Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Replacement due to injury   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not sure if this is intended behavior. Both my SS and my 3B were injured at the same time. They had the same replacement allocated, so he was picked to play SS. That meant the AI needed to pick a 3B from the remaining players. For some reason the AI picked Foxx to play 3B ignoring Ishii. Foxx is a better hitter (and the pitcher was a righty), but has no experience at 3B. Is this intended behavior? I'd kind of prefer a guy who can play the position over the batter.

Foxx no experience at 3b, Fielding 10, Range 17, Arm 13, switch hitter

Ishii capital 3B, Fielding 11, Range 10, Arm 17, righty (against righty starter)

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Kind of looks like it just uses the normal PH logic. In my last game my 1B was pulled 5th inning due to a pitcher change. But instead of putting Parsons (1B/OF, Righty, .766 OPS vs lefties) in, the AI brought in Foxx (2B/OF, Switch .603 OPS vs lefties) again.

Parsons 1B/OF, Righty, .766 OPS vs lefties

Foxx 2B/OF, Switch, .603 OPS vs lefties

I assume the AI thinks Foxx is a better batter, although not sure why it leaves him in the field after the AB. Regardless it looks like maybe the substitution for injury just uses the PH logic? Logic is a bit iffy for PH as is, not sure it should be the same for an injury replacement at the start of a game...

Looking back at a number of games it looks like Foxx just always gets substituted in first regardless of position, so I guess substitutions are 100% based on perceived batting skill? Makes these low performing overrated guys even more dangerous to have on the bench...

Updated Tuesday, August 22 2017 @ 5:33:43 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Ugh :( Just lost a game because of this. Once again Foxx brought into play first despite not having any 1B experience, and he makes an error to give up the winning run :(
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Foxx just comes in no matter what... Both catchers got injured, and they bring in Foxx over two other guys sitting the bench with catching experience... :(
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Here's what people don't understand -- just because you don't have experience for a particular position doesn't make a player total inept. Everyone has a little bit of experience (from little league??) playing all positions -- they just may not have a major or minor rating in it.

If they have appropriate skills (+ offense perhaps), maybe they are the best option.

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve, I don't think it's fair to lump all positions together. When have you ever seen a non-experienced player come in to catch a MLB game when real catchers are available? Many backups are horrible, horrible, horrible offensively, but they have a job because they can catch.

Improved owner settings could remedy many of these issues.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
May not be related ... wondering if replace for defense runs off some of the same logic.

I had two games recently (game 1 - game 2 ) where my manager (thankfully) pinch ran for Jeremy "Molina" Schneider. Both times with Hess, which is a good decision. Hess has good speed and good base running instincts.

In both those games my manager left Hess (9 arm 2B by trade; no obvious knowledge of C) in the game at catcher despite having DeJesús (19 arm trained C) available on the bench.

I fully expected this to cost me the games. Was fortunate it didn't. The irony is that I suspect my manager would be more than willing to pinch hit DeJesús for Hess if given the opportunity.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I am running under the assumption that a guy with "C" has considerably more experience than a guy with nothing. That may be the wrong assumption. But if it isn't, I want the guy with the "C" playing catcher, not the guy with no letter showing. You can see on by their on field performance they are doing very poorly. I frequently see games lost because these guys playing "out of position", make errors. So regardless of if they have "some" experience, they aren't the guys I would want to have in the game. And this guy is a horrible hitter to boot, so it is quite annoying that the AI keep bringing him in to strike out and then make errors in the field. Tempts me to just turn off all substitutions entirely...
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Well. My post isn't really related. :). If Schneider were injured DeJesus would start, not Hess. Was just looking for a place to grumble about replace-for-defence w/o starting a new thread.

Not sure how things are coded. Don't know if there are "dials" to turn. If there are dials, for both injury and replace I think it may be worth trying turning position knowledge up a notch or two.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree. Or at least consider a defensive replacement automatically after any pinch run or pinch hit.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
This is the umpteenth time we've made this suggestion.
So I'm not joining just to +1
I wish to point out one more detail to correct: even a substitute eligible at the required position may be the wrong choice!
Many a player was born with a position which is unfit to his skills.
You never ever played him at that position.
Then, all of a sudden, because of injury, POP he plays catcher, whatever, just because of an old, ill advised, never used supposed skill

In other words: I'd like to be able to delete, erase, scrap, undesired Position Eligibility for my players. At least for those coming from my scouts. It would make sense!
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This has never bitten me before this first season in Legends, but I can honestly say I lost a game or two this season due to poor management by the AI.

+1
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Improved owner settings could remedy many of these issues.

What setting would you add?

Rock - which two players should come in over Foxx? Christian Aleman?? His arm is terrible!

Which game was it and why does Foxx at catcher mean you automatically lose?

Thanks,

Steve

Updated Saturday, September 30 2017 @ 7:24:32 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What setting would you add?

You know what? That's an excellent question. In fact, I think we should start a thread with that, leave it open for a couple weeks and let everyone answer. After that, we could have discussions and eventually vote to create a top nine (it is baseball, after all) list. It would be pure fun and might even be productive.

