Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2040 Draft Round 6   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I got an interesting pitcher. I've never had a southpaw with control issues. I'd like to see his results. The problem is he is almost definitely a very low 12. There's a lot of info in his reports that make it pretty easy to see what his top end is. I think he'll be lucky to reach his declared 12 potential.
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
A board of 3 no potentials, 6 above average and 1 good with a wild scouting report leads to another 10 POT.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm intrigued by Gonzales, and by lower control pitchers in general. It's unfortunate his current skills in velocity and movement aren't reversed.

I had a couple of decent scouting reports on my list this week. This one seemed especially promising:

Scouting Report: He can be a very good hitter. He can develop into an above average slugger. He has decent speed. He has good overall potential.

Low rolled the potential. Oh well. Nice to have the roster spot.

PS - had a great training week. Couple OF promoted to AAA. Continue to be thrilled with Chiang's development.

Updated Friday, April 26 2019 @ 6:54:26 am PDT
5L1NK

Farmington Hills Cardinals
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Another C&R

@MukilteoMike, This is probably the best scenario for a southpaw with control issues. Not gonna lie, it's been a somewhat frustrating experiment due to the inconsistency. I think he's peaked so hopefully this is where he starts to gain some stability but as you probably know, control issues are volatile to your pitchers success.

Updated Friday, April 26 2019 @ 7:02:27 am PDT
blackfire83

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
"His fastball can be unhittable. He will have the stamina to be a starting pitcher. He has good overall potential."

and...

"He can be a very good hitter. He can be amazing in the field."

I'm unsure of the lack of comment about potential on the second guy, so I opted for the first guy and got...

http://brokenbat.org/player/199901
"Good potential" turns into 11 POT... Hmm...

Also, which "pool" of draftees do you guys pick from? Does it matter much? I already drafted several 17 year olds, and my farm system is pretty barren in the middle, so I decided to opt for a college player this time. Any reason that was a bad idea?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I jump around. This season's a bit of a dog because of the age issue, but usually I'll target pools that fit the minor league level that is the least populated early and pools I think have had less activity to that point late.

Typical season for me would be HS or Asian to start, shift to Latin at some point after round four. Have yet to draft from International.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
C&R going all Latin this year all 17yo. This seasons drafting with age bug could affect everybody farm system. Then the entire game when all players are ready for Major leagues. Gonna be wild run for rookie of year when you got 5 players all getting call up plus 20-30 in a league all same age going for Rookie trophy.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
This seasons drafting with age bug could affect everybody farm system.

It was a kick in the pants if you went College first week, but I don't see the issue from there.

Was actually a unique opportunity to use the Latin pool without fear of 21 year olds taking up space on your draft board. I regret not hitting that pool all season long.

Updated Friday, April 26 2019 @ 8:07:15 am PDT
iladel90

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think I did ok this round.

http://brokenbat.org/player/199963
blackfire83

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
15 POT? Niiiiice.... Aaaand he needs it because those starting stats are ROUGH. Still, I'd take him over my turd of a pick. Nice pull.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Starting stats are always low for high school players, nothing unusual about those. Its not about where you start, its how you finish. Berry will make an outstanding SS.

Got an interesting 12 POT OF. Should have high Hit and BC and would make a solid LF, just not sure if I can hang on to him.
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Future late inning reliever
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmmm... a 1st baseman that can't hit or a second baseman that doesn't have the range?
Either way he's a 14pot switch hitter that will likely get cut very soon.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Gah. The 0 current hitting skill hurts my eyes.

Drooling over TPS's pick. Would take that in the first round anytime. Awesome acquisition!
Jwrose

Parma Dodgers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
@amalaric a high school player who's stats aren't low to start ID #198343. Yes the fielding stats help,but even if they were average his stats would still be pretty good for a high schooler
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ummm that's wierd.

I am certain Watkins was a 14 pot when I drafted him.
I know I've heard of POT changing (usually up as the player maxes out SI), but has anyone seen it go down shortly after drafting?
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think one of recent draft picks had their potential drop by 2 this season, but maybe I'm wrong.

