Jimenez is off! Molina throws... He got him! Jimenez is caught stealing second."

"It's a towering shot to left. Back is Jones, at the warning track, it's gone! Home run by Aaron!"

"And it's a long fly ball to Because. Why? I Don't Know. He's on third, and I don't give a darn." (couldn't resist :D)
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Piggybacking on the missed double play one... how about something to the effect of ball hit to SS, fires to 2B... gets the out at 2B... turns to throw to first for the double play, but gets interrupted by a nasty take-out slide.

That's just the concept, not at all the phrasing. I'm no commentator.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If it's just for flavour how about adding some manager reactions for some events too to bring them into the game a bit more?

Couple of examples:

<Player X> reaches 2nd on a fielding error by <Player Y>. <Fielding Team's Manager> is furious.

<Player X> is thrown out at first. <Batting Team's Manager> challenges the umpire's decision, but it stands.

Cheers!

Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What about strikeouts?

$batter checks his swing... the appeal down at 3rd... he went around! Strike three!

$batter takes ball four and starts heading down to first... wait no... the ump says it's a strike! Strike three called!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay...I'm starting to put in the mechanics for this feature. You can now go to your Profile-Update Settings and choose one of two different dialog selections; either Standard or Colorful dialog (these options may change in the future). These can also be different for the game summary versus the live game action.

At present, there isn't much difference between the two dialog selection. The biggest is that the colorful dialog now includes home run distance.

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay...a few people have expressed some interest in helping out on this, so I think we're going to start a new group effort to implement this (all the code is pretty much there, it just a matter of creating the verbiage). Will probably start after the flip though...

Steve
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 As one of the aforementioned people, count me in. ^.^
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Would be happy to help contribute, too! A lot of great ideas so far.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm still around and can think of a ton of flavor text if you need ideas.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page