Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2037 Round #1   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Chiang Tang is… underwhelming, to say the least. Well, let’s see how he grows…
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My guy looks like a great 2 B.

Can he hit or not hit righties is the question.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Buyer's remorse.. I took a leap back into Asian Posting hoping for a new leadoff hitter and ended up with two pitching options and no hitters.

Sota Katori

To repeat Assumed form above... underwhelming. We'll see if he survives as a LR.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Asian treated me a little better.

Filled one of my biggest needs, a future middle infielder.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's a good thing I'm already green :)

/totally jealous!
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Didn't have a very good overall player on my draft board today.

I got a great hitting, decent speed OF that's a 12 POT. It's a bit disappointing, but I'll keep him and see how he grows.
Martynski

Nome Highlanders
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
A C&R 11 potential pitcher with 'good' potential.

The best option on an appalling 1st round draft board.
ARogs

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Decided to try and grab a big league ready pitcher from the Asian pool but I will take him
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The last time I took a first rounder from Asia it resulted in Rookie of the Year shortstop Kaneda. Decided to go back and landed this guy:

http://brokenbat.org/player/181055

Updated Saturday, July 21 2018 @ 3:40:27 pm PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The combination of "throw all day" and high Range are pretty meh, but the curveball rates over the fastball. Eh, I've done worse in the first round. Cool name, too.

Still looking for the ever-elusive hypeable shortstop prospect.

Updated Saturday, July 21 2018 @ 4:12:51 pm PDT
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok :)

I'm officially not watching this thread anymore!
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
not a single Very Good in my Latin America pool, but landed a 13 POT 17 yo pitcher. Based on this thread, i think i'll pull Asian 1st round next season!
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Whoa. Did everyone click on Maple Grove's pick?! Yowza. Where are you going to play him? Center? First? Or attempt to put the amazing fielding, high range lefty in the middle infield to see what he can do? Just wow.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah that's quite the player. Asian has produced some monster players in the past several hours.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I went Asian as well and came back with some much needed pitching.

Beom Seok Seen

Updated Saturday, July 21 2018 @ 8:57:02 pm PDT
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I went Asian and got burned.

Only two "good" prospects, the former and a pitcher with below ave control. Bad sushi!
ARogs

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@MukilteoMike I'm playing him at right field this season since my franchise 2nd baseman can still play plus I needed a right fielder. I will prob move him to second next season if my 2nd baseman doesnt bold well this season
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's a shame (IMO) that there isn't more parity in drafting. For some teams to be given 11 potential duds as their best option, while others get 15-16 potential franchise players, completely arbitrarily, seems wrong. Even something incredibly simple like doubling the amount of players to choose from would even things up a lot.

Well I did land a very high potential player at least. Who will likely be a bust (which is fine, at least he had potential): http://brokenbat.org/player/181170

Anyway, what would you do with this guy? Hitting is too low to ever be good. All that fielding & range is wasted as a catcher, but his arm isn't elite. Nor is his glove/range quite enough to be an elite defender. Train him a 2B? SS even? 3B? (i've got another no hit high potential guy trained at 3B already though)

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Shikago, don't consider catcher for him at all. As you said, that would be a terrible waste of fielding and range. I'd put him in the middle infield all day long. Once he gets trained there he should be more than adequate. He might never be an elite hitter, but he could be okay in the batter's box. Hope for a good fly ball rate and that he connects enough to nail 20 homers a season. I think that's definitely possible.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I’m with Mike on that one, Shikago. Second or short, and hope he likes putting it in the air.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Always nice when the first player on your board is a very good pot (even if he's the only one), even better when he's a 14 POT flamethrower. Hope his Movement gets up to a decent level.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
My pitching prospects sucked this round. May have been slightly better had I logged on earlier yesterday, if this thread's any indication. fortunately I'm not as much in need of pitching as I am LH hitting. Bright side: he can play OF or C. Thinking of training him as OF.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I couldn't log in last night for some reason, as I kept getting error message after error message. Looks like I missed the party. I desperately needed either a middle infielder or a pitcher, and got exactly what I didn't need because he was the only guy left above "Above Average". A corner infielder without any hitting. Looks like my last chance at not demoting further fell though due to error messages.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Looks like my last chance at not demoting further fell though due to error messages.

I used to have most weekends free and would be one of the first few to pick in round one. I got plenty of bad slates.