Instead of exactly answering that now, I'll mention a few that are in place that I feel could make the most impact with some tweaking, listed in no particular order.

1. Defensive substitutions. To my knowledge I have never had a player come in for defensive purposes in a non-spring training game. I would suggest being able to list positions a player will come in for defensive purposes instead of being replaced for like it is now. One of the problems with the current system is pinch hitters come in and play weird positions; there's no way to know where they'll be. If it was changed to selecting defenders, it would compare their defense with what's on the field and then make the change in the 8th or 9th (setting or automated?) IF winning.

2. Pinch hitting. Have an option to only pinch hit when behind or tied. It's incredibly frustrating to see a completely out of place guy in the field when you're leading. That should not happen. Obviously this frustration is linked to the suggestion listed above, too.

3. Base stealing. Have aggressiveness settings for stealing second and third separated. I've lowered my settings dramatically over the past seasons (10 TEAM stolen bases for the year) because they attempt stealing third far, far too often. Getting thrown out at third with two outs made me pull way too much hair from my head.

4. As this thread's title reads, replacements due to injury. This one is much more complicated, but could use an overhaul. Has anyone else played Sim Dynasty? I think it's line-up settings are fantastic. I haven't played in a couple years. I'll have to search my memories about how it works and see if I can explain it somewhat coherently at a later date. Compared to what we have here, it may seem very complicated at first, but it really isn't. You basically just rank the importance of positions and the manager fills in the line-up after injuries accordingly, essentially using a depth chart.
For example, many of us, as we stated in this thread, would place catcher very high on the list. Let's assume we rank it first. That means that if the primary catcher is injured, it would put the second listed catcher in the line-up even if normally starts at another position.
Again, I'll try to explain it in detail later.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I don't have problem adding some mgmt settings...the problem is I don't want managing a team to be like the Apollo mission -- where you need a whole mission control room to account for every possibility.

On some of these things, maybe the game engine needs tweaking. For example, may be the 'try to steal third' probability is to high. You don't see that in mlb much anymore anyway, right?

Steve
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
What’s the old rule? Never make the first or last out at third.

I definitely agree that stealing settings should be weighted MuCH more toward applying to stealing 2d and MUcH less towards stealing 3d
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would argue that the “backup” selection to the right of the starting player in the lineup screen should be what is used to decide who comes in in a defensive replacement. This way we can instruct the AI who our ideal replacement is and have much more control over late inning swaps. As it is now, it’s too risky to let the AI decide who they will sub in so I’m not allowing the engine to do it at all either anymore.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@wickersty, you really need to read the original post. It explains the situation you are confused about.

@Steve, I never said I automatically lose. I said Foxx is playing out of position where he has no reason to be playing. And he is making errors, which give the other team extra runs, which has made me lose several games. I just think the AI needs to be improved. Instead of bringing in the same bum for every position, I'd like it to actually give weight to position experience when choosing a replacement. Its not just catcher, Foxx is preempting (better hitting) guys at 1B too. Why would the AI bring in a guy with no 1B experience over a guy with full "1B"? Just seems like the AI needs a tweak, because it isn't doing a very good job at selecting replacement players.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Forget about the catchers. Why did Foxx come in instead of Ishii and Parsons (First two posts). Those are the positions where he is causing games to be lost.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@rock yup. I thought we were purely talking about regular defensive replacements /pinch hits. Your original post is even more of a unique, particular situation. But the same improvements to pinch hit/defensive replacement logic surely could still apply to how it decides who should have come in for you.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm sure you've said many times, Rock, that defense doesn't matter much at first. It's probably the least significant defensive position, with LF and RF being the only possible exceptions (other than pitcher, obviously, and no one is pitching because of their defense).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Fielding isn't as important at 1B, but it doesn't mean I want to put a guy who can't play there. I lost a couple games this year because Foxx (with no 1B experience) made errors at 1B while a better hitting fully trained 1B sat the bench.

There is a big difference between a guy with low fielding who is trained at 1B and only fields at .985 and an untrained joker who is fielding at .937. Fox got 29 games at 1B this year despite him never being assigned to play 1B...
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow. That's horrendous luck/fielding. I have a similar thing with one of my catchers finding his way there late in five games committing 2 errors for a .778 FPCT. He's rated a 6 in fielding, which is why he's behind the plate (well, that and his 19 arm). Thankfully he's never started a game at first. Those late game settings are pretty bad. The starting lineups/backups are poor, too, but take bad luck of multiple injuries combined with the inability of being able to check in. Bad late game settings can only be avoided by not allowing any in game substitutions.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hehe. I regret necroing the thread, but I thought this was funny.

Earlier in the thread I grumbled about my manager pinch running for my catcher with a 2B and leaving him in the game defensively despite having a very good defensive replacement on the bench. I speculated that my manager might even pinch hit for the 2B with the backup catcher if given the opportunity.

That's what happened in the game linked.

9th inning
- Manager pinch ran for catcher with 2B in the 9th (good).
- Managers leaves 6 arm no knowledge 2B in to play catcher (bad)

10th inning
- manager pinch hits for 2B-playing-catcher with backup catcher (funny imo :) )
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Not surprised 😂

Previous Page | Show Page |