Baseball Forum

Forum >> Baseball >> Astros   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28476780/sources-houston-astros-jeff-luhnow-aj-hinch-suspended-1-year

https://www.halosheaven.com/2020/1/13/21064121/mlb-levies-astros-punishment

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/breaking-the-cheating-scumbag-houston-astros-just-got-hit-with-one-of-the-biggest-punishments-in-baseball-history

And Luhnow and Hinch were immediately fired.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So is Alex Cora in Boston next?

Steve
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Given the issues swirling around Cora in Boston for the exact same thing, he might end up being banned for life a la Pete Rose.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. Cora should get it worse.

I've seen the punishment called light a number of places. Seems about right to me. Shame the draft picks are so deep in the round tho.

I find the whole thing a little difficult to believe. Its a certainty you are going to get caught as players leaving the organization have little reason to stay quiet. Guess they figured it would be worth whatever punishment they were eventually given.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Cora got fired today...penalties coming for Boston?

Kind of wonder how many teams actually do something like this...

Steve
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Some younger baseball fans I've been talking to essentially are viewing the penalties as a slap on the wrist. I'm paraphrasing, but many of the are saying "if I could cheat and win the World Series, and all it cost my team was a few top draft picks, a manager for a year, and a relatively small fine, you bet I'd cheat." The fact that players aren't receiving punishment—likely because MLB doesn't want to wrestle with the MLBPA into the pre-season—is also frustrating.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
If you told me the price of winning a World Series was $5 mil and after that team aged out we'd have a lull in talent for a couple of seasons, I'd ask why aren't my Reds doing this?!?!

I think it was shady that the MLB report began by stating that Crane knew nothing of the sign-stealing. Lol, ok. I became a billionaire business owner by not knowing and controlling absolutely everything that goes on in my company. Yup, just crossed my fingers and hoped it all worked out.

As always, some mid-level guy get the ax while those responsible get off, in this case the owners and the players.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven -- yep fully agree, tho I don't consider myself a younger fan at 49 years old.

What would be fair? Maybe closer to $50-100 mil fine and loss of draft picks in rounds 1-7 for 5 years.

@PSF -- yep most likely right

Beltran, Cora, Hinch should be banned for 5 years minimum. Beltran should be banned from the vote for the Hall of the Very Good, while Cora and Hinch should be banned from the Hall of Half Way Decent Scrub.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Oakland's Mike Fiers needs an under-the-table $100k reward from MLB for protecting the integrity of the game. He could've reported this anonymously. I'm proud of him.

Life took me to Houston the year they won. That was when Houston had a flood. Hurricane Harvey. (Astros are not my team though.) I donated food, I volunteered, whatever. The city rallied around that World Series win and brought everyone spirit, hope and a break from reality. I was there. What a shame. Stealing Stros.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Beltran gone from the Mets now too...

Steve
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just going to leave this here. The wearables issue is just another wrinkle in this whole mess.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Jose Altuve interview, jersey coverup sparks electronic buzzer speculation

Steve
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
Poor Mets man. They just wanted a manager.
But as a Yankee fan. I wish the Astros got a stronger punishment, especially with this whole wearables fiasco.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I want my Houston Asterisks t-shirt.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball

I want my Houston Asterisks t-shirt.

Laughing so hard right now!
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That is pretty darn funny.

I hate this so much, though. Not what baseball needs. And as a lifetime Royals fan, I'm seriously bummed about Beltran's involvement. (You forgot he came up with KC, didn't you?) He and Mike Sweeney were my favorite players from the years that surrounded 2000. At least I still have Mike.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi-5 for Sweeney! I'm out in STL, so the Royals have at least been on my radar over the years. Remember being on the verge of crying during 1985's I-70 World Series.

Indeed, this is a bad look for MLB, and they seem to keep stepping in it with they way they manage these sorts of blow-ups. Not a fan of Manfred and his policies, either, which just gets my goat further. Sure, I get it, the drive to succeed can cause people to do things they shouldn't, that aren't encouraged as part of the game, but it really blows to see the integrity of the game to get tarnished by systemic cheating efforts. Sounds like some players' friendships are even getting bruised in this whole ordeal. Oof.
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
Take a Google search of "Houston Asterisks" and you'll see a goldmine.
[img]https://external-preview.redd.it/gZ1V1PrGjlEF7yMaHQ7jPKKFLRrPNlskHv3RQX1ybUA.jpg?auto=webp&s=3d1a175e36797137303cd525102782efde55f756[/img]

EDIT: Honestly I just gave up trying to add the images. I'd use a hosting site but it takes too much effort right now.

Updated Monday, January 20 2020 @ 1:51:23 pm PST
Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Take a Google search of "Houston Asterisks" and you'll see a goldmine.
[img]https://external-preview.redd.it/gZ1V1PrGjlEF7yMaHQ7jPKKFLRrPNlskHv3RQX1ybUA.jpg?auto=webp&s=3d1a175e36797137303cd525102782efde55f756[/img]

EDIT: Honestly I just gave up trying to add the images. I'd use a hosting site but it takes too much effort right now.

Why don't you use imgur, or other more amicable picture hosting site?
Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
yM5Qdzx.jpg

Here you are

Updated Monday, January 20 2020 @ 2:22:03 pm PST
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
I was super lazy yesterday haha. It felt like too much effort lol.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh my word. What were the Astros thinking? Why have today's press conference? That was just awful.

Blame everyone no longer in the organization. Pretend. A lot. Let Jim Crane make a complete fool of himself. On and on it went.

You have to see or hear it to get the full impact. I despise them more than before, which is pretty impressive.

If you can, find it somewhere and watch the very end. It encapsulates the whole thing very well. Horrible. Just horrible.

Previous Page | Show Page |