I had a power outage back on flip weekend, 2027. Picked three days later than most people and got this guy. Asian is a much smaller pool than High School, but it doesn't usually tap out until a couple of rounds have run. I think you just had some bad luck, Newt.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Cam Willett

Perfect Catcher if he was a righty. I’ll settle for a low Range RF or a wasted arm at 1B someday. The bat should definitely play and it’s always nice to draft a keeper!
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Bridger, why can't he play C? I picked up this guy last season for my rebuild. He's played half of his career at C, with over 40 CS% and only 7 errors, including his first Gold Glove for me in '36.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
7 good prospects, 1 very good prospects, 2 pitching, 6 batting. 0 batters with positive hitting messages. I just took the best sounding pitching prospect, and ended up with this guy.

Updated Sunday, July 22 2018 @ 8:11:47 am PDT
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In quite happy with my 1st rounder. Definitely training him for the hot corner.

http://brokenbat.org/player/181140

Updated Sunday, July 22 2018 @ 8:21:58 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

I think you just had some bad luck, Newt.

Yeah, 6 seasons of bad luck drafting now. Still not on par with Rock, but when you can't fill certain positions with guys who even remotely resemble the build that plays a position well it has the same effect.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I had a drought of about four seasons of below-average drafts. It's really the worst thing that can happen to you in this game. It just drains your interest.

When my drought started getting worrisome, I shifted to an "Asian-then-college" strategy to try to fill that gap in my upper minors. Didn't get many guys to get excited about with that strategy, either. Le might be remembered as a good pick when his time is done, but that remains to be seen. I've had zero luck with college players all the way back to King Kong Kirby who was one of those frustrating prospects to spend a lot of time on for no real payoff. I've been hunting for a good catcher prospect for a decade and have resigned myself to running through a bunch of one-claimers to see if any impress.

All that to say that I think these droughts and set-back are a lot of what makes this game so damned compelling. Other owners have faced similar things and have long since quit. A big part of being long-lasting and successful owners, like you and I have been, is being tenacious enough to get through those set-backs and disappointments. When you do win something, struggling to get there makes it all the sweeter.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
POT 11 garbage per norm for the Halflings.
Kirito_Whale

Waipahu Indians
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Went Asian draft hoping to find another franchise player like my Sota Kinjoh, saw this guy, http://brokenbat.org/player/181272 , and was like hmmmmmm i don't need a 3B but he's my best choice here.... pretty solid 15 POT player and very happy with my pick
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I wouldn’t waste that kind of range at third base, I’d be playing him at short from the first time he put on his uniform.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Found a good-sounding starting pitcher and this even slightly better sounding infielder in the college pool. Unfortunately, at 13p and with this defense, he's pretty much the definition of mediocrity.
http://brokenbat.org/player/181034

Updated Monday, July 23 2018 @ 2:06:44 am PDT
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I got a list of 'Above Average' candidates with a single 'Good' pitcher (with no other scouting comments). Ended up with an 11-POT C&R.

Been a few years now since I had an exciting draft pick. Even my 14-POT from 2035 was kinda 'meh. when drafted... and now doesn't feel like he's developing great.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@DSZ Interesting...

If the lefty penalty is relatively minor, then Willett is an absolute stud of a C for the future.
JoeDaddyeous91

Kahului Turtles
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not sure what to do with this guy...
http://brokenbat.org/player/181266

He can be a strike out pitcher. He can have a major league curveball. He will have the stamina to be a starting pitcher. He has very good overall potential.
14 POT! 5 pitches! 17 years old! Bad fielding stats! All these things make him exciting!

BUT his SI is a 19... He is my nightmare right now.. Poor buddy may never live up to his potential :(

Updated Monday, July 23 2018 @ 7:46:36 am PDT
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Joe Daddy:

I would not worry at all. Pitchers can make up a ton of SI in a hurry in the upper minors and especially in the majors. He should be able to get there.
robinsmd

Loveland Tigers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
Ugh -- none of my options had Very Good potential. Went with a good overall potential pitcher and he comes in at 11 potential. What garbage.
Breestis

Lenexa Titans
VI.10

Broken Bat Baseball
Drafted the best player I've ever gotten, and he gets hurt in his 4th game. I hope it's not a trend.

http://brokenbat.org/player/181423
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@Breestis, he is going to be an incredible player.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
WOW! only the 3rd pot17 ever
Demassa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice pick. And here i was happy about my guy. But he's "only" 15 pot. :)

http://brokenbat.org/player/181424
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow. Those are some picks.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Holy bejeebers,a 17pot!! Nice catch!! If he develops even close to full he’ll play into his 40’s

Previous Page | Show Page |