Updated Monday, April 29 2019 @ 12:06:38 am PDT
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball

I think one of recent draft picks had their potential drop by 2 this season, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think there's been a bit of pot moving around.

Mateo looked like an iffy possible future 1B as a 13 pot, as a 12, he's living out of his duffel bag.
-and then there's Arturo Tafoya -
He sure as heck wasn't a 15 pot when I insta-cut him ... then he made it through waivers unclaimed and thanks to my minor league base-running coach threatening to quit unless I gave him someone in the low minors to work with - we brought him back to see if he would run on command and what would happen if he got to play a few games.

Apparently, he is very receptive to coaching.
.362/.397/.534
+2 si / +2 pot
Maybe the scouts over-bumped him and he'll land on 14 ... but "I'm feeling much better now"
(where is that John Astin emote?)
knoxvol

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Elliot was a 13 pot when I drafted him in the 4th round. Just noticed today he has been bumped up to a 15 pot.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow thats a good jump from 13 to 15.
Where's he going to put all that SI?

Updated Wednesday, May 1 2019 @ 4:45:19 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Grats Knoxvol! He was a nice prospect at 13.

Allen54Chevy's question is my question as well. This guy now projects:
16 hit
19 BC
18 PD
18 pow
9 sp
11 field
11 range
18 arm
That (really) top ends all the verbal scouting, and comes close to maxing out non-scouted skills.

I was curious about what's going on. Started looking at a couple of teams 2040 draft. Ended up looking at a lot of teams. Saw 4-5 round 5-6 16 pots. They all looked like this guy. Even harder to place all the points suggested by the pot bar.

Not trying to take the shine off anyone's prospect. But I am suspicious that some of these guys may be in for further potential revisions.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball

Maybe the scouts over-bumped him and he'll land on 14 ... but "I'm feeling much better now"
(where is that John Astin emote?)

Welcome to the silly see-saw
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Heh.

Rereading Admin's post in the Bugs thread, it seems clear many of these players are in for further movement in their potential scouting.

See a few teams ditching players to pick up the newly promoted 13 pots sitting in free agency. May want to exercise a little caution. The risk profile for your average 13 pot player is now different.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Sage advice. --^
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@seca I admit, Deadwood released a couple players to pick up some POT 13 Free Agents. But to us, the cuts we made were worth the speculation on the young POT 13 Free Agents.

We cut:
- https://brokenbat.org/player/195826, who I think everyone would say was worth cutting for a pot13 pitcher whose pot might fluctuate

- https://brokenbat.org/player/152265, who is probably a fair backup OF/3B/SS but probably can't cut it as an every day starter above LL6

- https://brokenbat.org/player/183250, who was probably the most valuable prospect of my cuts, and who is behind in his development but might otherwise be a fair POT12 RP one day

Anyway, those three cuts to me were worth 3 POT13 17 year olds who may or may not stay as POT 13s, particularly since the 17 year olds are all pitchers:

- https://brokenbat.org/player/199474
- https://brokenbat.org/player/199402
- https://brokenbat.org/player/198295
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
i admit

It isn't my intention to call out or criticize anyone. I signed one of these guys myself.

Sounds like Deadwood made careful, calculated decisions. That's great - think its the intent behind the change.

I'm worried there are teams that have missed the conversation. Much of it took place in the Bugs forum which isn't always a must-read. These teams might cut a swath through their minors to squeeze in some free agent 13 pots, not realizing 13 pot doesn't quite mean what it used to.

The surprise was kind of fun, tho I wonder if we should have a news item so those that don't frequent the forum know what's up.
StretchDynamo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
On a similar note, my round 5 pick Roberson http://brokenbat.org/player/199467 was a POT 13 when I drafted him, which still had him looking a pretty good middle infield prospect, but now he's a 14 POT, which has me through the roof

That extra bump should round out his BC and PD traits pretty well

Updated Wednesday, May 1 2019 @ 12:00:47 pm PDT
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Just checked,I had a player bump from 14 to 15 pot which is nice. On the crappy side, had a pot 13 SP with a unhittable fastball drop to Pot 11. He is now on the open market 😕
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I had one guy bump from 13 to 14! But he is on Birmingham now...

Previous Page | Show Page |